Differences between -NEW- Mac Preamps ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rl1856, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident Thread Starter

McIntosh recently introduced the C2700 to go along with the C2600, C70 and C22 MK V. At their core, each preamp is tube based, using 5 x 12ax7 and 1 x 12at7.

The 2700/2600 contain digital processing modules, with the 2700 having more advanced digital processing.
    The 70 and 22 are all analogue. The 70 looks like an updated version of the 22, with the 22 being a newer version of the classic C22. Both share a feature set that is very similar.

Leaving aside aesthetic design and digital features, just how similar are these preamps for pure 2ch reproduction, given that all use the same basic tube line up (and circuit) ?

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Have you checked the specs, they are not exactly all the same and I won't go into them here as you can refer to them on Mac's website, but there are differences in signal to noise ratios, etc. Aside from the obvious the C2500/2600/2700 all have DACs implemented, the C22 reissue, C70 Anniversary and C22 MkV are all analog, with no DAC ~ hence no obsolescence when it comes to that area and I think the all analog units will have a better resale value compared to those with DACs.

The C22 Reissue, is the genuine replacement of the venerable C2300 (which is still an awesome pre IMO). The C22 Reissue, being evolved from the C2300, has slightly better specs.

The C70 Anniversary and new C22 MkV are the exact same preamps as far as features, specs and button layouts. The only difference is that the C22 MkV has a combination of C22 Reissue styling and the C70 color scheme. Basically it's like a combination of both as far as looks are concerned and I think it was a good choice because it still carries the retro look of the C22 Original/C22 Reissue, but color scheme of more modern Mac components, thus will fit better with newer Mac gear IMO.

There are some features from the previous C22 Reissue that aren't carried over to the newer C22 MkV such as the (1) "loudness button" and (2) the "L or R to both, reverse stereo feature" (which some people will miss). I particularly like the loudness button and wish they would have kept it. But the good news is that the new C22 MkV costs $1000 less, while being the exact same preamp as the C70 (albeit aesthetic styling changes).

Hope this helps a bit ...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    SinnerSaint, Clay B and snorker like this.
  3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have compared the analogue functions of the c2700 with the c2600, which I own, and the only difference had to do with the tubes used, Gold Lion in my C2600 vs. stock (made by JJ) in C2700.
    I preferred my C2600 but I believe that with the same tubes there were no sonic differences between the two.

beowulf and snorker like this.
  4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I think the difference between the C2600 and C2700 is that the latter has the replaceable DAC module for later upgrades. They otherwise appear to be the same.

I liked that the previous C22 had the mono/stereo mode selector and the loudness button, but the new C22MkV looks like a pretty good deal. There are still some C70s around if one cares about getting an “anniversary” model, but as @beowulf pointed out, it is otherwise the same as the new C22, but with a different face plate, and at a higher price.

I would guess the C22/C70 are also pretty similar in sound to the C2600/C2700, though there may be some minor differences in the specs. I think the real change comes once you get to the C1100.

beowulf and 5-String like this.
  5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Just being pedantic here, but the mono/stereo button is still present on the C22 MkV (it is the second rocker switch from the left). But, the loudness button and reverse stereo polarization are missing from the new design.
    [​IMG]

I'd have to agree with your assessment that the C2500/2600/2700/C22 Reissue/C70 Anniversary/C22 MkV will most likely all sound fairly similar (all being evolved from the C2300) and it wouldn't be until one jumps up to the C1100 where some of the biggest differences may be heard. That would be cool to do a shootout between a new C2700, C22 MkV and C1100.

5-String and snorker like this.
  6. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Speaking of shootouts, here's some comparisons of the C70 (which would be the same pre as the C22 MkV) and C2700 done by audio excellence.

SinnerSaint and Philo Beddoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.