Differences btwn Wharfedale 10.7/230 and Q Acoustics 3050

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by iworkatinitech, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident Thread Starter

I apologize for starting another thread on speakers but I've been researching these different models for ages now and I still cannot figure out what the true differences are...sadly there's no hifi stores near me to audition so I'm stuck going off of strictly research and reading other peoples experiences. I know audio quality is in the ear of the beholder but I know I'll see a difference from my crappy 25+ y/o bookshelf speakers and would like these to be sort of end-game as my wife will not likely give me another shot at this.

These speakers are effectively my price range, and while I've read numerous times that used is the way to get a better bang for your buck, I can't seem to find anything worth a heck of beans on CL, and USAM appears to be more expensive than new speakers...

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Did you compare specs? The best you can probably do is buy the speakers somewhere that has a generous return policy, and return them if you don't like them. That's pretty much where most of us are at these days. In my area, it's either super high end stuff, home theater, or whatever Best Buy has so I buy most gear online. Good luck.

iworkatinitech likes this.
  3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Good return policies: Amazon sells the Q's, and MusicDirect sells Wharfs

iworkatinitech and patient_ot like this.
  4. iworkatinitech

Yeah I thinking wharfedale 10.7 via Amazon (actually sold by MD)...can anyone comment on what they think of them?

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wish I could. I have the 10.2s which are the bookshelf version. I like them a lot for speakers in the price range. Note that this generation of speakers from Wharf are rear ported. Later they switched to downward ports so you could put the speakers closer to the wall. Avoid rear ports if the speakers can't be at least 1 foot away from the wall.

6. iworkatinitech

So then the 230 is the better play as I would likely keep them close to the wall...I have young kids so it’s not a true “adult” living room

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep, I looked at the pics and the 230s are bottom ported like the bookshelf analog. Also, you probably want to keep the grilles on when you listen if kids are a concern.

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What sort of sonic traits do you like (or dislike) in a speaker? ...

9. iworkatinitech

I listen to post rock most frequently but also trip hop and Radiohead and the like...

I’d like to not need a subwoofer and would love a good soundstage and clarity...essentially I’m veruca salt (I want it all and I want it now) ;)

10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I own them and like them. The only warning I can give you - they are rear-ported, so you must have them placed out from the wall, otherwise they will give you bass boom. So, consider your room size/configuration, as they will not sound good placed close to the wall or in the corner.

11. iworkatinitech

With that in mind then I wonder if the Wharfedale 230 would be the better choice as it is not rear ported...in my room I think I can go about 1 foot out from the wall without the speakers being "in the way."

12. Benzion

I have not heard the 230's, but based on the porting consideration alone, they sound like a better choice. 1 foot would not be enough - I have mine out by 2 feet, and I wish I could add another foot to that. With bottom porting, keep in mind you need at least a 1/4 inch (or more) opening at the bottom, otherwise it winds up being a closed box. And no carpet underneath, or you will need longer spikes to keep that opening.

13. iworkatinitech

Oh man, so I have low pile carpeting where I would be placing these...I think I can get close to a foot out from the wall but now if the downward porting will be affected negatively by the carpet I'm totally screwed...

14. Benzion

I think you're in luck.

[​IMG]

They have the bottom port opening built in - see the gap between the actual speaker and the bottom panel with feet. This, I think, is the port opening. Just send an email to MusicDirect for reassurance, or even to Wharfedale themselves - they'd replied to me in the past.

patient_ot and iworkatinitech like this.
  15. iworkatinitech

Thanks Benzion! You rock!!

Benzion and patient_ot like this.
  16. iworkatinitech

So no response at all from Music Direct. As an aside how would PSB x1T stack up?

17. Benzion

OK, want something done - do it yourself. Here goes.

I went on Wharfedale's website, downloaded their brochure, and simply read it. Here's a quote:

"Slot-loaded Distributed Port Exiting at the base of the speaker cabinet, the reflex port is loaded by a slot created by the plinth. This equalises the air pressure to mimic that inside the cabinet allowing smooth transition between the pressure variation in the cabinet and the low frequency sound developed in the room"

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Diamond-200-Brochure-low-80802.pdf

Scroll down, read, and see photos, including cut-outs.

In short - the answer is yes. The bottom slot is the opening for your bass port. You're safe.

18. David M.

David M. Well-Known Member

I just bought a pair of 225s. They’re stand-mounted, yes, but the sonics should be similar. Absolutely love them so far and would definitely buy them again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.