Dense Water, Deeper Down: Sinead O'Connor, song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "What Your Soul Sings" (redone 2x)
    1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-2
    5-3
    Average: 4.4583

2. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Marble Halls" (duet version)

3-6
    Average: 2.5167

3. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for Sean-Nos Nua

2-0
    3-2
    4-2
    5-1
    Average: 3.874

4. Lance LaSalle

Albums discussed so far (redone -- with such small voting pool, I can recount these things)
    1. The Lion And the Cobra 4.9
    2. I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got 4.5302
    3. Am I Not Your Girl? 3.3578
    4. Universal Mother 4.1486
    5. Gospel Oak 3.7942
    6. Faith And Courage 3.68
    7. Sean-Nos Nua 3.874
    Albums Ranked:
    1. The Lion And the Cobra 4.9
    2. I Do Not Know What I Haven't Got 4.5302
    3. Universal Mother 4.1486
    4. Sean Nos-Nua 3.874
    5. Gospel Oak 3.7942
    6. Faith And Courage 3.68
    7. Am I Not Your Girl? 3.3578

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. Lance LaSalle

I'm holding "Spanish Lady" and the solo version of "In Marble Halls" open for one more day, as I believe that many people who had hitherto not heard it may have heard it now.

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It's sad that even on a music forum Sinead doesn't seem to get much respect or excite any interest!

rfkavanagh and Lance LaSalle like this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

It is, but she has her fans here and elsewhere. To be honest more people participated on the first two albums than I expected.

I expected the whole thread to be 4 to 6 people, which is quite normal for these cult artists. See also Robyn Hitchcock and Belle And Sebastian.

Library Eye and croquetlawns like this.
  8. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Special Cases

Sinéad’s voice really softens the very ominous music here. I like the lyrics a lot, and I assume she wrote them? I think her participation here makes this track for me, as without her beautiful voice, the music is just a tad bit too ominous for me.

4/5

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I'm still listening, but didn't have much to say about the last album, and I happened to be out of town last weekend and missed the voting window. (I might give it a 3.374 score; I could do with a few more merry tunes, less echo effects.) I'll post a comment about today's song if I get a chance to hear it, but listening to the non-album tracks is tricky for me since I don't have sound on the desktop computer.

I guess now would be a fair time to post this video of a Dublin concert in 2002:

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. Lance LaSalle

"In Marble Halls" -- Sinéad solo version, Japanese bonus track.

The fact that this is a region specific bonus track is maddening: it is a brilliant interpretation of a gorgeous song. I love this kind of pre-WWI era Irish ballad, from the pre-microphone days; the melody is so beautiful, alone it brings tears to my eyes. The lyric is a classic folk theme, and resonates well with someone far away, either in time or in distance.

And the arrangement, dry, acoustic guitar, maybe a bit of accordion no digital echo is perfect.

5/5

11. Lance LaSalle

"Spanish Lady"also benefits from being quite stripped back and effect-free. While the song isn't quite as exciting to me as "In Marble Halls", the song is upbeat, and Sean-Nos Nua definitely could have benefited from it because of that. I get that these tracks don't precisely fit in the album -- they sound like demos by comparison. But they are really excellent demos, un-"sexied up" by Sinéad and Sherwood, and stronger for it. That reminds me of my main criticism of hte album: either let the songs speak for themselves, in a fairly traditional way or go all out with the sexying up.

3.7/5

12. Lance LaSalle

"Special Cases" is another cool, ultra modern sounding track. I for one love the eerie, forboding orchestra and the overall dark tone of the album. The one I own is the single mix from Collaborations, which is shorter than the album version, but I think it makes its point just fine (and doesn't fade out, which I dislike.)

The lyric is a thought ful one that almost seems too trite to work but wedded to the dark, dark music it comes off as a really real warning to women who blame their partner for things that might actually originate in their own psychology, which is interesting (and potentially a good topic for discussion.)

4.5/5

croquetlawns and brownie61 like this.
  13. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Special Cases

4.75/5 though I’m sure there is a 5/5 mix

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

In Marble Halls — solo. yeah, should not be bonus track limited by region. It's one of best things across last few albums and scattered extras, collaborations, and guest appearances. 4.95/5

Spanish Lady — solo. again, much better - production / sound included — then most of what's on the accompanying album. 3.68/5

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

"In Marble Halls" - 4/5
    “Spanish Lady” - 3/5
    Not into the Massive Attack material at all. I’ll abstain there.

16. croquetlawns

In Marble Halls - 4/5
    Spanish Lady - 3.5/5

Both are worthy additions - what a waste!

Library Eye and Mr. Heartbreak like this.
  17. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "In Marble Halls" [Japanese bonus track/solo version]
    1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-2
    5-2
    Average: 4.4875

croquetlawns likes this.
  18. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Spanish Lady"
    1-0
    2-0
    3-1
    4-3
    5-0
    Average: 3.47

croquetlawns likes this.
  19. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Special Cases"
    1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-3
    5-2
    Average: 4.3

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "A Prayer for England", written by Robert Del Naja, Neil Davidge and Sinéad O'Connor; produced by Robert Del Naja & Neil Davidge. Performed by Massive Attack featuring Sinéad O'Connor.

Massive Attack – A Prayer For England Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Line Up:
    Sinéad O'Connor: vocals
    Massive Attack:
    Robert Del Naja & Neil Davidge
    with
    Angelo Bruschini: guitar
    Alex Swift: keyboards, additional programming
    Jon Harris: bass
    Damon Reece: drums

Released as an album track on Massive Attacks 2003 album 100th Window.

21. Lance LaSalle

Another dark post-modern track: not sure what Sinéad is going for: it seems to be some kind of indictment of the education system, which makes me think of her struggles with and against her Catholicism, but why "Children of England"-- maybe it's going further than that. Perhaps this song and yesterday's too is best seen in the dark context of 2003 and the post-911 world, in a time when international rhetoric was ramping up to another war. As a dark mood and an emotional statements connected to that time, it works, but I'm not quite sure what she was writing about here.

3.6/5

brownie61 and rfkavanagh like this.
  22. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

A Prayer For England

I think this is my favorite of the Massive Attack collaborations - I really like the darker vibe. It is a bit incongruous having O'Connor singing a "prayer for England" and its children - I could understand if it were more overtly connected to anglo-Irish conflict, but as it stands it's a bit odd. I wonder if there had been some high-profile child abduction/murder or something along those lines around that time - my mind first went to Jamie Bulger, but his (absolutely horrific) murder took place a decade earlier. I was already living in the US in 2003 so I'm not as knowledgeable about local news stories at the time. Or maybe, as @Lance LaSalle suggests, it's best to think of the song in context of the general global mood at the time - although that still wouldn't explain why she specifically cared about England's kids... :)

Regardless, it makes for a good song!

4.5/5

23. croquetlawns

Another excellent track - a proper album-length collaboration with Massive Attack would be great! 4/5

24. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

A Prayer for England

The music here is great. Sinéad’s part is more monotonous than in the other Massive Attack songs, although this song doesn’t really need that icing on the cake here, as the music itself is so hypnotic. It’s still nice to hear her, and she does soften the music a bit with her voice. I don’t really understand what she’s talking about in the lyrics. Who is killing children?

4.25/5

25. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Prayer For England

Don’t know why I don’t have any Massive Attack albums in my collection- I think I’ve loved everything I’ve ever heard from them. This is an excellent track 5/5