Derek & The Dominoes "Layla" Question(s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

I just got a Polydor/RSO pressing of "Layla", a reissue, but cut fairly well.

My question, because I also own the S.V. and actually like it quite a bit, is if anyone knows that the LP cutting masters used were specifically compressed with a major bass rolloff? I can understand the compression for different reasons, but after listening to the MFSL ][ CD, I'm confused to what "Layla" actually sounds like. I'm leaning twords the MFSL.... The other LP issues, even the Atco I once had, sounds like I'm listening from the jungle... I was curious, if the issues had little differences (?) if there were instructions to use specifically-engineered LP cutter tapes that subdue certain evils, but in major ways...

I liked the remix, but it confuses the hell out of me. Too much of it, and I lose the original feel, completely...
    Steve also, do you have any opinions? Thanks.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The MFSL sounds like the master tapes; bass heavy and warm sounding, like the FIRST CD issue back in the 1980's.

I have not heard any other recent versions.

The master tapes are in pretty bad shape and I'm sure digital remasterings were used for all later material....

3. Sckott

Thanks, Steve!

Yeah, the Lps don't have the depth of dynamic charactor. The MFSL has a nice bottom end, and I was wondering if it was realistic, because the LPs don't give that clue.

Thanks for your help....!

4. Steve Hoffman

Funny, my original ATCO LP of the album sounds pretty much like the two digital versions I mentioned above.

Just for the record (pun) I never liked the sound of that damn album. Too tubby and the drums sounded like mush. But, the remix just sounds, well, like a remix, and the original actually has charm to me now.

Oh well.....

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Funny, I really like that mushy drum sound...<g>

6. Steve Hoffman

Sure, I like it---now. Just imagine what it sounded like on my 1970 record player. I remember scratching my head and then checking my needle for fuzz. :eek:

Then I remember saying to myself: "First "Wheels Of Fire" and now this. Atco must suck!"

When I finally got a good stereo, I could hear the top end on the album, but it was just tape hiss and no snare sound to be found. Sometimes ya can't win! They needed to give away Altec horns with each album....

7. Sckott

That's what I like about the remix, albeit made on a completely different planet. The drums and the bass isn't as mushy, but there's just a lot that shouldn't be there, or should.

Most LPs of the album, not so much the SV, is extra Tapioca-pudding on top of the mush I'm used to. Not that it's bad, but trying to judge if the pudgyness of the album is genuine to intent....! Heck, it's hard sometimes...

The album sounds all melodic, not rocky at all, no punch. Just VERY easy going. Yeah, the hiss is something ya can't avoid....

Boy, what would happen if "Key To The Highway" was caught correctly. Possibly woulnd't make the album, but it would be great to hear where they started.

8. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Many of the songs are at the wrong speed. There are different reasons given but I believe it was a mistake caused by the tape running at the wrong speed. Some of the songs were remixed for the Crossroads box and then again for the CD version of ten years ago. The tape speed error was deliberately duplicated.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It wasn't an error - they intentionally changed the speed on some songs as they saw fit. Just "this sounds good a bit faster, let's do it."

10. John B

Thanks for straightening that up Luke. I feel better knowing it was intended.

11. Steve Hoffman

Those Ampex tape machines don't go off speed unless they are VSO'd, or "taped up".

You would be surprised at the number of your favorite recordings that were sped up a bit to "play" better. It's astounding. Of course, when most are sped up we lose another generation of tape, but that's another story...

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FWIW, I *think* the machines they used at Criteria were MCI models...

Why would mixing at a faster speed require another generation of tape?

13. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

And the winner is....Gerry Rafferty's CITY TO CITY, US/Canada version. Boy did they really speed up that tape. On a Rafferty CD comp a few of the songs were at the 'original speed' and they came off as so sluggish....somebody at UA must have had a reason for fiddling around, or else somebody screwed up in the UK and sent them a spedup tape. We could create a real laundry list of recordings like that.

ED:cool:

14. Steve Hoffman

The sides were too long to be properly cut here in the USA so they just sped the whole damn thing up.

Try and find the DCC Gold disc. First generation British mixes.:)

15. John B

So that's the problem with City to City.

Anyone know why Ticket to Ride is a little off?

16. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Would you want to master Layla on SACD Steve?

17. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I always though "The Song Remains the Same" from "Houses of the Holy" was quite a bit faster than it should be. Plant sounds like a chipmunk on that song. Then again...

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Thanks; I will. Always wondered why that whole album was like that, as speeding up singles has long been a tradition.

ED:cool:

19. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

I love the MFSL CD. :D

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The last Polygram CD has that warm, bassy quality and is from the original tape. They went from the orignal, all the way around to remixes, EQ's tapes, "speed corrected" tapes, all the way back to the original. This says something.

21. John B

Ed,

Have you noticed that "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth" sounds sped up? Either that or the session singers had high and unusual voices.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes, but it's nice to have the choice of what you want to own.

23. Sckott

Oww. Ya sure? Apogee UV22? Also, the master tape was tweeked on purpose, and the title track, "Layla" was sped up something like 4-6% while the rest of the tracks, more like 1-2%. The original master tapes, FWIK, ARE sped up. When they did the remix in the late 80s' early 90's, they even replicated the VSR buy the notes in the box.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

First of all, *all* releases are "speed corrected", in that some songs were sped up a bit during mixing. That goes for all versions of the original mix, as well as any remixes (the 1990 CD, as well as the title track on Crossroads).

Second, what CDs used "EQ'd tapes"? As far as I know, the original Polydor, the MoFi, and the Polydor remaster all used the original masters. What else is there, other than the remix?

I never did pick up the remaster, but I've heard a few of the songs on "The Cream Of..." and "Blues", and at least a few of the songs sound better on the original Polydor CD set...

25. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Erk!

Geeze. It *matters*. Couldn't they just knock a couple of dB off instead! Yeah, I know, then it's not as loud as the next album and you hear the crappy vinyl noise more. But... Geeze!

BTW what means "in the USA"? Do you just mean that they are more willing to put up with quieter records elsewhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.