Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

When UPS fail to deliver on time! :shake: Delivery today. Hopefully...

Fridgetoo and Squiggsy68 like this.
  2. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Good luck! Mine has been great so far.

I haven't checked to see if there have been any firmware updates in the last couple of months - I'm sure yours will be factory fresh and therefore up to date but probably just worth checking the firmware version (instructions all in the enclosed booklet - but pretty intuitive anyway). The update they did a little while ago to deal with cooling the water was very welcome!!

r.Din likes this.
  3. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I’ll be selling my Audio Desk immediately! The Degritter cleans in a way the Audio Desk simply doesn’t. Took a bunch of “discard” records which were plagued with surface noise that I couldn’t remedy with my available methods, including manual brush scrubbing. They all came out of the Degritter significantly improved. Two new LPs were quieter than any new vinyl I’ve previously cleaned. Now I’m gonna have to reclean my collection!! Well worth the wait.

4. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

That's great to hear :). I couldn't be happier with mine - am still not convinced it cleans things up that much better than my Loricraft (which does what it's meant to do really well) - but clearly wins out in being at least as good cleaning wise, and streets ahead in terms of convenience, far reduced manual intervention and ability to clean more records per hour (probably 8 with the Degritter vs. 5 or 6 with the Loricraft). Much smaller form factor as well, for those it might matter to.

Happy cleaning!!

PS - I noticed on the site to day that there's a new firmware upgrade dated 30/10 so will be installing that over next couple of days. Continuous improvement cycle from Degritter is also a bonus.

Fridgetoo likes this.
  5. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

My firmware was 0.0.2 out of date :D So, yeah they must have just released it...

Lovely looking unit. What drying time/power do you use?

Fridgetoo likes this.
  6. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

After a weekend of using the Degritter I am totally convinced. Every single album has come away quieter, and often silent. Even those used albums with baked in noise sound less disagreeable. The Audio Desk comes nowhere near as clean, even with help from pre-cleaning on other devices.

Only real issue is that the water gets warm quickly and after 10 records or so you start to hit the cooling cycle which adds time to a clean. Think I'll grab a 2nd water caddy so I can switch over to cool water and allow the hot one to naturally cool.

7. Bug Me Not

Bug Me Not Forum Resident

Thanks for your feedback. Any additional insight after 2 more weeks?

8. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Following this thread closely as I'm interested in an ultrasonic cleaner over the next 6 months. Hopefully others contribute as well. Comments so far are quite helpful!

9. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Not really, beyond the fact that it is still delivering the best sounding records out of any cleaner I've tried over the years. I bought a 2nd water caddy so once the water cooling cycle kicks in (after about 8 records) I can swap the water over and can carry on without the extended cycle and allow the warm water to cool off ready to swap in should the 2nd caddy get warm.

Also cleaned a bunch of stubborn records for a friend and he claimed all sounded better and that two were transformed from crackly beasts into silent joys. It certainly seems that IF a record can be silent this is the machine to get you there. Even on records with damage related crackle it seems to tame it and make it less unpleasant.

The Degritter and the Sweetvinyl SugarCube are game changers for the way I listen to vinyl.

Tommyboy and Squiggsy68 like this.
  10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

11. Bug Me Not

Great, but do your comments about the Degritter include the SugarCube as part of your regular audio chain?

12. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

What are you asking?

13. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I'm curious why De-Ionized water is not recommended.
    Is it because the acidic properties of the water may eventually damage the walls of the tank?

14. Bug Me Not

When you said records cleaned with the Degritter had often come away silent, were you listening through the SugarCube (which seems to have a built-in click&pop removal processor)?

15. degritter_taniel

degritter_taniel Active Member

This was a precautionary warning as the pure de-ionized water can absorb atmospheric carbon dioxide and can produce carbonic acid and also we were afraid that the total lack of ions can theoretically cause our sensors to not detect the water.

The carbonic acid is very weak acid and the theoretical issue with the sensors is not something that can happen.

From the new manual we have removed this warning where we cautioned against deionised water. You are good, as long as the water does not contain minerals that can cause limescale.

The new manual is available in our Support Center and can be downloaded from here:
    https://degritter.com/manual/Degritter-manual-v2.1-ENG.pdf

16. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I've been using De-Ionized water as a rinse with great results. I've been contemplating using it in the tank itself.

17. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Yes, but the SugarCube was in (analogue throughput) bypass in order to assess the Degritter properly.

luckybaer and macster like this.
  18. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

FYI, got my Degritter, and starting off a series of video reviews. Happy to respond with any questions in the comments, will be comparing directly to my Okki Nokki (and experience with my old Spinclean)

Video 1: Unboxing

19. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Just ordered one through Music Direct. It will replace my Spin Clean system. Perhaps I am getting lazy :). This an expensive item. I hope that it works out for me. :cool:

Isamet likes this.
  20. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

robertawillisjr likes this.
  21. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

I recorded my first cleaning, along with a rant about paper sleeves. :)

(launches tomorrow morn)

I've been doing significant testing, so far I've been extremely pleased. More to come!

Tommyboy, Isamet and r.Din like this.
  22. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...hey, if anyone has specific questions you'd like me to address on video lemme know

23. Bug Me Not

I'm getting the impression you are mistaking this forum for advertising space for your commercial youtube channel. I'm not sure this is even allowed on here. I value the independent opinion of every private individual that has contributed so far, but, looking at all the (guerilla) marketing tactics you employ, your opinion is worthless to me.

I wonder why the manufacturer (@degritter_taniel), who has been acting very transparent so far, would rely on such a shady type of marketing. To me, this casts a very bad light on the product.

Ontheone likes this.
  24. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Marketing? I'm a professional reviewer, and someone purchasing the unit, trying my best to address whatever questions you guys may have and speaking to the very people that, like me, might actually care. Since I had a bunch of questions myself before I got the thing I figured it'd be helpful in this forum, where I've had many of my own queries answered over the years, to let those know before they get it what's involved. I'm no shill, and your cynicism is more than a bit misguided.

So, your accusations are unfounded, haughty attitude unappreciated, and frankly unnecessary given the esoteric nature of this product. We're a small group who would buy the thing in the first place, figured I'd check in with fellow members of a community to see if I could help give back. I assure you the dozen or so people I made this video for and have actually watched it (clearly you have not) aren't part of some marketing gambit, so I recommend you direct the bile somewhere else.

Vinylfindco, JHC3, jj817 and 5 others like this.
  25. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...again, happy to address any questions in an open and transparent way.

Drew769 likes this.