Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Might make more sense to use two tanks with the degritter. I’ve been using 1ml of surfactant in the degritter and don’t notice any residue. Another option might be a pure water rinse or two on a Vpi. Or the reverse heavy cleaner on the Vpi and essentially a super deep rinse with the degritter. I’m in the position of removing residue left by the fu$&@$; goldring sleeves I was using on records already cleaned with a Vpi. I’m using an IPA wipe followed by the degritter with 1ml and it seems to be working well. I’m at 50/1000 cleaned so far in 3 days.

2. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Anyone use Tergitol in their Degritter?

3. Vinyl Archaeologist

Is anyone using the yellow replacement filters. I got some of these from musicdirect and they look quite a bit more porous than the stock filters.

4. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

RC2257 and robertawillisjr like this.
  5. robertawillisjr

6. Silklee

Silklee Active Member

Hi guys, i just got hold of my Degritter.
    One question about the filter. Do you guys reuse it after taking it out to wash? For mine, even after washing, it will not be as white as it originally was. Is it ‘safe’ to reuse it?

7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

Impatiently waiting for mine to arrive..

8. Vinyl Archaeologist

I wash mine in IPA and rinse in water after 25 runs when I change the water. I put a new on in at 50. Still experimenting though.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  9. Silklee

Silklee Active Member

The filters are kind of expensive as they seem to be just some foam filter. Anyone knows it we can get something commercial and just cut to size and shape or already available in that shape and size?

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  10. robertawillisjr

Wash with dish soap and vinegar and rinse with water after 20-25 runs and replace after 50. I have experimented with cleaning after 50 and replacing after 100 but the filter is difficult to get clean after 50. Thought about bleaching it and just may in future trials.

RC2257 likes this.
  11. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Wouldn't bleaching just make the dirt whiter?

In dust collection (my world), moderately loaded (dirty) filters clean better than clean ones.

12. robertawillisjr

I wouldn't know about the first question but I haven't tried bleaching yet. I don't feel comfortable about completely rinsing the bleach from the filter and wonder what effect some bleach residue would have on the vinyl.

Are you saying that we shouldn't try to completely get all of the dirt out of the filters? Hmm.

13. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

In the realm of air filtration, the particulate matter captured in a filter actually IMPROVES filtering. It also reduces flow, but still, I don't think filters that "look" dirty necessarily need to be replaced.

Just something to think about.

14. robertawillisjr

Thanks.

15. bluespiano

bluespiano Well-Known Member

I recently purchased the Degritter and after 100 records cleaned, I couldn't be happier. The cleaner is easy to use and most important it's very effective. Every record I've run through has exhibited improvement. Mostly the improvement is dramatic to say the least. I have a very large collection and have been paring it back. One focus has been the elimination of records which from my point of view aren't listenable. I've been focusing on classical as I find lots of surface noise kills my enjoyment of the genre. So I've taken probably hundreds of such albums back to Goodwill the last several years. I had a stack of 10 such classical albums I'd listened to and decided to return. Please note all these albums had previously been run through a DIY ultrasound. Many of them several times each. Once these were cleaned in the Degritter, the majority of the noise was gone! Also a veil had been lifted from the record and new detail was experienced. Back into my collection they go. I could go on and on, but this machine is truly fantastic. Of course what is yet to be determined is the reliability, particularly with all the issues at production startup. What's nice is they offer a 2 year warranty. The bottom line is the machine is actually fun to use and amazingly effective.

16. Cereal Killer

17. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

That water is for drinking, has minerals "added for taste."
    I've no idea if that makes it unsuitable for record cleaning but personally I'd avoid it in favour of distilled water with nothing added.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  18. Popmarter

Popmarter Forum Resident

Hi, after years working with a Okki Nokki and a selfmade ultrasonic cleaner setup, i decided to sell it and save up for a degritter. Is anyone of you use the Degritter for needledrops? What is your experience?

19. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I have a confession to make...MD shipped my Degritter and it is arriving on Friday. I am super excited :agree:

I have been using an Okki Nokki for a few years and looking forward to be able to clean my records more efficiently. I am planning to keep both at first in case I get a really grimy record and need to deep clean. I really like the Okki Nokki but its rather laborious, isn't it?

Vinyl Archaeologist and r.Din like this.
  20. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Hey, check above, you can see a vid I did having these exact two devices. Yeah, I kept my Okki, and have used it on less than a dozen records since getting my DG.

But, when you need it...you need it.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  21. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Not at all saying it's viable, but if you can keep both, try, at least until you get your new cleaner and use it for a while. All depends on how many used records you mess around with

22. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

The Degritter has not arrived with tracking showing the shipment is delayed but it appears it is within a few miles of my door. (Thank you, FedEX :() I am praying I do not get a broken one like the poor bloke from earlier in the thread. I was thinking of getting a Spin Clean because the Okki Nokki takes up a lot of space. I have heard they work really well with grimy records.

23. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

After about 800 records my Degritter stopped pumping the water out correctly. I contacted them and they suggested one or two fixes. One was to update the software as mine was an original unit and still had the old program as I never felt the need to upgrade. Anyway, when that failed to remedy the problem, Uku and the gang at Degritter sent me a new unit as fast as they could get one off the line. They wanted my old one back but didn't wait to ship a replacement. I was without the unit for just 3 weeks. Excellent customer service I am happy to report!

klownschool, mike_c, RC2257 and 8 others like this.
  24. Cereal Killer

Appreciate your

25. Cereal Killer

This may be a stupid question but I'll like to know if there is any issue if sodium is present in the distilled water we use? I have been checking out the content of distilled water sold in my area and so far, all contain sodium.

RC2257 likes this.