Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I see that the Degritter update requires an SD card and I was thinking "who the heck has an SD card reader these days?" Then I looked at the back of my 2015 iMac 5K.
    "Oh...I do, apparently." :)

It's an SDXC card slot, which I presume (hope) works for regular SD cards (?)

2. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Likely an awful lot of people who are grinding their teeth about Apple's decision to remove the SD card slot from all current models. All thanks to Sir "I love dongles; don't you?" Jony Ives. Prick.

madrac likes this.
  3. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Yeah that should work. As long as the SD card is FAT32 formatted, you can download the file to it and update your Degritter.
    Jony Ive? He left apple over 3 years ago. And the SD card slot is back too, for example on the 14 MacBook Pro models. Anyway. We are terribly of topic with this.

4. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Forgive me if this has already been covered earlier, but does anyone have a good source for the adapter grommets. I seem to lose one every time I clean a 7".

5. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

Here's an accelerated video of the complete 2-tank process (wash with surfactant/ultrasonic & then rinse with dH2O/ultrasonic):

... and of course, you can opt out of doing the 2-tank process.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    MattHooper, VinBob, SpinIt and 2 others like this.
  6. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

Difficult to say if there is an audible difference with the 2 tank setup. But the dissolved minerals in the surfactant tank v dH20 tank after a few washes/rinses seems to indicate the benefits of using 2 tanks:

Surfactant tank after a few washings:
    [​IMG]

dH20 tank after a few rinses:
    [​IMG]

7. Charile

Charile Forum Resident

I have cleaned more than 10 sheets with no problems, how did you do it?

8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'd be interested to know what your surfactant tank reads prior to cleaning any records.

edwyun and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  9. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Hi All,

Unless I am reading things incorrectly in the new user manual, are Degritter now suggesting that you run the Degas function with the cleaning fluid added to the water? I know previously, we were only to Degas the water first and then add the cleaning fluid of your choice. Interestingly, they also state that Degas is not necessarily required as it happens as part of the first wash that happens. This being the case, then one would assume they could remove the Degas function altogether...??

Cheers,
    Vin.

10. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Yeah, I read that too, and it makes kind of sense.
    If you don’t degass there will be more foaming at the start of a fresh tank of water, which results in a less efficient first wash cycle.

11. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks - So its OK to Degas with the fluid added then or should one stick with degassing water first and then adding the fluid - sorry, just a little confused here! :confused: Looks like Degritter are recommending the former now...

12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Are you sure? Could have swore I read it and they explicitly say to degas water BEFORE adding in surfactant

EDIT: just re read, you are correct! My bad

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  13. bloodlemons

Clumsiness? Drunkeness? Mental Illness?

I don't know why or how, but they are gone. Maybe blame the Roomba?

thrivingonariff likes this.
  14. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

I remember there was a debate about it many pages back where somebody contacted Degritter, and they said it’s fine to do it with surfactant added. Also, I’ve done it many times that way because I forgot to do it before adding surfactant, and I never had any issues. By the way, degassing uses the transducers just like with washing, but without an inserted record spinning because of the foam you get at the start.

15. Charile

Charile Forum Resident

You can contact the customer service mailbox or re-purchase, that is a customized product, I don't believe it will be sold in the market

bloodlemons likes this.
  16. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

In another portion of the new user manual, it still states to degas before adding the cleaning fluid. So...either they don't know which way is the best, or...it simply doesn't matter much. I'm going with the latter.

recstar24 likes this.
  17. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

I have reached out to Aleks and will let you know what he confirms back with. I don't think it's a big deal either way, but maybe through their testing and feedback, they have decided that its OK to degas with the fluid in the water.

mike_c likes this.
  18. bloodlemons

I wasn't sure if they were proprietary. OK, thanks for the suggestion.

Charile likes this.
  19. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

McMaster-Carr

Charile and bloodlemons like this.
  20. bloodlemons

21. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

Charile likes this.
  22. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

No worries and here is what Aleks came back with:

We came to the conclusion that there is very little difference. When Degassing after inserting cleaning fluid, the Degas program will mix the fluid with water a little better, so this is what we recommend.

So Degassing after adding the fluid is the way to go…

mike_c and recstar24 like this.
  23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Anyone here is thinking of upgrading to the Mark II model?
    It will be available on November 25.
    The Pulse Mode and the Frequency Sweep look interesting:

A)Pulse Mode cleaning is a feature offered by the Power Drive 2.0 ultrasonic generator. During pulsing, ultrasonic transducers rapidly switch on and off at high power. This gives enhanced cavitation in water, but keeps the average power consumption low.

B)The driving frequency of the Power Drive ultrasonic generator sweeps between 120-125 kHz. This evens the cavitation energy distribution in the water, minimizing losses and giving a uniform cleaning action.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I just realized that the Mark I already has the frequency sweep feature, am I wrong?

25. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

What I cannot tell from the announcement is whether the Mark II has space for 2 tanks built in, one for washing and one for rinsing, where you do not have to manually switch tanks (like now with the recent software update if you engage the rinse option).

If I remember correctly, the red version was also supposed to have 2 different ultrasonic speeds.

EDIT - it is not the version with 2 tanks built in.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022