Denon DVD 2900 DSD to PCM conversion

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mwheelerk, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

I have seen a discussion posted before but I had never seen a "definitive" answer, at least one I understood. I got this answer from Denon Customer Service.

My question was "Does the DVD 2900 convert DSD to PCM prior to output as analog? How does it handle DSD data streams? Does it convert directly to analog or is there an intermediate process where it is converted to PCM prior to conversion to analog?" I know my question was a bit redundant, but hey it was late when I sent it.

Anyways, their response cleared up the issue for me. I hope it might help others who may have wondered. Essentially the 2900 uses two separate D/A's to handle DSD and PCM streams. However DSD streams will be converted to PCM if you use bass management. You can by-pass PCM conversion by turning off the filter. I was referred to Page 31 of the operator's manual for instructions.

Helps me understand what is happening. I will be trying comparisons this evening. I hope this helps others who are interested.

2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

Thanks for this.

I just recently turned my filter off not knowing this was the case. Although my center and rears aren't full-range, I still decided I liked the sound better with the filter off. Now I have a clearer understanding as to why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.