Differences between an audiophile and a record collector, can a person be both?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert Godridge, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will hold my hands up here and say I'm much more a record collector than an audiophile. Recently I've been having a problem I've discussed on this thread
    ortofon 2m blue stylus always picks up dust even on new clean lps but 2m red didn't?
    Basicly, my records have to be super clean and even then my stylus often picks up dust, making things sound mudy.
    This is only a problem on my pro-ject, I also have a lenco gl75, shure m-44 cart with expert paratrace stylus, and this problem has brought up a few philosophical questions for me.
    The pro-ject sounds great, but it's looking as though I can only use it for a few lps. It makes a lot of my collection sound like crackly junk, and so I'm starting to think there are clear differences between audiophiles and collectors. I'm starting to think things like
    Do I have this vg lp because it's rare or because I'm going to play it often?
    These mint but static-y classical lps I have sound great after a clean and a couple of plays, but am I really going to do this with 5000 lps?
    why not just go digital? I'd miss the warm sound that I know records have, and sure I'd keep quite a lot of lps, but I will not miss the cleaning, the crackle, the static, etc.

78s are my first love, and once you've got over the necessity of having a few stylie to hand, you can play vg by vinyl standards 78s that will sound as good as excellent condition ones, it's making lps into a bit of a tedious thing for me.
    If you're an audiophile, do you play all your records?
    I am getting a pro-ject rcm very soon, but still!
    Does anyone else identify with this?

2. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Audiophile and record collector are two independent things. Sometimes a person is both, another person is one or the other, etc.

Just to be clear from the start...are you trying to start a digital vs. vinyl debate?

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Two different things. Apples and oranges.

melstapler likes this.
  4. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

It wouldn't surprise me if there's someone out in the world who collects vinyl but doesn't listen to them, and maybe doesn't even own a record player. They are really cool artifacts on their own, particularly when the whole package is made well (cover art, stuff on the inside, colored/picture vinyl, etc.).

vinylbeat and Bingo Bongo like this.
  5. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Curious, how do you clean your records? I'm always looking for a better way to do mine. Thanks.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

If your records are actually clean, and stored in proper sleeves, the fact that your stylus gets gunked up by dust so quickly it affects playback is a sign that something, somewhere is wrong. Could be the environment, maybe the TT mat, hard to say.

The concept of obtaining records in good condition and then cleaning & storing them right just goes hand in hand with good playback, regardless of whether one defines themself as a collector (best sounding or original pressings, rare pressings etc.) or an audionut (including remastered reissues, audiophile specialty pressings, etc.) -- or both.

Revolver likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. Robert Godridge

Definitely no wish to start yet another digital vs analog debate!
    I clean my records with distilled water and art du sun fluid, and will soon have an rcm which should help with the above problem.
    I'm using a good cork mat, my tt is a pro-ject and I do prefer the mat but might try without one!

9. Robert Godridge

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I rarely play my beloved Beatles UK record collection, but that doesn't make me an audiophile.

Myke likes this.
  11. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Yes they can, I have been a record collector for 35 years and an audiophile for the last 12. I hope to continue with both until the very end.

To me a record collector is simply someone who enjoys collecting records and probably has a large and varied collection. An audiophile is someone interested in hearing their music in the best sound quality - getting closer to the music if you like. I know people who have thousands of rare records and play them on a very cheap turntable and also people with very expensive systems and only a small collection of audiophile approved titles - neither is wrong if it brings them happiness - I am somewhere in the middle with 3000+ records and a very nice high end system.

Jimmy Mac and Myke like this.
  12. Myke

After every record ( 2 sides ). Already starting to see black crap stuck in the goo. When we opened my Oppo recently, we couldn't believe the dust that had gotten inside in a period of 76 months. I've since moved, and seem...seem to have less dust.

13. Myke

I played a few of my Parlophone monos the other day, and was amazed at how quiet they were.

14. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

I'd say I'm a record collector first and foremost and am as "good" an audiophile as I've been able to reasonably afford re: buying better Hi Fi as I've gone from a teenager using an old music centre to an adult with a decent(ish) system now.

Dan Steely likes this.
  15. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Indeed. Not everyone with a rock collection (Jesus Christ Marie, they're not rocks. They're minerals) is a geologist. I know somebody that doesn't own a turntable but has a collection of LPs strictly for the art. My favorite is his Spinners album that has a four armed guy playing keyboards and a girl with a snake for a guitar strap.

16. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yes and no...sort of.

Each have different goals in mind, and you can be one or the other. I find record collectors are those who are very particular when it comes to things like pressings, rare titles, specialty releases, and other specific aspects of individual recordings. Audiophiles put an emphasis on sound quality, and prioritize their collections mainly towards that, but they are also generally into the music for its own sake. And then, there can be a certain degree of fanatical obsession for either one.

And yet, someone can easily be both, but I'm not sure that is as common as one might expect. An audiophile can have lots of albums that they've acquired and be particular about certain titles, but listening is more of a priority than the actual acquisition end of it that is typical for a dedicated collector.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My cat likes to hang out on my dustcover.

I once tried Scram on a different table, but it eats into plexiglass.

18. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I’m a record collector who likes to listen to music with good sound.

Having said that, I found the (for me) perfect set-up in 1990 and haven’t changed anything apart from replacing cartridges since.

Desolation Row and James Bennett like this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You can be both.

20. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yep.

I love collecting records, but can't really afford to on a regular basis anymore though.
    I was jazzed to find an original Lesley Gore's Greatest Hits on original Mercury label! The sound is dreadful though!
    That's why I have a good sounding CD of her hits with the original 45 mixes.

So one CAN be both.

g.z., Myke and Grant like this.
  21. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Back in 70’s i had a great record collection that i played through a half decent audio system...spent more of my time enjoying the music.
    My buddy Ken had a smaller record collection..yet had a great stereo setup..top of the line speakers, amp, equaliser, turntable, reel to reel etc.
    I use to go over to his place with my latest record purchases to hear what they sounded like on his system. Not a pleasant experience...he kept getting up from his chair to make adjustments to his system...drove me crazy!
    The audiophile and the collector....neither of us both.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm a poor audiophile music lover. Gone are the days I could buy new gear on a whim. Hell! Gone are the days when I could spend $100 or more on CDs every week!

O Don Piano likes this.
  23. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I have in fact two turntables: one is here to play only new or mint vinyl records, and the other is dedicated to play all the beat-up or not-so-good-conditions discs that I have.
    So that the new and mint Lps don't get degraded by the needle that has to go thru all the "old" grooves.
    (For example, Prince 's new pressing of "Planet Earth" is played on turntable A, whereas my original red-labelled UK "Love me do" single is played by turntable B. ;) )

I collect records and I also love to get close to the best sound that I can. (I place my speakers in the correct position/distance, I tend to prefer hires files over cds, etc....).

MitchLT likes this.
  24. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I collect record. I buy gear to play records. But this doesn't mean I buy gear that isn't worthy of my collection. I spend way more on records than I do gear.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Much depends on how you define a so-called "audiophile". And it sounds to me like you're bordering on being one judging by how clean you like to keep your records. Keeping your records in as "mint" condition as possible is, the way I see it, a big part of being an "audiophile". Overall condition and cleanliness of vinyl surface clearly affects the sound of the music so, there you go. But i do think you're putting too much emphasis/importance on the whole "audiophile" thing. One may have the big bucks to spend on 2000 dollar turntables etc., but in my opinion, that-in and of itself-doesn't make them an audiophile. I think any music lover is worthy of that categorization (for what it's worth)if they have a very strong desire for good sounding records and spend the time and effort in seeking them out. But do you need be an audiophile to be a collector or the other way around...?? No, not necessarily. A collector has to have every version, pressing, import of a record he can find. The audiophile will settle for simply the best sounding one. Are there people who are obsessive on both ends? yes.

toilet_doctor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.