Dexter: New Blood (2021) on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 25, 2021.

1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Perhaps you are misremembering :), because Dexter was never exposed to the feds and the public as a serial killer. Not counting his victims who met their demise on Dexter's table, the only people in the original series who ever figured it out all ended up dead (Deb, Doakes, LaGuerta, Lila). Quinn always had his suspicions, and kind of gave that "I always knew something wasn't right with this guy" look after they watched the footage of him killing Saxon, but didn't know for sure. Even if Batista, who always seemed fairly clueless in general anyway and yet always seem to get promoted LOL, thought the Saxon kill was pre-meditated, he never would have made the leap from that to "Dexter is a serial killer." He would have chalked it up to Dexter losing it a little and killing the man who put his sister in a coma.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks for the refresher. So Dexter got away from it all clean? I know he was able to pin a lot of the bodies in the bay on Doakes, but there are a lot of murders since then. It has been awhile, but I for some reason (misremembering) thought that Dexter was finally exposed at the end.

3. George Co-Stanza

Yes.

4. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Dexter, pleeeeease, kill that annoying podcaster.

P.S. Is Michael Hall sporting toupee or plugs? Maybe the apparent screen absence referenced above was hair-related?

sound chaser likes this.
  5. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Quite the interesting turn of events last Sunday. For every irritant (Deb, podcaster, etc.) there seems to be some interesting developments that keep me watching. And Del Shannon will always be heard with a different reference now.

I'll second that. Beyond cartoonish.

D-rock and spanky1 like this.
  6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

What did I miss???

7. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Runaway. Played in the cabin and on the jukebox.

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Oh yeah

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I pulled the plug during the latest episode. The writing and acting are too bad to endure any further.

10. George Co-Stanza

Call me crazy, but I thought this last episode was really good. The lady podcaster is terrible, yeah, but I liked the ending with Angela finding Dexter's obit. My head will explode if she confronts him with, "Hello, Dexter Morgan." LOL

11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

My wife and I barely made it through, but we must have paused it six or seven times saying to each other, ‘Can you believe this ****?’.

Bachtoven and MrGrumpy like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Plus what about shoe/boot prints everywhere?

13. Yeah the writing is pretty weak and some of the acting (blogger lady!) suspect, but I'm still sticking with it for the good parts. Angel speaking in upstate New York and helping to connect the dots??? WTF.

GentleSenator and D-rock like this.
  14. George Co-Stanza

I agree that there are some wtf parts. Dexter, who is always careful, is now sticking people with a syringe in the neck in a public parking lot in broad daylight? Come on, now.

That was pretty contrived, for sure.

D-rock and Pete Puma like this.
  15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Angel was speaking at a conference in Manhattan, not upstate NY.

16. Ok, I missed that detail, that makes it a bit less ridiculous.

17. misteranderson

I think there have always been some WTF moments in Dexter.

New Blood
    is OK, with some very good moments. Beats the hell out of Sunday Night Football, and leads into Yellowjackets, which I can't decide whether I like or not yet, but the cast is great.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  18. misteranderson

Yeah, the guy staying at the Manhattan hotel as "Matt Caldwell" prompted the Police Chief Angela/Annoying True Crime Podcast Lady road trip down to the big city.

19. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

I really want to like the new season but the constant scenes/interruptions with/of his sister are torture.

phantasmagoria and Riktator like this.
  20. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Some of their interactions remind me of Endora from Bewitched. Debra is in his face berating him, he turns around/walks away and there she is again, in his face.

Harrison's a little prick too. Dexter needs to clean house.

bumbletort likes this.
  21. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Another annoying episode. Shock.

22. George Co-Stanza

I thought it was good. I am a little thrown, however, at how Dexter's presence isn't as dominant as it was in the original. He is obviously in a different place, but I think they have done a good job of integrating all of the new characters in enough where seeing a lot of scenes with them and with no Dexter doesn't feel weird at all.

Will be interesting to see how the Kurt thing plays out, as his murder tendencies are Trinity Killer-esque. Like when he shot the woman last week, he was mad because she ran at him and he shot her in the face instead of her running away and him shooting her in the back like he muttered was supposed to happen. It still seems rather strange that Kurt is lying about seeing Matt, as he should still be legit worried where his son is, but I am sure that will play itself out.

23. George Co-Stanza

Anyone else catch that the actor who played the shrink also play the dad of Michael C. Hall's main love interest on Six Feet Under nearly 20 years ago? There is no mistaking that guy's voice.

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i don't think that was him

25. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples

Dexter making mistakes....
    That was EXACTLY his precise and perfect character arc in Season 1-8. In the late seasons, especially #8, he was becoming human (from being a psychopath). That was the whole point of the series. As long as his "humanity" (an anomaly) progressed, he was making mistakes as any normal human being out there.

By the way, some MASSIVE PLOTPOINTS.

1- Since Hannah technically "abducted" Harrison Morgan, why Police or FBI did not attempt to retrace him and thus capture the abductor (Hannah)?

2- Which way did "Oregon Dexter" send a letter to Hannah to begin with? Impossible. Hannah believed that Dexter had died. Dexter did not know where Hannah where, and Argentina is a huge country. How did he manage to send the letter in the very first place?

3- "Oregon Dexter" was dead inside. A zombie. He was a shell of a man. Neither human, nor psychopath. He was void, condamned to spend his entire life in agony, since he had lost the REAL cosmic lover of his life: Debra.
    He wouldn't have sent a letter to Hannah at all.

4- When Harrison returned back in America... what truly happened? Was he recognized as "Harrison Morgan" anyway?

5- SERIOUSLY? Harrison just found a picture depicting Dexter as Jim Lindsay, and so he found out that he was living in Iron Lake? WTF? How did he manage to spot that image among millions and millions of Instagram profiles? Impossible.

6- Harrison is 15 years old. Unbelievable.

7- How did Dexter manage to create false documents for "Harrison Lindsay" in just one day or so?

That's it.