Denon DL301 MkII on a Technics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Baker, Sep 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wanted to put my Denon DL301-MkII on my Technics SL Q303 turntable. I cannot adjust the pillar height at all. Would this be a bad idea?

If I shouldn’t try it I can always put it on my Thorens. But I have some work to do before that’s ready for action.

Thoughts?

2. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

I would try it and see what the results are. It shouldn't hurt anything, even if the pairing isn't ideal. The DL301 MKII is a high compliance cartridge, which should work reasonably well on the Technics arm. I would recommend using an original Technics headshell, as they are lighter than most others.

The main problem I see is the lack of VTA adjustment. If the cartridge is too tall, there won't be anything you can do to level the arm, but if it is too short, you could always use a spacer to increase its height. You just have to experiment a bit with these things.

3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

A thinner mat or an Ortofon headshell, those provide about 3mm additional space between the headshell and record surface.

mackat likes this.
  4. Steve Baker

mackat,

I have an original Technics headshell, so I will try it out. I asked this on another forum and received similar responses. The VTA is the hard part. I have a couple of mats I can try, but they would require modification (i e cutting holes), for the record size sensors. I will load it up this week and report back at what I find.

Thanks for the reply.
    SB

5. Steve Baker

Exactly the same advice I have received elsewhere on the net. Thanks!

Oelewapper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.