Did Metal die in the mid-90s ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dissidence, Dec 24, 2020.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Seems to me that you're dismissing the underground with a hand wave. The 80s was a pure pop era. Whether it was metal or alt/indie post-punk, almost all of the best rock then was underground (at least in the US).

In 1983, Metal Health (the album) hit number one on the Billboard 200. No one is trying to define that reality away. But another album released that year peaked at only 155. That one's called Kill 'Em All. I'll leave it to my fellow posters to decide which album has the edge in quality and cultural impact.

Now we're in another pure pop era. Only ONE rock album topped the Billboard 200 this year. And ALL albums sales today are dwarfed by the 80s and the 90s, not just metal.

I don't know the state of metal today. I'm too gull durn old. But I'm gonna reach for A Pyrrhic Existence long before Fear Inoculum.

qwyjibo and hutchguv like this.
  2. dmiller458

Interesting how you use the term real metal three times, once with double quotes and twice without. Is it supposed to be some kind of irony? And the commercial success of glam metal is always worth discussing because when the mainstream is healthy, the underground thrives.

Commercial metal is the gateway drug. IF some young teen with a chip on their shoulder living out in Podunk USA starts out with Avenged Sevenfold and they end up at Agalloch; then A7X has done their job.

hutchguv likes this.
  3. Dissidence

Dissidence Human Thread Starter

I'm agree. In the 70s, 80s or even 90s, people at least knew there was a metal scene.
    Yeah, yet Cradle Of Filth's "Dusk And Her Embrace", "Cruelty And The Beast" have nothing to envy to Emperor, Mayhem or Darkthrone albums. I was hiding my Dusk And Her Embrace CD, but I was listening on repeat ! Funeral In Carpathia, Red Roses For The Devils's Whore... Just listen the beauty of the instrumental "The Graveyard By Moonlight" ! It transcends Black Metal. 1996...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Rider2, hutchguv and Brenald79 like this.
  4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Metal is not dead, never has been. Im 30 so i cant compare to being part of the time but plenty of bands carried the torch in the 90s and 00s when everyone here complaining that it died gave up on metal.

ive run an underground metal record label for 10 years now, and theres a ridiculous amount of heavy metal bands putting out quality releases. Just listen to the new Eternal Champion. Or just listen to Reign in Blood for the 7,347 time and stop saying metal is dead because you killed it by not caring

qwyjibo, hutchguv and Dissidence like this.
  5. Baphomet

Baphomet The Wanderer

I'm in my 50s i still wear heavy rock/metal t-shirts

The AC/DC highway to Hell
    Iron Maiden Killers/Sanctuary (Eddie killing Margaret Thatcher lol)
    Deep Purple In Rock
    Black Sabbath Iron Man

Are my faves. I got others Judas Priest, UFO, Metallica, Anthrax etc

I can't get them from shops except when i'm in London i order them from amazon and ebay.

Jeff Kent, hutchguv and Dissidence like this.
  6. Baphomet

Baphomet The Wanderer

The heaviest i can listen to is Anthrax and Slayer. I do prefer the older Classic heavy rock bands.

hutchguv likes this.
  7. Baphomet

Baphomet The Wanderer

I wore all that stuff in the 80s.
    Great memories.

Mark J, Deuce66 and Dissidence like this.
  8. Dissidence

I really like your reaction. No kidding, sincerely. This is the type of reaction we need to have.
    But even the Hellfest (in France) is going "pop". People go there for alcohol, drugs, not music. And they dress up too (wtf) ! The main scene has unfortunately the worst crowd.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Rider2 and hutchguv like this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It’s unbelievable how much power we let the collection consciousness of metal fans have over us when we secretly listen to certain bands just so we can be accepted or avoid confrontation.

hutchguv and Dissidence like this.
  10. Dissidence

They were really good friends. But for some of them, Metallica was just Kill'em All, Maiden just Di'Anno albums, Slayer's South and Seasons were commercial, Black Metal only norwegian !
    Don't worry, I was "avenging" myself with my best sepultura albums (Beneath, Arise). When you play "Arise" to a late 80s metalhead, he calms down quickly and well. :eek:

Rider2, hutchguv and Brenald79 like this.
  11. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I think stoner/doom metal has had a big creative resurgence since 2010

qwyjibo, hutchguv and Dissidence like this.
  12. Dissidence

King Weed in lead. 13 albums in 3.5 years !
    Take ANY album from their discography, it will be perfect. I've never heard such groovy riffs since black sabbath !
    It's that good. The dope. And they're french :agree:

Beware, as a youtube comment says :
    The guitar is tuned in drop weed.

Rider2, drobo, Ivand and 3 others like this.
  13. dmiller458

I love doom, drone, sludge and stoner.

hutchguv and Dissidence like this.
  14. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

Opeth, Agalloch, Symphony X, Nightwish, Amorphis, Circus Maximus, Daylight Dies, Epica, Leaves’ Eyes, Edenbridge, Ghost, Haken, Mastodon, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius and Tool all offer evidence to the contrary (in my opinion).

15. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

If Lamb Of God hadn’t shown up, it might’ve. They definitely re-energized the thrash genre.

Dissidence likes this.
  16. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

You have great taste in music, but I will respectfully disagree. There have been great Metal albums since and I suspect that the last great Metal album will be recorded long after I have gone (I am in my 50s).

Baphomet and hutchguv like this.
  17. Dissidence

Burn The Priest.
    Ressurrection #9 or Departure Hymn... :faint: Even the cover is insane.

Rider2 likes this.
  18. dharma bum

dharma bum Forum Resident

Yeah, even Slayer was way too heavy/fast for me. I could deal with some Anthrax...they at least were always big on melody.

Baphomet and hutchguv like this.
  19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I really want to get into all of these newer metal bands.I try at different times to listen and get a feel for what they are going for.After every angle it just has not clicked.:shrug:
    Some live shows were fun but but not leading to anything lasting.People play me a few things and I go back to older stuff again.It’s cool if people enjoy all of this stuff.

Dissidence and hutchguv like this.
  20. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Two bands I love

Purson - The Circle And The Blue Door my favourite album of the past ten years if not twenty

Although I would never call it Metal Psychedelic Hard Rock almost pop in places

Dissidence likes this.
  21. dmiller458

You cover so much ground it's difficult to know where to start. Metal has a 50+ year history. 30-50-100 albums is too small of a number (IMO).

Master of Reality, Reign In Blood, Chaos A.D., etc. set the standard. You don't compare the standard to the new album. That's backward thinking. You compare the new album to the standard.

It takes a minimum of 5-10 years to put an album into its proper perspective. It's too soon to judge Ohms (2020) on an all-time basis. It's too soon for Autumn Eternal (2015). Whether I'll be listening to those album six months or a year from now isn't that important. But will metalheads still be listening to them in 2035 or 2040?

Someone raised on a love of extreme and hardcore is going to find a way to combine the two (metalcore) and the industry is always going to find a way to commercialize it (melodic metalcore). If I don't like it, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not metal. It might mean that I'm a BOF.

Dissidence likes this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I was just talking to my IT guy who was wearing an Enslaved hoodie and he said he liked old school Metal. I sensed he was a young'un and said, well I saw Iron Maiden in 1985. He went, "whoa cool, not that old." So all things are relative.

Mark J and Dissidence like this.
  23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Unfortunately, no But I'm speaking more towards Death Metal. I don't get it. I get having rage but .... idk, I guess it's just not for me.

Dissidence likes this.
  24. Dissidence

Purson - The Circle And The Blue Door :love:
    A little light for me, but the album is so fantastic ! Blood Ceremony is more heavy. They're metal on my favorite album of them : Living With The Ancients.
    Excellent answer. I can even add that I have a proof with Chaos A.D. When it came out, the fans were offended ! I worship Morbid Visions, Schizophrenia, Beneath The Remains and Arise, but these albums were "just" Perfection in their genre. Chaos A.D. IS Sepultura.
    Try Chaos A.D. if you get having rage !
    "Don't, don't believe what you see. Don't, don't believe what you read. No !" Propaganda. In this song alone, they imagine a dialogue between the social classes. Pure genius. And there is Kaiowas...

But don't forget the 21st century !

:D

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Rider2 and hutchguv like this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Two traditional metal albums made the top 5 of Encyclopaedia Metallum best of 2020.

Wytch Hazel - III Pentecost