Did you ever end up owning speakers so heavy and large that you cannot possibly move them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MonkeyMan, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s a great cleaning lady

Pkcpga likes this.
  2. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

She is, our TV’s are wall mounted, she pushes the TV’s forward to their prop point and vacuums behind them, then wipes the wall.

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

On paper, at 145lbs ea my speakers would seemingly be hard to move, but I leave them in the caster mode (they are switchable between casters and spikes), so they are very easy to move around. Now, picking them up and carrying them would be a different issue!

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

I was considering Wilson SabrinaX as the final (hopefully) speaker for my basement room. When I saw their weight, they were immediately removed from consideration. Moving them down the stairs would've killed me, even with my grandson's assist.

The max weight I've owned was 70 pounds, and that was when I was much younger.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Eh, just about anything can be moved. It may require equipment, possibly the help of one or two other people, but it can be moved.

Also, if I could afford those Tannoys, I could afford paying somebody to move them for me…

MonkeyMan, BrentB and timind like this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Two weeks ago, I drove my three 1968 Altec A8s from my garage in Washington to my basement in Kansas. Had a heck of a time getting them down the basement stairs by myself, but getting them up the stairs will be far worse, when the time comes! IMG_20210721_110026.jpg
    18 years ago, my wife told me in no uncertain terms that these can never go in our house in Washington, but she gave me the go-ahead to put them in the basement of our house in Kansas. "Low WAF," no doubt.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No, thankfully...

8. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

No, uh, not yet...

9. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I've owned lots of floorstanding speakers, but several years ago when I sold my Thiel 3.7s, after all the rigamarole of getting them in to the boxes, packing and lifting them around all that went through my mind is "That's it, I'm not buying speakers this big and heavy again."

And I still haven't :)

10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

You forgot... possibly with a lot of patience and/or a lot of cussin'.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

From what I can figure, by reading many posts in here and in other speakers forums, most wives have not.

12. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

Sorry for you then.

13. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Why me ???

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

And that was about $25k?

The towers in the background are some substantial cabinets also. Maybe together about the same weight as the JBL!

motorstereo likes this.
  15. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

Because your wife picks your speakers for you. Unless I mistook your meaning.

16. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I would never own a speaker which do not punch above their weight

17. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

Geez. I hope my speakers don't start to commit battery. I have enough trouble with my wife.

18. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

If I was a billionaire I'd have me one of those Paragon's and a '62 Caddy Eldorado

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and motorstereo like this.
  19. Artie2

Artie2 Well-Known Member

I think I have that same set. Except that I got them at a flea-market about 10 years ago for around $20. But I can't lift them now.

A couple others that I can't lift now, but could when I bought them; Yammy NS-1000M's, Tandy Optimus 7's and some Maggie MG-1's.

dkmonroe likes this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

The Cornwall is a 14,560 cu in speaker. To contrast, I own a speaker that is a mere 30" x 18" x 16" (8640 cu in), yet weighs in at 110 lbs. (Yamaha NS-2000's). The weight belies their size, you'd never suspect it looking at them.

Three years ago this month when I purchased them, I was able to huck them around without too much consideration, but suddenly three short years later pushing 59 years old they seem a lot heavier. I can still lift / move them - I just have to be ready!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

The 828 series bass cabinet on the A7's measures 30"x42"x24", which works out to 30,240 cubic inches and weighs 140-lbs.

The cabinet is made of plywood and would be considerably heavier if it was manufactured with MDF.

22. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I got them in my house (second floor even!) - but I did have to take out the horn and the back panel to reduce the weight first...
    [​IMG]

DPM, Ntotrar, Ken E. and 6 others like this.
  23. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

You did mistake it. My wife could not care less about what I bring in the house. As long as it is not a snake.

24. SandAndGlass

The A7-500-W models weigh about 180-lbs each, due to their Walnut covered cabinets. The sides are a veneer, while the tops appear to be a walnut plank. The dimensions are slightly larger due to them being on a base, raised off of the floor and the base and top extending out a bit.

This is how they appear with the grills off.

[​IMG]

You can see that the cabinets are inverted as compared to the commercial versions and the full 511-B horns are now on the inside of the cabinet. These flagship home VOTT models have Alnico magnets and the older style green paint on the horns and drivers.

25. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

My Maggie 3.6s aren't that heavy but the nature of the design makes lifting them a challenge for my 64 year-old bones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.