Denon's AL24 processing plus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tom Baruffi, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Baruffi

Tom Baruffi Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I come from an analogue world. A long time ago. Recently I have been experimenting sonically with a Denon setup with a feature called "AL24 Processing Plus'. Got to say that so far, all of the old shoddy CDs from the early ages sound great. Almost as if I am listening to the early vinyl.

Comments?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Which model Denon amp are you using?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  3. Tom Baruffi

Tom Baruffi Well-Known Member Thread Starter

[QUOTE="Which model Denon amp are you using?[/QUOTE]
    DVD-3910 and AVR-2807

4. Further

Further Forum Resident

I don't really have much to add here but I do still have a Denon AVR-3805 with AL24 Processing Plus from around 2003-2004 that hasn't been hooked up for some time but I recall it sounding pretty good at the time.

You're right on the money with it sounding more analogue, which I believe was the actual purpose of this processing - to smooth out the digital signal when changing it back to an analogue waveform and converting 16-bit to 24-bit for improved sound. That's my basic understanding of it, anyway.

I've held on to the AVR-3805 and another Denon ( I think it's an AVR-2802) simply because of the 5.1/7.1 Analogue Multichannel Inputs that were phased out on newer models through the years, once everything was switched over to HDMI and it was decided most people wouldn't have a use for these analogue inputs anymore for 5.1. I actually like to have the option to hook things up any way I want to, so I've kept these around for when I get the itch to try something different. Sometimes it's hard to let things go. haha

Tom Baruffi likes this.
  5. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of my Denon CD/SACD player that uses AL32 Processing, which is described here:

Glossary of Technical Terms

It's definitely over my head a little bit, but it does seem the goal was to achieve a more analog sound. And I think it sounds this way; warm and detailed, with no digital glare or graininess. Music just sounds natural. I used to own a tube CD player (from Triode Corp) and it sounded amazing, but it sounded a bit too euphonic. So I felt it was coloring the sound. Same with a couple of old Rega players. They sounded like they tried to sound analog but it wasn't an effortless, natural sound. I remember a SimAudio player I used to have as well, which had some digital glare to it. I think the Naim CD5X was the closest in sound to the Denon, in terms of sounding natural and analog.

The Triode Corp player was fun though. I wouldn't part with the Denon, but I may get a DAC that will give me that kind of sound whenever I want to listen to it.

The great thing about the Denon is that it's highly detailed, with excellent separation, and just a touch of warmth. But it doesn't color the sound to where everything sounds the same; so it's pretty neutral and I feel like I am hearing what's on the source.

Tom Baruffi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.