Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. sonduciel

sonduciel Spaced Out

I meant "I have a Pontus on order".

2. Gerardo Ortiz

Gerardo Ortiz Well-Known Member

The problem is on every input, usb, coaxial, optical. According to Alvin it was the amp clipping but this happens with every amp, cd player, steamer I've tested. It's a faulty Ares it's a fact but I still do not get a satisfactory response.

I wonder if others owners have realized their Ares have a problem.

3. sonduciel

sonduciel Spaced Out

Well, you really can't assume that every Ares has a problem even if yours does. I hope you get to communicate with Alvin and get this resolved.

DavidD likes this.
  4. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

Hello guys,

Thank you Gerardo for bringing this up here so that the readers can share the information and experiences to learn together.

Many tests were done by Gerardo, including using another sets of amplifier, sources, cables. Thank you for doing these for us to troubleshoot the issue, much appreciated. We just want to identify and be sure the fault is on the Ares II to decide the next course of action.

We are aware that some high dynamic range recording may cause clipping in the OS mode. This is usually repeatable. For example, clipping always happen at the same spots at track Hotel California 1'18". We can conclude this is software/firmware related, and it can be fixed by a firmware update.

We stand by our warranty policy. We just need a little more time in this challenging time.

Alive and kicking,
    Alvin Chee
    www.vinshineaudio.com

5. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I also have encountered micro dropouts from streaming on the Ares II from a Bluesound Node 2. I have not played CD through the Ares enough recently to really know if it's happending only on streaming. I originally thought it was my digital coax cable but I have since used a second similar cable and still experience it. Unfortunately, I cannot discern any pattern to it. Today, it did not happen over four hours of usage but on other days it may happen once or more. Please do keep us updated if you find a solution to this.

bever70 and adamos like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

He was making loads of money selling Denafrips but chose to cease selling due to moral issues and the lack of serial numbers. The Russian video and discussion confirms cheaper parts in current Terminator Dacs so what you buy now may not live up to the reviewed samples. Will admit factory is not like the typical sweatshop that western companies use to produce mobile phones.

7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

That sounds similar to what I’ve experienced with the Bluesound Node 2i. It’s like a very quick blip every now and then, and I haven’t noticed a pattern either. Last week I tried a test where when I caught one I backed up the track to see if it occurred in the same spot but that didn’t appear to be the case. I mainly use the Ares II in OS mode with the sharp filter. I’m really happy with it overall so at this point it’s more of an oddity/minor annoyance, but it’d be good to get it sorted out.

bever70 likes this.
  8. sonduciel

sonduciel Spaced Out

OK forgive me if I'm asking the obvious. But I don't remember anyone talking about their network connection *between* the Node 2i and the LAN or WAN. I myself had an occasional skip (not with Denafrips, with Node connected to a Cambridge DAC) that sounded very much like what people are describing. The problem was on the network side. When I address the Window network "share" on the spotty laptop I was running my flac files off, and put them on a desktop computer with an SSD drive, the problem has never returned. You may have already all thought of this already, but I thought I'd mention it.

adamos likes this.
  9. sonduciel

sonduciel Spaced Out

If this story is true, it would be most disappointing for those of us that have current units on order. Alvin Chee, can you please speak to this?

10. sonduciel

sonduciel Spaced Out

Thank you Alvin for checking in. If you could post a status here every now and then, or alternatively on the Vinshine website, as you did on February 27th, I personally would appreciate it. It helps support a belief that we will eventually get the product we ordered, and reinforce trust in the business.

bever70 likes this.
  11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I agree, it could certainly be an issue with the Node 2i or my network connection; that’s what I was thinking when I posted about it here last month. But I hadn’t noticed the blips prior to getting the Ares II and then others here mentioned they were experiencing a similar issue with other sources including CD players. So I haven’t ruled anything out.

sonduciel likes this.
  12. moops

moops Senior Member

I can't recall the last time I experienced a blip or "micro-skip" with my Ares II, not that it was ever a major concern for me anyway.
    When I did experience it, it was similar to thinking you saw something out of the corner of your eye and when you go to take a closer look, it's not there.

I've had mine since mid December, the QC card that came with the unit states it passed inspection November 2019. So it doesn't appear at that time they were sitting around the factory very long before they were out the door. When I placed my order my local dealer had just ordered a new shipment of units and it was about 2-3 weeks before I got it.

I have a CD and a DVD player connected using both Coax, and a Squeezebox via Optical (which doesn't get used that much)
    The Ares II is used every day, roughly 4 hours a night during the week, 12+ hours a day on weekends. When not in use it sits on standby.
    I've switched between the different NOS/OS modes and filters quite regularly.

I can still only rate it as ...... :edthumbs:

SirMarc, DavidD, basie-fan and 4 others like this.
  13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Totally separate from the micro-skip discussion, this reminds me that I’ve been meaning to ask everyone if they typically use standby mode or just keep it on all the time. I’ve been keeping my Ares II on just because I was doing that while it was breaking in and then I continued on with that. I’m not sure if there are any short-term performance advantages to leaving it on or longevity benefits to using standby, or if it is essentially the same either way.

bever70 likes this.
  14. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

It could certainly be a problem with the Bluesound since I use the Node 2. I can't be sure but I may not have encountered these blips since there was a firmware update a few days ago. I will continue to monitor.

adamos likes this.
  15. moops

moops Senior Member

I'm a bit funny about leaving gear on all the time as we have a lot of storms throughout the warmer months here and I can't be home all the time so safest bet is to switch things off.
    I have a hybrid amp so it gets switched off completely when not in use anyway. The Ares is the only piece of gear I have that has a standby setting other than my TV.

So I've been switching it to Standby for now rather than completely shutting it down by the main switch on the back, mainly because that was suggested by Alvin earlier in the thread as an alternative to leaving it powered on constantly.

adamos likes this.
  16. sonduciel

sonduciel Spaced Out

Please forgive me if this is a bit off topic, but realgone, could you go into the Help Menu and see what it says for the two release numbers? Node alerted me to an update, but the update didn't seem to go through, and now it says no update available. On the first two lines, I have "Android App:3.6.2, Build 2221" and on the second line "BluOS: 3.8.3". This seems inconsistent. I posted this here because you just had the firmware update.

17. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

My Android app version is 3.8.0 build 2311. BluOs ver same as yours.

sonduciel likes this.
  18. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

When I first got the Ares II, I felt that the unit in both standby and operating mode Didn't feel different in terms of temperature, just by touch and feel. So I have just left it on all the time.

19. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

I can't figure out how can this be true.

There is a quality standard we uphold to. I can't speak of the other manufacturers, but DENAFRIPS, for one, will not want to save the small cost to produce sub-standard products to tarnish its brand image. In fact, they are one of the rare manufacturers who believe in designing and producing the products at the best money can buy. Pontus/Venus were upgraded with beefy power supply in early 2018, Terminator PSU components were improved too.

I've been working with DENAFRIPS for close to 4 years now. DENAFRIPS, being a boutique hifi manufacturer, resources were limited. Many aspects may not be up to the big guy's standard. Take for example, the packaging - even though it is strong, robust for international shipment, it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing, unlike the big brands. Also, the serial number was missing (we track the warranty by invoice/receipt). In DENAFRIPS perspective, these weren't the focus at the point in time. They would rather pay all the attention in manufacturing, quality control and quality assurance, so to deliver a perfect product to the customer.

We operate in a quasi-direct sales business model where the profit margin is low compared to the conventional hifi business. In fact, our partners are doing us a favour to distribute the products at a very low profit margin. I am very thankful and appreciate their effort to provide local support to their customers in the designated territory. We parted way with some partners, but it has always been an amicable way.

We are constantly improving. These are the few photos of the recent shipments to address the serial # concern:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading guys. I gotta be back to work to push for more shipments to happen. Dozens of customers are at my back chasing for a ship date, a happy business problem :)

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
    Alvin Chee
    www.vinshineaudio.com

20. sonduciel

sonduciel Spaced Out

Yes I am one of them! Thank for responding to this concern.

bever70, moops and alvin1118 like this.
  21. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

When was the last unit shipped? It would be nice to know if any product is being shipped out.

I was promised 4 weeks with a 2 week delay, and it’s been 8.....

Seafinch likes this.
  22. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

Hi @Habitant,

Please email us at [email protected]
    I will look into your order personally.

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
    Alvin

23. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Alvin, while we appreciate you coming here and posting updates, the lack of real information and non-answers is a bit concerning. A handful of us have sent money and are just looking for some transparency.

"When was the last unit shipped? It would be nice to know if any product is being shipped out."

Thanks.

24. sonduciel

sonduciel Spaced Out

So were we all. The Covid blew all that out of the water. I am still waiting back on an estimate from Vinshine about expected delivery date. They're really backed up because the whole Denafrips staff was quarantined temporarily by government order, not because anyone had Covid, but as preventative measure. Alvin says they're all back to work now, but way behind. See his message above.

bever70 and DavidD like this.
  25. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

Shipment is happening. Last week alone, we shipped out 30pcs of Ares II.

As of now, 500pcs of Ares II are being produced. We were supposed to ship out progressively starting on Monday this week. But shipment was halt due to blemish found of the top cover. The chassis manufacturer took the whole batch back to rework. They promise to deliver partially in a week.

Shipment will resume once the chassis is back. In the meantime, production of the DAC continues in DENAFRIPS factory.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
    Alvin Chee
    www.vinshineaudio.com