Dexter - Season Eight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No, she actually did. Were you here? I think not. As I said, great minds think alike. You need to stop being so defensive. If people don't like it, that's fine. It's not some sort of great conspiracy.

No one will prevent you from enjoying it.

2. I think I should have responded with the following--accusing people here , who have nothing to gain by it, of lying because they dislike something that you like is very sad.

mrjinks likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I would've, but I was too busy throwing tomatoes at the screen and booing. (Created a big mess in my living room.)

If they do, the fans are gonna attack AMC headquarters with torches and pitchforks.

I'll say this: at least Dexter gave us an ending, unlike Sopranos -- which famously just played music and cut to black -- or Lost, where they went for some kind of profound, pseudo-intellectual BS philosophy without ever answering the key dramatic questions that plagued the series. Dexter didn't give us a good, satisfying ending, but it did at least bring all the events to a close, and we knew the fate of all the central characters and why they wound up where they did.

nosticker likes this.
  4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Would have been even better if you had thrown your copy of Under The Dome.
    On the other points, I kinda agree. Sopranos had a non-ending. Lost was a lob of an ending. Dexter DID wrap things up, even if it is being savaged by people. Facebook is blowing up with all manner of discontent, and while I am unhappy, I shall not join the choir.

Dan

Vidiot likes this.
  5. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

I liked The Soprano's ending. Tony was about to get whacked. The screen turns to black and he is gone.

6. I have to wonder is this one of those endings that won't be as unpopular with time? Some shows have if episodes that fail to provide a satisfying conclusion but. With the passage of time, although not great, aren't as bad as they see estate time.

Personally, I found the conclusion disappointing. Clyde Phillips ending although better could have faced a negative reaction as well depending on how the build up was for the final season.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I thought Burn Notice nailed their final....

8. I agree although I think it went on a season or two too long personally but the last season improved.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Man, I sadly have to agree that this series finale was beyond awful. Laughingly bad in fact. Almost like the writers intentionally decided to come up with the worst crap imaginable, like they wanted to generate publicity in a horrendous Miley Cirus sort of way. This show deserved so much better. My dark passenger is seriously bummed.

If I was the CEO of Showtime I would demand a rewrite and a reshoot (followed by a public execution of the writers). Yeah, that's it, have a do-over. Heck that would make history ("channel exec so disgusted with sloppy writing and pathetic series ending that they are redoing it like it never happened") and the resulting publicity could put the ratings through the roof when the rewrite airs.

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

(I'm just catching up on this thread)

I had been wondering the same thing for awhile now. Would like to know if there was any explanation for that too. There was a lot with Saxon that just didn't make sense to me, I need to rewatch this season, once I get the bad taste out of my mouth.

11. Vidiot

The worst thing I thought they did was to get rid of the rich-kid teenage serial killer, who for maybe one episode seemed to be Dexter's new protoge. They got rid of him very quickly -- too quickly, I think. And you'd think if you left a body with half its head sawed off in a living room chair (as Saxon did with the kid in Dexter's apartment), you'd never get those nasty stains out.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just one example (of many) of the bad/sloppy writing done this season. Although I guess you could just say that Saxon did the brain surgery somewhere else, drained the body of all the blood and washed him up real good, before he broke in and dumped him in Dexter's apartment, unseen by anyone of course. That is if there was no blood spattered around at Dexter's, I don't even remember. I've had to watch this season with one eye closed and the logic circuit in my brain switched off to not get too frustrated with it.

I still don't even understand why Saxon felt compelled to go to the hospital to finish off Deb, let alone how he thought he could possibly get away with it (killing a cop in the hospital?), even with a distraction of a using a tongueless guy down in the ER entrance that is probably 7 or 8 floors removed from ICU....no wait the ER and Intensive Care where Deb was happened to be on the same floor a mere 20 feet away (unless I am misremembering that part, sorry)...same logic must apply how a Federal Marshall is going to not even recognize Saxon after he's been all over the news & untie him since he's bound in a weird way on a.....oh forget it, I give up...if wanted fugitive Hannah (not even disguised in any way) can carry a huge hypodermic needle filled with horse tranquilizer through airport security in this day & age anything is possible in Dexter's universe.

Might as well just turn Dexter into a lumberjack and call it a day; they could have had him become a shrimp farmer with Doke's cousin Bubba but perhaps that would have gone too far.

Vidiot and BurgerKing like this.
  13. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

AutoCorrect gem!

14. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Your confidence was rewarded, I'd say!

15. ringosshed

He was not killed in the apartment.

16. Vidiot

Never said he was. I said Saxon left the body with half its head sawed off, which is true. I can see why the sentence structure is screwy, but I'm just typing first-drafts here with no proofreading. I know that Saxon killed the kid at the abandoned hospital -- they seem to have many of these in Miami -- and then dragged the body into Dexter's apartment. My point is that there would be a ton of blood in that living room with the head opened up like that. Sure, you could clean it up in a couple of days... but in an hour? C'mon.

That sums it up! I agree completely. Way too many weird jumps in logic and coincidences in this show, plus a lot of plot threads still unravelled.

17. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Wasn't the ice truck killer's hide-out in the first season an abandoned hospital? Why are all these hospitals closing in Miami? Not enough waterfront access?

Pericles and Vidiot like this.
  18. Lol.

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I agree with slipkid on Saxon going to the hospital filled with cops.

Saxon seemed a very smart calculated killer who wouldn't be that stupid to just show up there.

20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Maybe Saxon thought he was dying (with all his bleeding) and wanted to make a last ditch effort to finish what he had started with Deb. Or maybe he went there trying to lure Dexter? He did set up a distraction by cutting that guy's tongue out so it's not like he just walked in there.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  21. ringosshed

Not if the body was drained which I suspect it was.

22. ringosshed

He had a refrigerated room in his apartment.

23. Vidiot

Perhaps there's a room covered by 5-mil clear plastic in the future of the entire writing staff...

Come ON.

24. ringosshed

The Ice Truck Killer drained all the blood from his kills. Why would it be so surprising if Saxon did this to Zack.

25. Vidiot

Because the Ice Trucker Killer could take days to do that. Dexter wound up with the kid's body in his living room hours after his murder. C'mon, it's a plot hole. This isn't the first time that they've shied away from admitting how difficult it is to clean up pints and pints of blood all over the floor. It's for reasons like this that Dexter never killed anybody in his house (though he did in the boat).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.