Diana Ross General Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MDNA4ever, Jul 10, 2020.

1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

That was the best word I could come up with before having my morning coffee. :doh:
    I'm definitely open to suggestions!

rfkavanagh likes this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Baby It's Me is another under-rated album which is surprising considering producer Richard Perry had the golden touch in the 70s. This is my second favorite from the album and worked better on the dance floor than some of the other singles.

Diana Ross - Your Love Is So Good For Me

OberonOz, Jrr and JDeanB like this.
  3. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Sounds like a certain British bassist/vocalist! :hide:

4. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Not at all - it's perfect!

majorlance likes this.
  5. MDNA4ever

MDNA4ever Boys in the Trees Thread Starter

Anybody know?

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

An excellent cover of one of Stevie Wonder's best ballads and my favorite from Baby It's Me.

Diana Ross - Too Shy To Say

JDeanB and pghmusiclover like this.
  7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I never liked Endless Love until I heard her solo version. Must have been Lionel who bugged me.

Diana Ross - Endless Love

8. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

:laugh:

MDNA4ever likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I like a ton of Supremes stuff.
    I like a lot of her solo stuff , the early stuff probably mainly, but I liked Upside Down, My Old Piano and that stuff.

Never really knew what to get. I used to have the album with Old Piano on it, but that's all

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

"In the mirror if my mind , time after time , I see reflections of you and me . Reflections of the way life used to be."

MGM and ARK like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hey , if you're gonna post pics post the one of her that's used for the cover if her book. I always thought that was a sexy shot of her.

13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Like so many other artists, she has good songs in her catalogue, and plenty I have no appetite for. That´s not her fault, it´s just my lack of connection with a lot of her music. I also have to admit that I don´t find her voice as interesting as other singers in the same genres.

Having said that, I do like quite a few of her songs. "It´s My House", the "Theme from Mahogany", "Upside Down" and many others... And my favourite of hers is "Touch By Touch", from "Swept Away". No collection is complete without at least a "Best Of" by her. I have that - the SACD - and a few studio albums. I´m set. :agree:

14. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

That guy recently tried to reboot that business via the Soulful Detroit forums and Andy Skurow at Universal pounced right on him - warning him that the next time wouldn't be a warning.

I was regifted a couple of those sets and while they looked pretty, a lot of it soundwise was awful. Some stuff was literally taken off old hissy cassettes probably dating back to the late 80's when things were more lax at the Motown vault. Not worth the money when Universal in the end will always make a much nicer end product.

mosogotamravip likes this.
  15. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Q: Why did Diana Ross name so many albums after herself?

A: Because if she had named after Engelbert Humperdinct you definitely wouldn't have bought them!

Not my joke. That came from George Solomon, who's been reissuing Ross & Supremes sets since the mid 80's...

mosogotamravip, ARK and Cachiva like this.
  16. rfkavanagh

If only they actually would.

Thinking of it from a different direction after the conversation here, all those album titles reflect not just a lack of imagination but also support the idea that her career was more about her than the music itself, even at that point.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I was impressed with that Central Park NYC concert she did that got rained out and she redid it the next night. Great show, she prevailed. I have it on dvd.

OberonOz likes this.
  18. rfkavanagh

Was the SACD done well? It's just CD-hybrid and stereo, right? Curious if it's worth the money.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Yes, it´s a hybrid CD/SACD release.

I haven´t compared the SACD to any CDs I have, but it sounds good. A few tracks were impressive, most of them very good. Warm, detailed.

This is the one: Diana Ross - All The Great Hits

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    rfkavanagh likes this.
  20. rfkavanagh

Well, I just spent more money. Not on the SACD, but I found six CDs for $20 on eBay - Why Do Fools Fall In Love/Silk Electric/Ross/Swept Away/Eaten Alive/Red Hot Rhythm & Blues. That's almost her entire '80s album output - can't be too bad an investment at that price...

Cachiva and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I bring this up a lot on Diana forums so here I go again. Her 70s singles chart performance is remarkable in that of the 23 records that made the Hot 100, only 4 hit the Top 10 and they were all #1s. That trend ended in the 80s beginning with I'm Coming Out (#5). The UK charts were kinder to her in the early part of her solo career by giving her Top 10 hits with Remember Me, Surrender and the #1 I'm Still Waiting.

22. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Of her solo work, I think her best album is the "Diana" album she did with Chic, the one with "Upside Down".

My favorite individual song of hers is probably "Love Hangover", the album version.

Before I got into music, my parents had an 8-track of the Lady Sings The Blues soundtrack they played over and over around the time they got it. It had a mixture of songs and movie dialog. That probably influenced my taste in music some later on.

And I'm also a big Supremes fan.

23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Excellent. I actually really like all these. I mean, don’t get me wrong...They’re all patchy! Still, there’s a lot of enjoy. Are these the original CDs or the FunkyTownGrooves remasters? The latter are good value with lots of bonus material. Not overly expensive when they came out either. Only downside is the artwork isn’t fantastic.

rfkavanagh, MDNA4ever and Jarleboy like this.
  24. rfkavanagh

95% sure they're the originals - particularly at that price. Ordinarily I'm all about the expanded remasters, but for $20 I couldn't pass these up!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Let us know what you think of them when they arrive.