Deutsche Grammophon sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Da He Hua, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Horowitz.... Horowitz...

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I have the SACD set:

[​IMG]

ParloFax and aphexj like this.
  3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I have the Debussy Complete Works CD/DVD set put out a couple years back by DG. There's some great-sounding stuff, some quite fair stuff, some okay stuff, some not so pleasant stuff. It encompasses a very wide range of recording locations, styles, gear, capture media, etc. etc. The Karajan Beethoven cycle mentioned above is pretty terrific

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    ParloFax and Old Zorki II like this.
  4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

DG has been supposed to be the great sounding label in Japan for some 60 years. And I do not think so at all.
    And few people like the sound of Mercury and EMI. And I think it makes sense.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Old Zorki II likes this.
  5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

To me, there is only one Karajan’s DG recording that sounds great It is his very first recording for the latel, Strauss’ Ein Heldenleben. It was reported that HvK did not like the sound and replaced the engineer.

Matt Richardson and Old Zorki II like this.
  6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

So how many DG recordings do you think you have listened to? I guess I own around 500. Might be more.
    Overall, not too bad IMO. As someone said above the venue and engineers varied and the quality was all over the place.

ParloFax and Old Zorki II like this.
  7. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

I am far from an expert on this, but I always thought this one sounded pretty good on vinyl;

[​IMG]

(Also the Karajan Beethoven cycle mentioned above)

Old Zorki II likes this.
  8. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Clearly not many, and I stated it. Mostly digital (CD and downloads from hdtracks), and some vinyl. The latest record I have is "Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi - The Four Seasons", which IMHO is an awesome music, but recording does sound good but not very natural - not sure in this case "natural" was a goal to begin with.
    But with other stuff... I am not often listen to it carefully as I am in general not fan of pre 20th century classical music -but me wife is (and she doesn't care much about recording quality). My father was semi-professional violin player, classical was always playing in our house, through my life I attended hundreds of classical concerts, operas, etc - it just never touched me like it probably should. Modern classical is a different story )).
    But I think I got my answers from this thread, thank you guys!

ParloFax likes this.
  9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This has been (rightly) supposed to be the greatest sounding vinyl of the label by many people, partly because it has been sitting on HP list for many years.
    It sounds great as the master was remixed by the producer.

10. TimWare

TimWare Well-worn Member

Here's a good article about Deutsche Grammophon and the history of its sound quality
    Here's a good article about Deutsche Grammophon and the history of its sound quality Deutsche Grammophon Stereo LPs

Old Zorki II and princesskiki like this.
  11. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I have that...BUT it's 30 minutes a side!!! Sounds a little thin in parts as a result.

princesskiki likes this.
  12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

FWIW I found a DG reissue series done in the UK called Accolade which is dramatically better than the originals in sonics. They were issued between 1978 and 1983 and came out on a black label, not the usual yellow label. The remastering apparently was done from the original mastertapes which raises the unsettling question of whether DG had excellent master tapes ruined by post production twiddling. About 125 records were reissued. DG in France put them out on the Paraphe series. The sonics are much more natural in both soundstage and tonality.

[​IMG]

TimWare and princesskiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.