Depeche Mode on CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taylan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the remasters that you talk are the same than the redbook of the SACD's?
    Im looking for the best sound of DM on digital...

2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Are the remasters a recommended purchase?
    There seems to be single-disc versions too but I found out that one shop is selling the all the collectors edition cd/dvd-sets in good price ($12.97 each).
    Not sure how long the discount-price will be but for now its alive deal.
    Seems tempting since currently I only own the 2-cd compilation The Singles 86>98 and would surely like to have them all.

Would I do good with only the single-disc remasters (or even older pressings?) or should I just get the collectors editions?
    They should be good as I also liked the similar releases from Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds which were also put out by Mute.

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

get the cd/dvd's they are great, sound great and the dvd's have a great anthology like biography of them. i have watched all of that a few times, very engaging/entertaining....worth that cost for sure.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Im still looking SACD, where can find some still new?

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Be careful, quite a few sellers especially on ebay don't know the difference, you may think you bought the sacd, but they will send you the basic deluxe, make sure the seller provides a picture with the actual sacd logo on the back, The same with online stores, Overstock.com last year was selling "SACD"'s but the ID numbers didn't match and it was the standard deluxe, I emailed them about the discrepancy, I believe only the UK issued the sacd versions

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes true! I note that on some sellers...

but any online place that still sell some new?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

For which title? To me, the original CD for Violator sounds wonderful.

snowman872, PH416156, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I meant that as public question concerning the whole remaster campaign.
    I read that some later albums (like Ultra) were not actually remastered at all..

9. c-eling

I doubt it, maybe place something in the Hoffman classifieds, or be prepared to pay some good money on ebay

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

all! Im interesed in all, Im curious about comparing all originals "masterd by nimbus" or germans etc... vs the SACD's

11. c-eling

1-originals
    2-PCM 5.1
    3-SACD layer
    This is my preference, Now looking at what some of these are selling for, the sacd layer is not worth the cost, If I were you grab "A Broken Frame" I think you can still find the sacd for around 20 bucks and see if it's worth it, The sacd layer is not going to give you a better DR rating as it uses the same remaster

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

originals UK mastered by nimbus are the same than Germany CDs?
    UK's vs USA sire? uk are better?

the good of SACD is that include too the 5.1 disc more some great bsides (no ****ty demos or take's or poor mixes like many reissues around)

13. c-eling

Not sure Stenway on uk,German vs USA, mine are all US Sire 1st press

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

mmm Im curious I collect for the sound not for collecting, I have a friend that have hundreds of cds of depeche, all germans, uk, usa etc.. etc... bla bla bla bla... and I ask and he say "I dont know any about sound quality, I just collect them" ... :doh:

15. c-eling

16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

So lie to me like they do it in the factory
    Make me think that at the end of the day
    Some great CD will be coming my way

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Not everybody cares that much about sound quality. Most original DM CDs sound decent but the 2006/2007 Remasters are also good. Compare them and decide for yourself or if you have questions about a particular album feel free to ask. Avoid the 1998 Singles 81-85 and Singles 86-98 editions as they both sound pretty compressed.

18. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

All versions of Some Great Reward sound very good. ;)

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I don't have a problem with any of the CDs released up through SOFAD. I haven't heard the hi-res versions, but the remasters sound like better transfers at the risk of having more compression. The originals are still very enjoyable.

20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

:blah: Don't you ever get tired of bad-mouthing demos that you've never heard? DM happen to have very interesting demos and rough mixes, only a few of which made it to the "Sounds Of The Universe" box.

With good-to-great sounding singles of DM so easily available, the lack of actual bonus content is the reason I DIDN'T bother with the DM remasters.

Just because you don't like demos doesn't mean they are ****ty.

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, I decided to go and just ordered all of the collector's editions.
    Actually I have been looking for them but the price was somewhat higher earlier, Im glad that I finally got them with this new discount-price.

22. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Get the SACD.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

These were remastered by Mike Marsh at The Exchange, as was Remixes 81>04 and Remixes 2 81>11 and the reissued Singles boxes 1-6 that came out around 2004 or so. These are all examples of the loudness war to my ears. And yet they are almost sonic bliss compared the abomination of Playing The Angel - not sure who the mastering engineer for that one was but it is awful. SOTU wasn't as loud so maybe the band were listening to the fans complaints about PTA.

The 2006 remasters of the first 10 proper albums plus the Best of Depeche Mode Vol 1 were remastered by Simon Heyworth I believe and these sound excellent to my ears. I hope he remasters PTA at some point too.

24. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

Singles Boxes 1-3 were never remastered. The re-releases from when boxes 4-6 came out used the original 1991 mastering, so there's no hurdle to buying those.

For the contents of boxes 4-6:
    - The 1992 versions '87-'90 singles are fine.
    - You can just get the original versions of the SOFAD singles.
    - For box 6, since the originals were brickwalled anyway, I'm not sure there is a big downside in getting it. Or are they even more brickwalled than the originals?

25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The thing about the second edition of boxes is the occasional alternate mixes that were included. The first that come to mind are the extended "Oil Tank Mix", the extended "Rikki Tik Tik" mix, and the alternate "Random Carpet Mix", for example. Unfortunately, the sound is lacking, it's true.