Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Did you buy it from the UK? I’d gladly buy a bottle off you

2. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I didn't buy it; I just looked up the distributor and filled out a sample request online.

A rep called and asked me what I was going to use it for, and I said vinyl cleaning and surfactant testing in an ultrasonic tank.

So they shipped me a bottle.

So, a couple of drops? Plus some Isopropyl alcohol? How many drops of that? ( i keep seeing 2.5% but does that mean 2.5% of the reservoir should be IPA or what?)

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  3. Vinyl Archaeologist

I think it comes out to about 25ml-35ml depending on how full the tank is

terzinator likes this.
  4. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

First well dome on getting the LS54 for free; you probably enough for years. Otherwise, here is how to use:

Add IPA to reach 2.5% in Degritter Tank, so with tank of (1400 mL)(.025) = 35 mL of 100% IPA, or 38 mL of 91% IPA or 50 mL or 70% IPA.

Add LS54 to reach 0.005% in Degritter tank, so with tank of (1400 mL)(0.00005) = 0.07 mL. Obviously this is a very small amount that is about 1-drop. However, a better way to deal with this is to prepare a 1.0% LS54 solution = In a 1 liter container add 10 mL of LS54 and fill with distilled/demineralized water. From this to get a 0.005% LS54 in the 1400 mL Degritter tank add = (0.00005/0.01) x (1400 mL) = 7 mL 0f the 1.0% solution.

bloodlemons, terzinator and darkmass like this.
  5. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Has anyone run the vinegar deep cleaning cycle that Degritter now recommends between 300 and 500 cleaning cycles? I'm doing it but I'm wondering about vinegar residue in the cleaning chamber. I really don't want to waist the DW to rinse it out. I figure I'll do a full dry of the chamber after that last vinegar cycle.

6. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Not my Degritter, but I did do a vinegar wash of my distilled water maker. Thought I'd rinsed it well, but the next time I used it it still smelled and worse, afterwards there was a vinegar "sludge" left. After some more washes it's gone. Don't think I'll be putting vinegar in my Degritter any time soon...

7. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Vinegar is water + acetic acid and white distilled vinegar is generally labeled 5% Acidity; but it can vary to as high as 30%. As an acid its commonly used to remove scale - the most common hard-water scale is calcium & magnesium carbonates; as a disinfectant its weak, it can kill mold but it the common guidance is it needs 1-hour. With this in mind, what are they trying to clean/remove. Some here have addressed that when using the Degritter cleaning solution they have seen a scum-line at the water line. We do not know the formula of the Degritter cleaning solution but if it any ingredient starts as a flake/powder - that could be a source; or it could be a build-up from record contaminants - at the water/vapor line dried or scum-type residue can form. But, the tank is mostly sealed, so you would expect the humidity in that area to high enough to keep things wet.

However, some debris coming off the record will float to the surface. When the ultrasonic tank pumps-down some of the debris that is floating will deposit/stick on the walls and some will filtered. Not that you have this problem - but industrial ultrasonic tanks used to clean oily parts often have a surface skimmer to remove junk that floats to the surface. The fact that ultrasonic tank cannot be easily accessed to be periodically cleaned manually is a disadvantage. The alternate low residue chemistry using only 2.5% IPA/<100 ppm nonionic surfactant (LS54 or 15-S-9) should minimize cleaner residue because it will not dry as a solid. But the Degritter filter is not very a fine filter.

However, here is a thought - contact Degritter and see what they think about installing a 50-micron pad in the water tank that is only 1/8" thick - Amazon.com: Polishing Filter Pad 50 Micron - Superior Polishing Pad for Aquarium - Cut to Fit 24" by 36" Media for Fresh Water & Saltwater Fish Tanks and Terrariums - Made in USA (1 Pack 50 Micron): Pet Supplies. This filter pad is many times finer (smaller pores) than what they currently use - but do not use this pad for the current filter - too much pressure drop for the suction. This pad should be possible when pumping down from the UT tank to water tank where the pad would be at the pump suction. But, not sure of from the water tank to the UT tank because it may add pump suction losses causing the pump to cavitate (even more). Or, if they change the current filter to nothing more than a strainer to protect the pump this will decrease the pump suction loses, then using the 50 micron filter pad in the water tank may work because the pad thickness of only 1/8" should present less pressure drop because its thin but with lots of surface area (L x W) you still get filtering.

Just some thoughts

8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I use vinegar to clean the machine after about 100 cycles. When I first bought my unit I left the tank full (with cleaning fluid) for the full five days and cleaned upwards of 50 records. I noticed an odor towards the end of this period and thankfully the vinegar cycle eliminated the odor.

Now, I rarely leave the tank full for more than a few days and only to clean a select batch of records. I still use the vinegar wash after about 100 cycles since it seems to do no harm and vinegar is an effective cleaning agent. I also clean the tank in the dishwasher from time to time and I check for any scum buildup on the water outlet of the tank.

9. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

What kind/brand of vinegar do you use?

Where do you buy it, in the grocery store?

10. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

So after running the vinegar solution I put a little DW in the cleaning chamber and drained it by turning the machine off and on a few times.

Now here's a new problem. My tank cracked in the back (3 inches long) where it goes against the machine. Inspecting the tank I can see what look to be other stress areas that might also crack. I've treated this tank very gently only rinsing with hat water when changing solution. I've contacted Degritter to see what they have to say. Someone posted that Degritter approved of using IPA and Vinegar so I don't know if that's to blame or mine is a faulty tank.

I patched the crack with metal foil tape and covered that with butyl rubber flashing tape. It's secure and water tight but if it cracks in other places, I'm screwed.

BTW, I just used the typical 5% acidity grocery store white vinegar.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    r.Din likes this.
  11. terzinator

didn't you just get a brand new unit recently?

12. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Yup and I have about 360 cycles on it. The other unit had the US emitters quit on it. I sent it back to Estonia but I haven't heard anything about it since. I swear I'm only using these normally. I do run all Heavy cycles but I space them out so I rarely ever get into the Cooling mode. The tank is a puzzler. I can't imagine how I could handle it more gently than I do.

I think the only other reported problem was one user who lost his pump at 800 cycles.

13. terzinator

wow, you're way more dedicated than I am.

I hit it hot and heavy when I first got the thing, but i've slowed down in recent days. I maybe have 180 cycles on mine.

I just got a nice blue note 45rpm collection, so i'm going through those. Quick cycles for those because essentially new. Other general cleaning I'll go medium.

Generally I'll use heavy cycle for iffy used ones I find in the cheap bin, or old ones I've had since youth!

I kind of eyeball 'em to make the call on which cycle I'll use.

14. Vinyl Archaeologist

I clean everything heavy as this thing was expensive and I want my money’s worth. I’m around 1100 cycles but have slowed way down as of late. My record selling supply has pretty much been exhausted and with it my buying funds.

Everything seems to be working good and the odor issues I was having have been alleviated by good tank hygiene and running the 2.5% ipa. The only odor I smell is IPA and that’s good enough for me.

15. terzinator

Fair point!

16. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I'm at about 660 total. I figure that going Heavy on everything will give me peace of mind and allow me to just do a DW only rinse later if things get dusty. I've been home a lot lately so I can sort of clean throughout the day. That will change soon though.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  17. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I stopped with the IPA as I was worried about damage to different plastics. I don't know if I was justified in my concern but my tanks look OK. I'm leaving it out and just using the Degritter fluid.

18. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I sent an email to Degritter telling all. I'll post their reply. I have a hard time believing that the crack was IPA related since it went all the way through and suddenly. I would think the IPA would degrade the surfaces it touched and not penetrate all the way through. My understanding of crack propagation doesn't allow for the IPA as a mechanism. But I can be taught!

Someone here posted that Degritter said IPA was okay. If not, I will just go with the Tergitol and DW.

19. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I talked to Taniel just after I bought my unit and he said that alcohol was ok up to 50 mls per tank I believe. That said, he cautioned that too much could damage things. I experimented with a few different solutions but since my results didn't show any difference I decided why not keep potential damaging compounds out of the machine. Plastics can crack and warp due to stresses resulting from water being absorbed into the material. I certainly don't know if the alcohol was the culprit but we know that alcohol can also leach compounds out of certain plastics.

20. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Plastics can fail by what is known as environment stress cracking - JansenESC Article.pdf (madisongroup.com). In general acrylics are not compatible with high concentrations of alcohol >50%, and stress-cracking has been reported, but it also is generally accompanied with crazing. ABS is only fair with 20% acetic acid. The recommendation I made was 2.5% alcohol which is inconsequential and there are people who have used upward of 20% (fire & explosion risk notwithstanding) without similar failure and others have done many vinegar treatments without issue. However, not knowing the exact tank material, to err on the side of caution - add the IPA to the water. Do not first add IPA to the tank and then add water since this could expose the tank briefly to a high concentration of IPA.

21. fondfarewell

fondfarewell New Member

In case it helps clear things up, I recently reached out to Taniel about conflicting posts he’s made regarding the use of IPA on the Discogs forum. Here is his response:

The initial comment about damage to the machine from alcohol was made 3 years ago, when we were finishing our Beta testing phase. The initial Beta machines had problems with withstanding alcohol.

The retail version of Degritter is improved in this regard and it has not parts from acrylic plastics inside. So, you can use IPA or pure alcohol inside the machine for cleaning.

22. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I don't know but something that may be relevant is that assuming the crack started at the top of the plastic (not in the middle), since it's on the side that is against the machine, it's minimum of 1 inch above the highest point that I fill the tank.

23. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Based on that location - the IPA has nothing to do with it. Being that it is against the machine, it may be vibrating from the ultrasonics. When operating do you feel the tank vibration and is it getting warm/hot?

24. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

No, nothing. There is a slight gap between the machine and tank as well. What leads me to believe I have a funky tank is that one of the feet seems to have a stress area where it joins the tank bottom. Sort of a whiteish smeared line, like you get when you stress plastic.

25. Louie Belt

Louie Belt Well-Known Member

Mine at just over 300 cycles is starting to make a strange noise from the emitters. Did yours do this before failing? I always run "heavy" cleaning mode, but never more than 2-3 records in a day so it never makes it to cool-down mode. No error messages yet but I know it is coming. Also, how long has yours been down? I am debating buying a second unit because I am expecting long delays in the repair and turn-around cycle.