Dennis DeYoung wants to be back in STYX for final tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scottb, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Did he make fun of "Babe" right before they launched into pretty much the poster child for sellout tunes, "High Enough"? As we all know thanks to this thread, "Babe" is pretty much the prototypical DeYoung tune. What was badass rockers Shaw and Nugent's excuse for this turd?:

2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

LOL, exactly.

I cannot remember the particulars, but it seemed like the goofing on Sister Christian was just that, goofing, while the Babe jabs were more mean-spirited.

Well, I like High Enough (and most of Damn Yankees' output), so you are asking the wrong person. ;)

Purple, bru87tr and Planbee like this.
  3. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I've said this before, but whenever I've seen DeYoung solo, "Mr. Roboto" always goes over really well.

It's too bad the personalities involved just don't seem to mesh, because they did do their best work together. Both DeYoung and the current Styx are enjoyable live acts, though, so I guess you've gotta take what you can get.

4. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

At this point in my life the determining factor of me paying to see them or not is determined by if I have to go to work the next day or not.

5. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

This keeps me from going to most concerts these days.

Duke Fame likes this.
  6. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Whenever I need to make judgements on musicians I've never met I go straight to that paragon of journalistic integrity - Behind The Music

7. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I am surprised that at some point, Gowan didn't get tired of fronting a never ending touring, very little output, band that only plays on triple bills with other has-been bands and went back to his solo career. From what I've gathered, he had a pretty successful solo career going for himself. I don't care for his singing, but it almost seems like he could do better than this.

8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

No way those egos could fit in the same arena.

9. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

If they do,, they should probably do the show in the dark, because... you know.

AidanB likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is probably a consistent pay-day that his solo career could never generate on its own. At the end of the day, musicians who do not make superstar money or have superstar bank accounts need to make a living, and The Styx gig probably is something few would give up, even with its issues.

spsimmons likes this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

im sure theyre doing fine, I thought by the thread title styx was hanging in up? or maybe dennis is? guess not....i don't know if it would make a huge difference in $$ (i know theyre playing with Journey now, my sister is going and im sure she has no clue who's in the band) but maybe theyd enjoy playing with their old bandmate again? you know how it is when you've broken up years ago and you only remember the best of times?

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, but he looks like Ricardo Montalbán

Lownote30 and bzfgt like this.
  13. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Dennis Deyoung is Styx. Shaw and Young are the cry babies who parade around as Styx. Mending fences with Dennis Deyoung would be smart. I've seen Dennis perform many times he is an excellent showman and a spectacular voice, even with his white hair. I saw Tommy Shaw on the " Girls with Guns" tour. Meh... James Young should be thankful that his mediocre talent is associated with the Styx name. I will not spend a dime to see the current charade known as Styx until they reunite with Deyoung.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  14. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

[​IMG]

MarkTheShark and the pope ondine like this.
  15. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

I think Journey has more to do with Steve Perry's health and voice as far as a reunion there. I'll pass on the current Journey rendition.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah I know, I got too much...no. I won't do it.

17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes Tommy and especially JY are cry babies. Tommy is a great singer/songwriter but JY should be thanking God every day for his payday with STYX. Funny as I also saw Tommy on the Girls with Guns tour at some really small club in New York city. I'm still convinced that JY wanted Dennis out because he was jealous of Dennis and he wanted to be in the spotlight with Tommy. Those cut and paste snippets from Behind The Music isn't the whole story but just the usual drama to lure watchers of the show.

After the split JY referred to Dennis as 'our old keyboard player'. Dennis on the other hand is a class act and hasn't stooped to Tommy and JY's level. I think it would be great if Tommy and JY met with Dennis and just said they don't want to go into the direction they were going in Styx in 1983 and want to create and play music more along the lines of Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight. Of course that meeting will never happen and the so called current Styx band will continue on triple bills and carnivals etc.

Blimpboy, spsimmons and Prophetzong like this.
  18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Maybe DeYoung could open for them and sing "Criminal Mind" and "Strange Animal"... ;)

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I saw both acts a couple of years ago. Dennis was excellent doing a Styx show, and Styx was either sub-average, or having an off night.
    I will pop for a reunion tour.

bru87tr, wayne66 and Prophetzong like this.
  20. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

No Glen Burtnik, no Yes.

Oh wait.

moodyxadi and Jeremy Holiday like this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It's funny, but your post made me go back and check out a very low-fi recording of a show from the 97 tour that I have. I had it in my mind that they must have done "Don't Let It End", but you're right, they didn't. They did do an abbreviated Show Me The Way and Paradise (which I don't care for), so DDY did get his fair share of ballads in. What surprised me, tho, was the between-song jokes and so forth (which I'd long since forgotten). They really did seem to be having fun that night. And you know what's particularly interesting about that gig? It was the last show of the '97 tour, and therefore their last ever full-length gig with DDY (they did one show in '99, but it was only 9 songs).

If anyone is curious, I posted the setlist:
    Styx Setlist at KeyArena, Seattle

PyroMessiah and bru87tr like this.
  22. varispeed

varispeed what if?

No Peter Cetera, no Styx. Down with horn bands.

squittolo and altaeria like this.
  23. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Nobody will believe it today but early on in their career Styx really was pretty damn hard rock, at least live in concert. Really.

They completely screwed the pooch with all the wimpy ballads, and then amazingly got worse.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  24. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw them in 96 and 97 and they seemed to be having a blast. The 'Return to Paradise' DVD is excellent. Dennis knows how to hold an audience and Gowan unfortunately doesn't. Please can someone tell Gowan that spinning his keyboard around for the entire show is really annoying.

mr.dave, bru87tr and spsimmons like this.
  25. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

If you ever check out the early history of Iron Maiden,
    you'll notice that Styx was lumped into the same "Heavy Metal" playlists with them by their trendy local radio station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.