Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Good info. So at the cost of the machine (roughly $3300.00) you're not getting a one record cleaned for $1.00 value. I wonder if the machine goes out in less than a year with over 2500 cycles if they'll send a new machine free of charge?

2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

With less then $700 refurbishing fee (including shipping) Degritter still a good value per record for even huge collections...

SpinIt likes this.
  3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I do not believe number of cycles is in warrantee agreement. And after 2 years - again, ,$700 fee including shipping does full refurbish including new transducers

recstar24 and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Saying anything beyond 2500 cycles is bonus time would be very speculative and actually not an appropriate comment to make, as none of us have any kind of data or evidence to support that notion. Im not counting comments here because we know forum observations aren’t a viable piece of data in truly assessing a devices life span.

LeeS, j.barleycorn and 5-String like this.
  5. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Not speculative at all, and quite appropriate. It’s an estimate coming from Degritter itself. There is a thread on the Discogs forum with a lot of Q&A with Taniel, the founder and CEO of Degritter. In this thread he conservatively estimates 2000-3000 cycles. And whilst I agree that what users say in a thread on a forum can’t be used for statistics purposes, it is arguably no coincidence that the reports of transducer failure seem to confirm Taniel’s estimate.
    This, in combination with Degritter’s stellar customer service is very reassuring, and indeed good value. Talking about good value, I have had play-grading on expensive records go up from G+ to VG+, and from VG to NM!

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    recstar24 likes this.
  6. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

They sent me a new unit after my first died at around 2,200+ cycle. I had it for a year. That replacement unit now has 2,400+ cycles on it and I have had it for 17 months. The company said in writing the replacement unit has a 24 month warranty.

TheVillageRecorder and SpinIt like this.
  7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Can anyone remind me what is the warranty on the Degritter?

8. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

2 years.

Warranty
    Degritter (Degritter OÜ) warrants each new ultrasonic cleaning product against defects in materials or workmanship for a period of two years from the date of purchase, and agrees to repair or replace any defective Degritter record cleaning machines without charge. Shipping costs are non-refundable. This warranty is transferable. All warranty claims must be accompanied by the original proof of purchase.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER DAMAGE RESULTING FROM ACCIDENT, MISUSE OR ABUSE, LACK OF REASONABLE CARE, SHIPPING DAMAGE, MODIFICATIONS, THE AFFIXING OF ANY ATTACHMENT NOT PROVIDED WITH THE PRODUCT, OR LOSS OF PARTS .

Use of unauthorized chemical cleaning agents or liquids will void this warranty. Degritter will not pay for warranty services performed by a non-authorized repair or diagnostic service and will not reimburse the consumer for damages resulting from warranty service performed by a non-authorized repair service. No responsibility is assumed for any special incidental or consequential damages due to a defective Degritter product.

In order to obtain warranty service, contact our customer support ([email protected]) for information. The product must be shipped postage prepaid to an authorized Degritter service location. It is suggested that, for your protection, you return shipments of product by insured mail, insurance prepaid. Damage occurring during shipment is not covered by this warranty. Shipping costs are nonrefundable. No other warranty, written or oral, is authorized by Degritter.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thank you! I am on my second year but I only have 411 runs so I better move faster if I am going to beat these odds of my machine failing when out of warranty :D

PATB, SpinIt and recstar24 like this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Lol same I’m almost at 800 my 2 years will be November I’ve got a ways to go

SpinIt and 5-String like this.
  11. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

Still debating if it will be an upgrade from my Watson record cleaner. It is a significant investment but will it pay out? I have cleaned all my 2000 plus records with the Watson.

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I have LPs first cleaned using the GEM Dandy system, then on a VPI Cyclone. The Degritter improved them. Now, that could say something about my previous cleaning expertise, but I chalk it up to the Degritter. Whether that's worth the cost is up to you.

JohnK

ellingtonic and Arjan like this.
  13. nutop

nutop Active Member

is this when it's out of warranty or in warranty?

14. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

When it’s out of warranty.

nutop likes this.
  15. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed a white screen on display or funny pixels only after a clean cycle is complete. Something I just noticed. This is my second unit - just out of warranty with @800 cycles

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It has happened to me maybe 3 to 4 times in the year and a half that I own the Degritter.
    It returns to normal after I turn off the machine. It does not concern me much.

17. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Yes, I get it occasionally after the last firmware update, but not before that. Goes away by itself or after power cycling the machine.

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Is degas essentially the same thing as a quick cycle? I ask because I am finishing up doing my normal cleaning routine at every 200 cycles, and I follow the manual to the T by doing 5 quick cycles with vinegar and distilled followed by 3 quick cycles with just distilled (no drying). That essentially adds 8 cycles to the info clock, and should I just be using the degas function if it’s the same thing? (And won’t add 8 erroneous cycles to my clock)

19. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Degas is simply a short U/S cycle that gets dissolved gases out of the water. If you add vinegar to the first 5 cleaning cycles but use degas I think it would work, and then follow up with 3 of D/W. But, I don't see the advantage. You want to know how many U/S cycles the machine has performed, rather than the number of disks cleaned, don't you?

recstar24 likes this.
  20. Figment

Figment Forum Resident

As I transition from a dirty record collection to a fully cleaned one, I realized that I didn't really anticipate coming to the end. By that I mean I will be using the degritter less and less frequently; Not sure how to treat/monitor the quality of the cleaning water. I would assume the best approach would be to fill it with new soap and water every time there is a group of new records to clean, otherwise keep it dry, yes?

One other note: I found a grey film at the bottom of my water tank. I was able to remove it with a water pik water flosser that got it all out with not scratches or residue.

21. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I try and change my water every 7ish days. If I'm using it more regularly then I change the rinse water at 1/2 that interval.

22. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

I just use an Excel spreadsheet.

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

for what?

24. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

tracking which albums I've cleaned. Not sure what happened but there were some posts I replied to about how does one track cleaned albums but don't see them now.

recstar24 likes this.
  25. Wilson L

Wilson L Well-Known Member

I just got the Degritter Mk 2 this past week and have already cleaned about 150 records. It's an amazing machine. I mark cleaned records with a 1/2" sticky dot I got on Amazon (about $6 for a thousand). I write the date and note what cycle I used - e.g. "6/11/23 M" -"M" for a medium cycle. The dot is placed on the inner sleeve, upper right hand corner of the opening so I just have to pull it out a bit from the album cover to see if and when it's been cleaned.

gabbleratchet7 and recstar24 like this.