Denon - DCD-1600NE SACD/CD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spitfire, Apr 17, 2018.

1. They were great and even scratched/damaged CD's that skipped or got digital clicks on other players played fine on these, and it was also dead silent.
    On Pioneer's CD players that featured this Stable Platter Mechanism, Hi-Bit Legato Link Conversion was used. It was a kind of D/A conversion that was supposed to recover the harmonics lost because 44.1 Khz sampling rate. I don't know if this really got that, I'm inclined to think that it was a D/A converter that featured a fast roll off at around 22 Khz instead of the typical fast or slow roll of at 20 Khz, I do know that player with both Stable Platter Mechanism and Hi-Bit Legato Link Conversion sounded really good.I whished I had the money to get one of those players back in the time.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    The Pinhead and bruce2 like this.
  2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

BDC and cdgenarian like this.
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Damn, that looks like the solution! Link for that wasn't working earlier when I was looking around from the Denon US site, nor did your link, but the Denon link for it is working now. I'll have to contact them. They say on their page that you get a 3 year factory warranty, as opposed to the 1 year I'm seeing everywhere else. I'm eyeing the refurbished, which I'd like to think of as a unit that got repaired and received some extra inspections beyond factory.
    When you click on item condition on their page you get contradictory info, stating 1 year parts and labor warranty. I e-mailed them to clarify. $799 is looking pretty appealing. If it's relatively repairable, this may be a lifetime piece for me.
    Thanks for getting back soundboy......

4. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I went for it, they threw me a promo code and I got one brand new on the way for $849.....They didn't clarify on the warranty, but the page clearly states 3 years. I didn't go extended.

cdgenarian and George P like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

cdgenarian and BDC like this.
  6. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I got my player hooked up and playing today after a couple days fiasco connecting with Fed Ex. I waited by our front door all day Saturday for the delivery and at the end of the day tacking updates informed that it would be delivered the next day ( a day late). I work nights and they came early Sunday, so I missed them! I requested the unit be sent to a drop off location for pick up, which had to be approved by the seller 1st. Anyway I got the package Monday from a drop location 4 blocks away. Today (Wed) is my 1st day off since receiving the 1600, and I finally got it up and running! My stereo is not situated optimally, so I work with the space I have, and it's hard to get behind, thus I wait for a day off to set it up.

I have for a while owned a few 2002 Rolling Stones Hybrid discs, and in the meantime ordered a couple Mofi Hybrids, and I'm filling out the Stones 2002 ABKCO's.
    While player was on order, I ordered "Layla and assorted love songs" , and Jefferson Airplanes "Surrealistic Pillow".
    The 1st one being played now is "Layla", I'm really happy with the sound. My only other copy is a 90's cassette, so I figured an upgrade is in order. This is the best I've ever heard Layla sound! Surrealistic Pillow has always sounded ratty, so I expect this to be the best for said album.

Most of the remote is useless to me (made for complete Denon system), and it doesn't have an eject button as far as I can see, but I haven't read the instructions yet. I'm not a song skipper anyway, so the remotes main purpose is only to turn the machine on and off.
    As of now my only concern is longevity for the machine.....I like it a lot for now.
    Peace

Carlox, George P and cdgenarian like this.
  7. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

NO MULTI CHANNEL...WTF DENNON a 1200 sacd player with only Stereo 2 channel...sacd is for multi channel...ugh

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same here; wanted that one badly, but had to settle for a Technics.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Good point about the remote. It really only needs to be about 1/3 as big as it is. I replaced it with a Harmony universal remote that can control all functions of my amplifier as well.

10. BO_KNOWS

BO_KNOWS Well-Known Member

Hi BDC,

Could you please clarify where did you buy the player for $849? US Denon or accessories4less site.

Thanks,
    Bo

11. What Technics did you buy? I own a Sony X-800 (HDMI and digital coaxial only) connected via HDMI to a 2012 Pioneer SC LX-76 and via digital coaxial for stereo listening only to a Topping D50 D/A Converter.
    I seldom play a music disc anymore as the most important ones are ripped and transfered to an Solid State Disk,includding SACD's which are ripped and the stereo ones are converted to DSD over PCM files,that is native DSD put inside a Wav container that the Topping D50 recognizes not as 176.4/24 but as DSD 64.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

SL-PG440

13. Slash21

Slash21 Active Member

I am considering a new CDP, shorlisted are Marantz ND8006, Denon DCD1600NE and DCD2500 NE. How does the Marantz sound against the Denon players?

The Denons don't have any digital input, so won't be able to use a streamer and the CDP's DAC. Does it mean you need to burn music onto a CD in order to play? And how do I burn DSD onto CD?

Thanks.

14. teacherman

teacherman Forum Resident

Hello! Just purchased the Denon DCD-1600NE. I want to prevent the debacle of my Sony SCD-1 where Sony stopped making parts and supporting the unit. $5000 boat anchor. Can anyone help me find the correct part # for the transport for the Denon? I would like the unit that spins the disc and the laser. I am seeing conflicting information from Encompass, who seems to provide Denon and Marantz parts.
    When I search "DCD-1600NE" on the Denon website, Encompass comes back with this part for $95.95.
    Part Number
    30201005300AS
    Description
    Td-505 Mech+traverse Dcd1600ne

When I contacted Encompass via the Denon website, this is the response I received: "Denon and Marantz work together" $54.95.
    Manufacturer
    [​IMG]
    Part Number
    31901000500AD
    Original Part
    Denon 31901000500AD-99
    Description
    Traverse Assembly Sa14s1

It's not about the price difference, it's about the correct part! Help! Please?

15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Part Number 31901000500AD is an assembly, which includes the frame, optical pickup, disc spinner, motor and PCB.

16. teacherman

Thanks for the info, F1nut. I wonder if the

Denon Part Number
    30201005300AS
    Description
    Td-505 Mech+traverse Dcd1600ne

is the assembly you mentioned above, but with the drawer included. I emailed Encompass and they have not responded in 3 days. That entire unit, the black transport section in the interior photo is what I really want.

17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

That would include the tray, etc. All you really need for a back up is 31901000500AD as the optical pickup is what can go bad.

18. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Is the Denon largely a re-badged Marantz player?

19. George P

George P Notable Member

No, not as far as I can see.

20. teacherman

Thanks, F1nut. I agree, but for $30 more I have no qualms about buying the assembly and the tray. For the Sony SCD-1, the optical pickup alone was over $200. For that, I also had to buy the spindle motor and sled/cover gears.

21. teacherman

Denon and Marantz are both owned by Sounds United, and the high end models are assembled in the same factory in Japan, Shirakawa Audio Works. This applies to the Denon DCD-1600NE and the comparable Marantz player. Classe Audio is now also owned by Sounds United and manufactured in the same place. Not sure about Rotel, which is now distributed by Sounds United.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

FYI, it's Sound United.

23. BO_KNOWS

Denon has brought DCD-2500 to the USA disguised as a new 110 years anniversary model (DCD-A110).
    Price...cool $2999.00! Enjoy :)
    DCD-A110

George P likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

I can't find the post now, but I know a member here has the 2500 and the 1600 and found the latter to sound nearly as good as the former, so I'll be sticking with my 1600, especially considering the new DCD-A110 costs almost three times as much as the 1600.

Bill Mac and BO_KNOWS like this.
  25. BO_KNOWS

Hi George,
    I know the post that you are referring to and I agree. I find myself in the same situation with my DENON avr-x8500h. The new special edition unit is priced at 5500.00. For the difference that I paid for my unit and the price of the new one, I can buy a very good external 3 channel amp that would perform better than internal amplification on the receiver. The point is this, Denon has brought those units to NA and now I can't complain any longer that they are not offering special stuff to us. It's here and the choice is ours. It's good to have choices. :D

George P likes this.