Denon DL-301 MKII vs DL-110 cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by G22, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G22

G22 Member Thread Starter

Hi guys, I've read a lot on your forum and learned a lot. I often come here from Google and these are old posts so maybe it's old informations.

I currently have a Rega P3 TT, Rega Fono A2D and a Rega bias II cart.

I bought the Musichall pa2.2 Preamp today. I can already say that I hear a sound improvement.

From what I've read generally Rega cartridges aren't good at all considering their price. I also read that there's a general consensus that most of the LOMC cartridges gives better results but cost slightly more money than HOMC and MM cartridges.

I like to read stuff, but I also like to hear stuff and judge by myself. So I've made a rip of Get Lucky from Daft Punk and compared it to my friends rip of the same LP. We share the same TT but only different preamp.

I can't post a link as they are copyrighted songs but I can clearly say that the Denon DL-110 rip sounds much better than my own rip.

But wait. I just checked and I have the budget for the DL-301 MKII. I can't test it so here I'm asking you guys if it'll sound better than the DL-110. Seriously will there be noticeable improvements? Will it fit great on my Musichall Phono?

Thanks guys!

olschl likes this.
  2. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

As far as I can tell the MH is fixed at a 100 ohm load in MC mode. While this is a fairly typical load for low output MC you might see if you can find comments from people who own the 301 about loading settings. If everyone is liking it at something higher than 100 I'd look for something else. Not sure what else is out there for low output MCs at that price point anymore. DL-110 works great in the Rega with proper shim but it sounds like you already know that.

3. G22

I'm really glad you're talking about this because I don't understand this at all. Load and stuff related to this.

I don't even know where to change it on my preamp?

Only switch I have is MM or MC and -20db or -26db.

Thanks

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The DL-301 MKII which I currently use is a much better cartridge than the DL-110 which I have used in the past. The sonics are very natural and detailed, in my system the cartridge also provided a significant bass boost as well. The DL-110 is an excellent HOMC that gets you into the MC world at a low price, the DL-301 MKII to my ears provides sonics that come close to my Goldring Eroica H MC, which is twice as expensive. One thing about the DL-110 is that it has a very distinct sound signature, one that took some getting used to. I'd read it was a common broadcast cartridge in Japan, and to me it did have an FM stereo sound quality.

loudinny likes this.
  5. 6l6klipsch

6l6klipsch Forum Resident

I went from a DL-110 to a 301MKII and overall I'm pleased with the upgrade. I load mine at 100 ohms. The DL-110 is no slouch though, and can be found for pretty cheap! I don't think you can go wrong with either.

6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have used the Denon DL304 low output moving coil cartridge for years and loved the sound of it (its output was 0.18mV), looking at the specifications for the DL301 the output is 0.4mV in my preamp that would be too high, resulting in the sound being fairly loud at a low volume rate. Check out your preamp first.

JG

7. G22

Thanks for your reply, I'm really thinking of going forward to buying the DL-301.

I think I'm missing something. How do I change the load, I don't have any load switch in ohms. I only have a db switch. Looking at the manual the only possible load for MC on my preamp looks to be 100 ohms.

"MC input impedance: 100 ohms + 1 pF"

Glad to know someone your experience, makes me more confident in my choice.

From the documentation of my preamp it looks good isn't it?
    "MC input sensitivity for 316 mV output: 0.4 mV (20 dB gain selected) / 0.2 mV (26 dB gain selected)"

8. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I don't think your phono section has adjustable loading in MC mode, 100 ohms only. So that's why I suggest trying to find out if people like that cart at 100 ohms. So far one member here is reporting that's where he has his.

9. G22

Ah ok sorry I didn't understand at first. I think it's really promising that already one member found the cart to sound perfectly at 100 ohms.

10. DigMyGroove

I should note that I use the Lounge LCR phono stage and Lounge Copla step up amp. I have no adjustable loading with specific switches liek some phono stages, the Copla has a gain dial and I adjust by ear to the recording, then the audio is off to the Lounge LCR which is a MM phono stage. Interestingly the DL-110 being a HOMC, in theory wasn't supposed to work well with the Copla according to it's designer, Forum member Moronix, but work well it did. The 301 MKIII is a standard MC and must have the step up amp or a SUT in the chain.

msg likes this.
  11. G22

Wait? I need something else than my phono pa2.2 in order to have the cartridge to work?

Thanks.

Doc Diego likes this.
  12. DigMyGroove

If your Phono stage works with both moving magnet and moving coil you're all set. The DL-110 is a high output moving coil and will work with a moving magnet only phono stage, the DL 301 mkIII requires a moving coil phono stage or a step up transformer in order add enough gain to the signal for your amp or receiver.

13. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Your phono stage has plenty of gain for the 301. Looking at the unit and the specs I'd use the MC input and the 20db setting for that cart. It's only a question of if you will like the sound of the cartridge with a 100 ohm load, which is a common setting for low output MCs.

14. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

The DL110 is a great cartridge for the price. That said, the DL301 MK2 is significantly better! I've had both and did get to compare the two. As long as your phono stage can support it, go with the DL301 MK2.

Here are my thoughts about it when I had approximately 15 hours on it- "Even when I first installed it, I could hear improvements over the DL110. Now that it's had a few hours of break in, it's opening up even more. I can now hear even more details and just about everything is better than the DL110. There is more air and transparency. And yet at the same time, the sound also has more detail and body to it. The bass is also more defined."

15. dachada

dachada Senior Member

the DL301 cantilever or shank is thinner. proper alignment is a must to avoid any damage. also special care with the cleaning

16. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I have a Denon 301-MK2 as well.....tho im not using it right now, its an excellent cart...I love it. Very musical.....that thing just gives you gobbs of romance! I had the setting on my Musical Surround Phono amp set at 58.4 gain and 470 db and it was outstanding! Great cart!

cat9 likes this.
  17. centaurus3200

centaurus3200 Forum Resident

I bought a DL110 a few years ago... Back when comet supply had them for $87. It's and incredible cartridge (especially for that price). I run it on my mildly modded technics sl 1600mk2 (cardas tonearm rewire and a few other tricks).

I've had fancier cartridges... Spectral MCR signature with a van den hul retip and a Lyra lydian... You know what? 20-30 year old cartridges have hardened suspensions, regardless of hours... That accentuates inner groove distortion. At least. On my experience.

AmericanHIFI and Daniel Thomas like this.
  18. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I have and love a 301 mkII. The first MC phono stage I had only gave choices of 47 ohms (MC) and 47 kOhms (MM). The 301 sounded great at 47 Ohms, although the rule of thumb is that it should be loaded at greater than 10 X its internal impedance of 33 Ohms or 330 Ohms. I've also run it at 100 Ohms and it sounded even better. It's hard for me to say I hear a difference between 100 Ohms and 470 Ohms.

Good luck and good listening!
    And let us know how you make out, G22

19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

So did you buy it? How do you like it?

20. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Yes curious too!

I have used both....but the 301MKII is a significant step up as has been stated here already.

21. fedocable

fedocable New Member

Jumping aboard this old thread. After losing my good old DL-304 in an accident I'd rather forget, I've been using a spare Yamaha MC-7 I had. Not bad at all but I still miss the level of detail the late Denon provided. So I've decided to invest in a new cartdrige, and this 301 mkII caught my eye. I would use it with a Project Tube Box II (MC is a 60db gain, and 100 ohms / 120pf if input impedance). Would that be a sensible choice? Or else would those 0.4 mV be just a trifle too high for my phono stage? Any comment or suggestion will be warmly welcomed!

22. rasputin1

rasputin1 Well-Known Member

Not at all. Based on the impedances you would lose about 3dB in level by running the 301mkii into 100 ohms. 33 ohm /100 ohms = .33 which translates to 3.3dB loss of volume. Ideally the input impedance should be at least 10 times the coil impedance to minimize the loss. If your phono preamp has an input impedance of 300 ohms you would only lose about 1dB of gain.

23. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Been running Denon carts since the 80’s with the occasional change to other manufacturers and in the end i always come back to Denon.

The Denon 301 Mk II is a great cart and punches well above its price point. You would be hard pressed to find anything in its price range that comes even close.

plastico and olschl like this.
  24. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Don't have a DL-110 but I went from a DL-160 to a 301 MkII about a month ago and (after break-in) I'd agree with the above posters that it's a very noticeable upgrade. I'm running through a Bob's Devices Cinemag 3440A SUT @9:1 for a 555 Ohm load and this cart sounds like it's very happy with that. As good as the DL-160 is, the 301 paints a much more dynamic, punchy, detailed, and colorful picture. I'm struck by how different my records sound, almost like a great remix/remaster. The cart I'd lived with for a long time before the DL-160 was a DL-103r and I think I like 301 more. The 103r has the legendary warm midrange, but the detail and dynamics of the 301 are addictive - it rocks.

bluemooze, QQQ, plastico and 3 others like this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I seem to recall recommending that 301..... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.