Did anyone go to a Queen concert (1970-1986)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dreamersball, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

It is. The real question is that if that's Bowie's back at the very end!

2. It is not, I don’t think it is.

3. F-Stop Fitzgerald

F-Stop Fitzgerald Full Fathom Five

3/3/1976, Roy Wilkins Auditorium, St. Paul, MN. It was originally supposed to be at the St. Paul Civic Center but ticket sales hadn't been strong enough so it got moved around the corner to the smaller venue, which was about to be rehabbed. Because of that, there was netting strung below the ceiling to catch any loose plaster that might drop (none did, that I saw). It made for an interesting visual though.

Opening act was Kansas and I was a bit of a fan so I enjoyed them. First concert I'd been to that had lasers as part of the light show, so we were all living in the future, you betcha.

The beginning of Bo Rap was prerecorded, but from then on it was all live as I recall. Freddy was in fine form and it was an exhilarating performance. Had a couple friends along who only went to it because it was something to do, they weren't fans of Queen at all. But by the end of the evening they had become rabid fans. With good reason.

4. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I've never shared this.. not a Queen fan but I saw them in 1980 on The Game tour.

I went with some friends.
    It was a nice time actually.

They opened up with Jail House Rock.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Zongadude likes this.
  5. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

I saw them on probably their worst tour--1982 Hot Space. The setlist really blew.

Was mostly HS and The Game songs with a few classics sprinkled in. Was a teenager and pretty much expected the Live Killers setlist--man was I disappointed.

When they started off with Prime Jive I knew the show just wasn't going to live up to what my expectations were.

6. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

No. Sure wish, though. I was 11 in 1986.

It was Night At The Opera that got me into them. A month or so later, Freddie died. Didn't know he was sick. Speculation on his health wasn't big here in the US. That was more focused on Pee Wee Herman at the movies theater around then. Corporate American media is bulls***.

Anyhow, I was very stoked with Live At Wembley that came out months later. Roger's on fire with that one.

7. I saw Queen open for Mott The Hoople in 1974 at the Travel & Transportation building in Oklahoma City. They were both great but Queen has very loud and distorted sound. Mott sounded great though!

NunoBento likes this.
  8. Could have but the timing never worked out. Thought I had forever to see them...

9. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

My Queen concert story... March 1977, Jubilee Auditorium in Calgary, AB... ‘Day At The Races’ tour with Thin Lizzy as the support. This was an unusual gig on that tour because, instead of the typical large arena venue, they were booked in for two consecutive nights at the posh soft-seater concert hall which sat only 2500 people... really great acoustics. Me and three friends had bunked off school and driven overnight to get to the show two provinces away... big adventure, we went to both nights... same fifth row seats for both. The shows were fantastic... albeit completely identical in every way.

Anyway, folks may recall that Freddie used to come out for the encore in a kimono and then strip down to stripy red hot pants while singing ‘Hey Big Spender’... the kimono was tied up with a long sash / scarf thing which he tossed in to the audience. Well, long story short, the sash landed square on my right shoulder and then fell to the floor beside me... the guy behind me goes for it, as do I... and the proverbial tug-of-war ensues over the “valuable” souvenir. I sure wasn’t going to let go... and neither was my worthy opponent. So, eventually, in true Canadian-style compromise, we agreed to cut it in half... furiously hacking away at it with a car key. :rolleyes:

I kept that sad remnant of rock stardom for many years (43?!), lost somewhere at the back of my sock drawer... but have just recently (finally) put it on proper display in my music room... framed up with some relevant magazine photos and my ticket stubs from the night. I always wonder if the other guy still has his half of the sash... :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

"Did anyone go to a Queen concert (1970-1986)?"

Not me but I imagine some people did or they wouldn't have kept having them......:D:tiphat:

11. That's awesome.

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Palace Theater, Dayton Ohio, Feb. 1975. Can't remember the opening act, but my memories of Queen were mixed. I thought Freddie's cut-off mike stand shtick was silly, as well as the overload smoke machine finale. Otherwise I enjoyed it. I'd never have guessed then what they would become.

pscreed likes this.
  13. Awesome.

14. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Feb 7, 1975 Dayton, OH
    Jan 18, 1977, Detroit, MI
    Dec4, 1977 Dayton, OH

The Real Wizard likes this.
  15. pscreed

I was there. That exact show. I was 15 and my mom dropped me and my friends off to see it. Kansas was the opener. Smoke at the end was orange. WTF.

We may disagree on this I guess. Me and my friends thought they were gods. GODS of rock :)

Bulsara and George Blair like this.
  16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Well, I'm sure if I saw the show now I would be in awe. As long as I could skip Kansas... :laugh:

pscreed likes this.
  17. pscreed

What a small world on the forums here man.... the only thing I remember about Kansas is they had a fiddle player who seemed like he could actually play it.

I also remember Brian had a wall of Vox AC-30s behind him. A wall. Of AC-30s. Like 3 wide and 3 high. Maybe 4 wide. The feedback was unreal sometimes in an awesome way. Sometimes not.

At the end when that orange fog came rolling out... we thought we were getting oxygenated. It could be that other substances were involved :)

I will swear to this forever though. I have seen hundreds of shows in my life and I will never forget seeing Freddie the first time. I will never forget thinking in 1975 (as a very impressionable super-rock fan)... this guy is going to be the biggest rock star in the world.

Bulsara, Crungy and George Blair like this.
  18. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

1978 Buffalo Aud

It was a school night and 2 hours away and my parent were not cool about stuff like that. So I did what any, at the time, massive queen fan would do. Lied about where I was going, came back late, and took the consequences.
    I don't remember what the consequences were. I remember the show.

The Real Wizard, jhm, Bulsara and 3 others like this.
  19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Why is it?

20. Oh dear, think I replied to the wrong person, whoops!

21. I meant to reply to the person below that comment.

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I saw them live in '86 with Marillion as opener. Great show.

23. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I saw them at the Beacon Theater in NYC in 1976. I was just getting into them at the time. Bohemian Rhapsody was a current hit and I believe I recently purchased Sheer Heart Attack.

With no internet at the time I can honestly say this sheltered 19 year-old Bronx boy was not quite prepared for the leotards and Freddy Mercury's live presentation. :laugh:

Bulsara, Whizz Kid and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. The Real Wizard

The Real Wizard Forum Resident

The first night of the News of the World tour, in Portland - November 11, 1977. They played it pretty well every night through 1982.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. The Real Wizard

The Real Wizard Forum Resident

Nope, it's a dead link. Can you perhaps drag and drop them into wetransfer.com and post the link here ?

Franzvst likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.