Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

Yes, he fixed it as a few posts above - replaced the o-ring

2. mrbuckethead

mrbuckethead New Member

Is their e-mail address [email protected]? I still haven't heard back from them. Figured I would have by today.

3. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

I sent them an email last Tuesday (I believe) and got an answer today. Be patient.

4. Ramiro Orta

Ramiro Orta Well-Known Member

RE: Degritter Customer Support - after running 51 LPs through my new Degritter I started smelling a burning soldering scent. I turned off my Degritter and let it cool. After about 30 minutes I tried again, the smell came back even stronger. I contacted Degritter via email and the next day received an email that they had certain machines that had faulty parts from a manufacturer, Within 10 days I received a brand new replacement. Everything went smoothly and I have a new machine. Great customer service. I originally thought that I may have caused it because I used a cover for the Degritter, but I never placed it on the machine unless it was fully off. If you experience issues, immediately contact their customer support. They are excellent.

5. mrbuckethead

mrbuckethead New Member

Jealous of how quick the response was. I've now had mine out of commission for a week, took 4 days to get a reply back, then days of going back and forth. Hope it's not the case but I'm under the impression that they're not sending the replacement until next Friday.

6. jonbcalderon

jonbcalderon Active Member

Is it worth it to upgrade to the Mark II? I’m deciding if I want to sell mine to upgrade.

7. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

I thought I saw that Degritter had a trade-in program for MK I to MKII. Not sure if it's still in place.

As discussed earlier in this thread, looks like the new features are a stronger cavitation cycle (by switching transducers on/off) and a small sweep range (120 to 125 kHz), along with updates to the button feel and maybe an updated outer appearance. Personally, I don't think it's worth upgrading unless there's a really good credit for the old one on trade-in or yours has a substantial number of cycles.

5-String likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

madrac and recstar24 like this.
  9. mrbuckethead

mrbuckethead New Member

Got my replacement today. So far so good, super stoked to be back in the ultrasonic game. I've seen the question but never saw the answer in regards to using the Humminguru adapters. I ended up buying the 10" and 7", using the 10" right now and works just fine. Only thing I would recommend getting before using the adapters is a pair of gloves. Kind of difficult getting the records in and out without leaving fingerprints on the records.

madrac and recstar24 like this.
  10. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

Good to know the Humminguru adapters work - one can get both shipped from HK for the cost of one of the Degritter ones

11. Shindofan

Shindofan New Member

So, has anyone seen Michael Fremer's review of the Klaudio-KD -CLN-LPT 2000T RCM on his Tracking Angle website? He seems to be dissing Degritter's choice of 120 kHz transducers as well as their placement ...

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

As he mentions, he reviewed the Degritter - Mark I very favorably in Stereophile.
    Digritter does not require a surfactant, as a matter of fact, the use of the surfactant is optional so this is typical misinformation by Fremer, who constantly contradicts himself and distorts reality and data in his reviews.
    Nor does Degritter use 150kzh so I am not sure what he was referring to there as I do not know of any ultrasonic RCM that uses that frequency.
    To his credit, Fremer acknowledges in the video that he is no expert and he just repeats information that he received from Kirmuss or from the people in Klaudio so there is not much credibility in what he says imo.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    RC2257, Charile, j.barleycorn and 3 others like this.
  13. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Ultrasonic tanks 'grow' bubbles Principle-of-ultrasound-cavitation-16-The-initiated-bubbles-grow-due-to-evaporation.png (850×553) (researchgate.net) until the bubble collapses. Watch this video between 6:19 and 8:30 Cavitation - Easily explained! - Bing video to see how the bubble collapses.

These are some of the basic rules for UT tanks.
    -For ultrasonic tanks, the bubble diameter is inversely proportional to the kHz, so a 40 kHz UT produces a large bubble than a 120kHz UT.
    -The cavitation intensity is proportional to the bubble diameter and the tank power (watts/L).
    -The power to produce cavitation is proportional to the kHz, so a 120kHz UT needs more power than a 40kHz.
    -The number of cavitation bubbles produced is proportional to kHz, so a 120kHz produces more bubbles than a 40kHz, but smaller bubbles.
    -The smaller the tank volume, the more power that is required. It has to do with the ratio of the tank volume to its interior surface area.

Anticipating the question, can a high-power 40kHz UT machine damage a record - yes, but time & temperature and spin rpm are variables and provided the record is not spun too slow (<0.3 rpm) and not allowed to get too (>45C), no evidence of damage with most table-top UT units.

Hope this is of some help.

r.Din, fje99, Charile and 2 others like this.
  14. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Hi All,

I have noticed quite a few dust particles on my LP's (new ones no less!) which are somewhat stubborn to remove even with my anti-static brush. I have also run my Ionizing air blower on the LP which I wonder how effective that is, and the dust particles are just tough to get off.

Are there any methods you can recommend as I want to try and get the LP dust free before I put it into the Degritter for cleaning. Would you recommend the use of a lint roller or would that leave some unwanted residue on the LP surface causing potential issues?

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing on any suggestions on dealing with this annoying issue!

Cheers,
    Vin.

15. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Hi All,

So I am convinced the AIVS ultrasonic fluid is affecting the highs on my vinyl. Can I simply remove what has been left on the LP by performing a water rinse on the vinyl and then re-cleaning with the Degritter solution?

cheers,
    Vin.

16. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Respectfully Vin, the point of the Degritter is to remove things like dust particles—particularly stubborn ones. That’s why you have it!

On LPs that are clearly dusty, I run a carbon fiber brush around before putting the LP in the tank, but otherwise don’t sweat it. If it worries you that much, just change the water and clean the filter more often.

JohnK

Nephrodoc and madrac like this.
  17. thegage

Yes. But having a second tank of pure distilled water for a rinse would be enough IMO. Reports I have read say the Degritter solution is more likely to leave residue than the AIVS, but certainly both will if you overuse them.

Note I have not noticed any degradation of highs using AIVS in combination with a small amount of DG fluid, and I have tried various combinations and doing a pure water rinse after. I haven’t heard any reliable evidence of impact on highs, and I’m not going to drive myself batty worrying about it. I know others think otherwise.

JohnK

madrac likes this.
  18. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks as always John! I do exactly what you do but I guess I am being a little over the top with the last few dust particles that do t seem to want to leave the LP. I’ll just ignore then those and clean away!

19. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks John. Did you speak with AIVS about mixing their solution with the Degritter and they said it would be OK or did you just experiment? Curious as to what made you go with the mix which sounds like a ‘best of both worlds’ scenario.

Cheers,
    Vin.

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The most effective way that I have found to remove dust from LPs is these powerful electric air blowers that you can find cheap on Amazon. They remove all dust, without touching the record and without creating static, or move dust around, or even pushing the dust deeper into the grooves.
    All these happened to me when I was using a regular brush.
    After all external dust is removed, the Degritter takes care of the rest.

madrac likes this.
  21. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

I used to use one of these with my VPI 16.5 RCM...it was one of those anti-static ones like used when building PC's. I don't use it now with the degritter.

5-String likes this.
  22. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks. I am actually using one of these devices you mention that adds ions to the air but it doesn’t remove all the dust particles on the LP and it’s still a little stubborn to get them all off with the brush. However, most of it is removed so the rest I guess will just come off as part of the Degritter wash.

5-String likes this.
  23. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Hi John,
    Remind me, are you using 5ml AIVS and 1ml of Degritter fluid for your tank? Apologies in advance if you mentioned this already...
    Cheers,
    Vin.

24. thegage

4 ml per liter, or 15 per gallon of distilled water, according to AIVS. I pre-mix it in a gallon bottle ahead of time, which also makes it easy to add to the tank as it gets used up over time during cleaning.

JohnK

25. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

I love that idea of just adding it to the 1 gallon container of distilled water which makes it easier to manage. I assume you then add the Degritter fluid after you fill the tank and if so, what amount of that fluid are you adding?

Thanks as always!
    Vin.