Did Amazon remove Marketplace prices from wish list display?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by CURPLES, Mar 10, 2023.

1. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll have to try that, thanks.

2. Bones

Bones Well-Known Member

I agree that the effectiveness of what I have suggested depends to a great extent on what you are looking for and the number of items. My wish list runs into three figures (I will never get them all but I like looking) and are almost exclusively CDs that are out of print so are extremely unlikely to be offered by Amazon. What works effectively for me will not work for all.

Hopefully the wish list will start working again (perhaps it is just an accidental glitch) but in the meantime the more ways we can find to check prices (for our different wants/desires) the better. All responses to my earlier message are appreciated.

CURPLES and GiorgioV like this.
  3. dna3003

dna3003 Forum Resident

Did anyone else think they invented this method? My biggest score was wishlisting a book Alice Coltrane wrote and eventually finding it for $8...and having it arrived SIGNED. I was in disbelief.
    I hope they get this back to the way it was soon!

CURPLES likes this.
  4. Kevlar

Kevlar Active Member

Just joined this site to add comments ref this ridiculous move by Amazon.

I'm in the UK, I have about 35 lists, with hundreds, possibly thousands, of items saved in them. I used to spend up to £100 a day on used CD's - rare/collectible stuff, but now I spend virtually nothing, only the odd "new" item.

As per others comments, I think what Amazon have done seems utterly ludicrous and I believe it must be costing them and their marketplace sellers a lot of money. How can effectively "hiding" the prices and availability of items for sale be to anyone's advantage?

I've also noticed the prices and availability of marketplace items seem to have disappeared from some search results. It would be interesting to hear if this is the same for anyone else?

I've been onto Amazon many times without much success, but they did seem to suggest this is something they intended to do. Utter madness, in my opinion.

CURPLES and panasoffkee like this.
  5. Kevlar

Kevlar Active Member

Something I'd like to add.

If this isn't a "glitch", why are you still able to choose an option to sort the wish lists from "low to high" price or "high to low"? Why leave that option in but not working, rather than just removing the option altogether? Also, when I sort into price low to high, some new items still appear at the top of my lists, randomly mixed with some items with no availability. Another thing, if you visit a marketplace seller's Amazon "storefront", all the used items have had the prices removed from there too. And, as I mentioned before, if I do a standard search on Amazon from their homepage for used items, the prices and availability are missing from there as well.

I know they claim it's not a glitch, but it seems looks like a glitch to me...

panasoffkee likes this.
  6. stinkyman23

stinkyman23 Well-Known Member

I don't really have anything to add. I'm a CD/book collector just like most of you on here. I've spent thousands and thousands through their used listings feature, it's a shame that it's gone. It was great while it lasted. I doubt it'll be fixed despite the slump in sales it'll cause. If you folks find any solutions as efficient as the old wishlist let me know! I'll do the same if I find any.

Kevlar, panasoffkee and CURPLES like this.
  7. devil-town

devil-town Well-Known Member

I thought it was just me experiencing the lack of used prices in wish lists, so I'm glad I found this discussion.

I joined the forum so I could share my workaround.

I've been using a free app and Chrome extension called Toby to manage bookmarks—for work and hobbies—and have started using it for my Wish List items.

Toby lets you create 'Spaces' and organise webpages into 'Collections'.

I've created an 'Amazon Wish List' space and have organised my Wish List items into various Collections.

[​IMG]

Clicking the 'Open tabs' button opens the Collection in tabs, and I can quickly click through them and view the used offers. (Opening too many tabs simultaneously can slow things down for me, so my collections contain around six webpages.)

[​IMG]

Expanding a Collection lets you see all the bookmarks, and you can edit the titles and descriptions.

[​IMG]

You can also add tags, so you don't have to expand a Collection to view its contents (though Toby displays multiple tabs as a scroll, which isn't very convenient).

[​IMG]

It's not a perfect solution, and it takes some time to set up, but I can quickly check the product page of my most-wanted items. I find it easier than scrolling through long wish lists and clicking each item.

I hope this is useful, and I look forward to hearing if anyone has an alternative workaround.

panasoffkee, Dave and Kevlar like this.
  8. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

This new regime with Amazon shopping is equally conducive to both savings (my marketplace purchases have dropped) and frustration... Oh, well.

I am still checking out marketplace prices of a couple of dozen items I've set as home page, and it works: just today, I grabbed a Depeche Mode deluxe CD/DVD set, quite a rare item, for very little money. Although I cannot help but be irritated by the stupidity of the gimmick I'm forced to resort to. Besides, I can only do that on my home PC, not my smartphone.

Other than that, I had wishlists with dozens and dozens of items that I just do not have the will nor the time to check out individually and that maybe I'll buy one day only should Amazon eventually offer a good price on those.
    So, so stupid.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    Kevlar and panasoffkee like this.
  9. Kevlar

Kevlar Active Member

The whole thing makes no sense at all, that I can see?. The only outcomes I can think of would be less sales for Amazon marketplace sellers, meaning less fees received by Amazon from those sellers, and much more hassle and irritation for Amazon's buyers. How exactly is any of this simplifying or improving the experiences for either buyers or sellers? If anyone can see any advantage these changes have made for anyone, I would love to hear them! I did ask Amazon, but was told there is no way for me to communicate to the relevant team...

CURPLES likes this.
  10. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Yeah, these days, they've made it pretty much impossible to communicate with them period. Recently, I've had a package whose delivery was postponed several times due to repeated unspecified "requests" that I did not make, though (so it had to have been the courier itself). So I wanted to contact Amazon to ask for an explanation and possibly complain since I had paid roughly 20GBP for shipping, and it was taking three weeks. Well, the idiotic "chat" system they have in place in the end just provided me with a choice of "OK! I'll wait some more!" or "I don't want the item anymore".
    In the past, it would have been Amazon itself to contact me to apologize for the delay and possibly refund me the shipping cost or give me a gift card or something.
    And before then, it was possible to send a bloody email and get a reply to that one instead of the damn chat (oh, I'm not inclined to use the phone call option due to some excruciating past experiences).

Kevlar likes this.
  11. Kevlar

Kevlar Active Member

When I go into "Manage List" on any of my lists and then select my delivery address, I get the follow message next to a "!" in a yellow triangle:

"We're experiencing issues with the purchase of list items from third-party sellers. We'll have a fix available soon."

Could this be the issue we're all experiencing???

dirtnap101 and Bones like this.