Depeche Mode on CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taylan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

It does not. US, Canada and Japan got the bonus tracks.

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Didn't know that Return To Secret Garden was a bonus track, as it's in the middle of the record. I think it works great in the tracklist.
    I wonder why they included it in the Sire record and not on the UK.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

Agreed, it works great having them on it. No clue. Another humdinger is why the Canada New Order Brotherhood 86 cd included both State of The Nation and Shep's Bizarre but the US got shafted :laugh:

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  4. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

I can confirm the CTA i saw is the one posted by c-eling. Sorry for the misinformation, but I was wrong, the one with bonus tracks was just Black Celebration, and if I remember correctly it only had Black Day as one of them.

c-eling likes this.
  5. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I didn't really know where to put this, and if it was well known or not, but I'm trucking my way through the singles. etc, boxes. The Fly on the Windscreen there (as the released B side) is slightly different than what was released on Black Celebration (which has "- Final" appended, which actually points out that it's different to the B side).

The B side is shorter at about 5:04 - 5:07, whereas the Final version is 5:18. Also dug this up, which is kind of neat:

Almost Predictable. Almost: FLY ON THE WINDSCREEN - THE ONE THAT NEARLY GOT AWAY

That whole thing is an interesting read though.

c-eling, tin ears and tmtomh like this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Nice - thanks for that! I vividly remember picking up that 12" with the original b-side version at Tower Records when it first came out, and just loving it (and also thinking WTF? to It's Called a Heart). Then I remember picking up Black Celebration - again at Tower, again upon release, this time on CD because by '86 I'd gotten a CD player, and while CDs still badly lagged LPs in terms of release schedule at that time, they had mostly caught up in Europe and Japan, and Tower would semi-illegally import EU and JPN CDs for titles that did not yet have a US pressing available.

So I got the wonderful German Mute/Intercord blue-stripe pressing (with bonus tracks), and at first I was crestfallen that Fly on the Windscreen was a different version than my beloved 12" vinyl. But then I actually listened to it, and after one play to get used to the differences, by the 2nd play I was hooked, and it's the version I've preferred ever since.

I also agree with the author of the linked article that it translated to the live tour as well as any song from that album - dark, loud, and powerful.

c-eling likes this.
  7. kevin5brown

Black Celebration was my 1st DM CD. :D (I have a Japan for US Sire ... in a smooth sided jewel case, will need to look up how that stacks up soundwise someday soon.)

I think it's interesting how he/she talks about it being their 1st really dark song, and that atmosphere is what really drew me to them in the first place.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, agreed - I think the author gets it right that while DM of course had dark songs before, Black Celebration was where the lyrics and a consistently dark, weighty sonic signature came together across the entirety of songs. Some Great Reward was my first DM CD, and Construction Time Again was 2nd (followed by Speak & Spell and then A Broken Frame) - but Black Celebration was, and to this day remains, my favorite. It's to DM's career what The Colour of Spring was for Talk Talk - an album that ultimately was a transitional one, but for that reason contains a unique blending of their earlier and later musical approaches. I'll always love Some Great Reward and Construction Time Again, and of course Violator is a masterpiece - but Black Celebration is unique.

JeffMo and tin ears like this.
  9. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

Assuming that you didn't live in LA at that time, but in addition to Tower Records, there was a store called Moby Disc, long gone, that had lots of imports.....those were the days. There was a place that I can't recall the name of that was on Melrose Ave in Hollywood that had lots of punk and new wave imports on LP. I never felt like buying them was akin to purchasing something sort of illegal.

Off topic, but the Cure is nominated for the Rock n roll Hall of fame but Depeche gets no love. geez. All those albums you mentioned are great.

kevin5brown and tmtomh like this.
  10. kevin5brown

One more, but I can't promise I'm going to find them all! ;)

Stripped (song) - Wikipedia

The version in Singles Box 3 is the single, vs the album version that I'm most familiar with:

The 12" version is simply sublime. :love:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Yost likes this.
  11. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Depeche Mode on CD

I know I said it earlier. Japan CD pressings. Sharper pictures, quality item! My DM soft spot.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hi_watt, jamesc, HiFi Guy 008 and 2 others like this.
  12. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

13. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Thanks for posting. I agree. Just heard it for the first time. Much better than the Highlander mix. :righton:

Now I need to go buy something. I hate this forum. :realmad: ;)

Edit: never mind, the 12” version I found on YouTube and the Highlander Mix are actually the same. Confused the album version with the Highlander Mix. Still have to buy that mix, though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    HiFi Guy 008 and c-eling like this.
  14. kevin5brown

Quick complicated question about Black Celebration on CD. (I did search, but I might not have picked up comments w/o "Black Celebration" in the posts! ;) But I read all the most recent stuff.):

1) It looks like there are primarily two early masterings: the Jpn for US Sire that I have, and the WG Mute/Intercord 846. (The later 836 is different too, and then the Italian CDs). Correct?

2) Here's the really complicated part: I saw that some people like the 2007 remaster. But the CD/SACD combo isn't easy to find at a reasonable cost. The RM CD has reduced dynamics, right? Is it the redbook layer of the SACD that's so good, or the SACD layer? How does the album presentation on the DVD itself look as far as dynamics? I'm presuming the album on the DVD is the remastered version? So to recap, these are all the available possibilities for the remastered audio:

remastered CD
    album audio on the DVD
    redbook layer on the SACD
    SACD layer on the SACD

Told you it was complicated. :) Really, I'm just trying to find the best way to get the best remastered audio. Thanks!

(Honestly, I'll be surprised if anything beats the Jpn for US Sire that I have with the smooth sided jewel case. If it had an OBI, that would of course make it definitively the best audio ;), but now I need to look at the other versions too ...)

There are DR numbers in the database, but it's not clear what each set is actually for:

Mute LC5834 DMCD5 0094638416029 EU 2007 Collectors Edition Hybrid SACD/DVD Remastered: 16bit/44.1KHz CD-Audio:
    10 09 09 11 11 09 09 10 10 10 11

Mute LC 05834 CDXSTUMM26 / 0094638416326 EU:
    09 09 10 10 09 10 11 11 11 09 10

15. c-eling

Not so complicated, all the same....
    22 cut-off. If you don't want the bonus tracks, short film and 5.1 just grab the single disc.
    This was a digital recording.
    The glitch on the old US mastering (false start on A Question of Time drove me nuts so I gifted it off years ago) I enjoy the old WG +3

Yost likes this.
  16. kevin5brown

"22 cut-off" ?

c-eling likes this.
  17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Regarding Fly On The Windscreen, that's David's Porche with the great, deep bass startup at the beginning.
    Initially on side one of the fantastic US vinyl original, I was disappointed with the lack of thwack on Black Celebration.
    After the enormous bass and thump of the original US Sire vinyl Some Great Reward, I was thinking, WHAT?
    Turned over to side two, and there it was on Fly.

Listened to Black again years later, same US vinyl, on an expensive cart.
    WOW. Shimmer and detail like I haven't heard on any other Depeche Mode album.

But Some Great Reward on vinyl still has a great, propulsive grip.

c-eling likes this.
  18. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I think he means the 22.05kHz max frequency (the cut-off) that is possible with redbook/CD 44.1kHz sample rate.

kevin5brown and c-eling like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

I thought he meant that he cuts off the number of multiple copies (Duran Duran's Rio, Peter Gabriel's So, etc) at 22.

:winkgrin:

JeffMo, jamesc, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  20. c-eling

All they did with these remasters is up sample, even Speak and Spell has a frequency cut off as well which was an analog recording. Matt did a comprehensive breakdown I think somewhere in this thread.
    Modern compression was added, but it's nothing offensive I didn't think. These will come down to personal taste, I myself prefer the old mastering's for these :)
    @George P
    Only 4 for BC :laugh:

kevin5brown and George P like this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

My W German Mute/Intercord Black Celebration is one of my most prized CDs, and I enjoy the sound a lot. But this album is one of the ones where I actually prefer the sound of the SACD. The original CD always has sounded a little flat and anemic to me. It kind of suits the dark, murky feel of the album, but still, I like the increased body and impact of the SACD remaster.

leonafonte, ToEhrIsHuman and c-eling like this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Doh!!

23. c-eling

24. c-eling

Sorry, that was directed at Jeff ^ I'm sure he had a SA comment he wanted to make :laugh:
    @kevin5brown I forgot to add
    If you do track the deluxe's down make sure you grab the US, unless you have a region free player :)

jamesc and tmtomh like this.
  25. kevin5brown

Actually, that brings up a question: can DVD Audio Extractor rip the audio from a PAL DVD, and get the speed correct? (I think I knew this at one time, but forgot ...)