"Dig It" (on Let it Be)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

My favorite is the slane remix to satisfy Mr. McCartney's memo :D

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

Thanks Mike :)

Mike Visco likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The leaked versions are from the Nagras. As it was also recorded to multitrack (used for released snippet and longer excerpt on Johns' mix), it should be possible to mix from those in a way to minimize or perhaps even eliminate Heather. And at least Paul would be more likely to go along with that than Yoko would on the tracks where she similarly "collaborates"

4. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Just gave a listen to both Anthology 3 and 1970 Spector versions and Billy definitely IS present on both mixes.
    As slane mentioned he used different sound on 26th. Electric piano (Fender?) with tremolo. It's mixed very low on the Spector produced version but it is there too!

Ondra

slane and Arnold Grove like this.
  5. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

it is probably a bit of neither and both, Matt Busby was a household name across the country ( ok yes, as a result of the press becoming and remaining Man U obsessed since Munich ) and had been for many years before the song and remains so to this day to many of a certain age and thats nothing to do with being a Man U supporter ( which i am not ). Busby was that famous just as George Best was or Beckham remains or Bill Shankly became ( he was at the time slightly less of a household name than Busby but has probably become as much so since ). IMHO he got a name check simply because Busby was such a UK household name.

6. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Yes, I know.

muffmasterh likes this.
  7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Indeed, and ever since I read Revolution In The Head and actually listened to "The Long And Winding Road" and hearing those 'mistakes', they stick out like a sore thumb now. To be fair, I've heard worse bass playing in my day, but MacDonald's "amounts to sabotage when presented as finished work" comments are a bit over the top IMO.

slane likes this.
  8. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Never liked DIG IT. A complete waste of space on the lp.

9. muffmasterh

not exactly much space though ...

andrewskyDE and Colocally like this.
  10. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, what else could they have done with that 5o seconds?
    :confused:

andrewskyDE, Drifter and muffmasterh like this.
  11. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

They could have done Her Majesty. Twice. :eek:

muffmasterh likes this.
  12. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I dig "Dig It." It speaks to an era ...

13. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

It speaks to an ear.

DTK likes this.
  14. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]
    Question about Across the Universe:

Who had the idea to even include this song in the Let It Be album? The song was originally recorded in February 1968. John was unhappy with the result, but he still decided to give it to the World Wildlife benefit album---which after many delays came out in late 1969. Now, I know that John briefly tried it out at Twickenham (I don't think that the band tracked it during the sessions at Apple Studio). But was the decision SOLELY because Michael Lindsay-Hogg included that brief snippet of film with the song, or did John suddenly decide that he wanted that song included on the album? I mean, there were a bunch of songs, like Suzy Parker and Maxwell Silver's Hammer, included in the film that were NOT on the LP---so who said "let's include Across The Universe on the LP"?[/QUOTE]

I definitely recall reading that the decision to resurrect this song was due solely to the the fact that John had very little that was worthwhile to contribute to the project. I even recall mention that they had to have an office assistant bring a copy of the lyrics over to Twickenham.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Pretty much because it was shown performed in the film, not unlike "I Me Mine". I would imagine the same rule would apply to, say, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" had it not come out on Abbey Road.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  16. slane

slane Forum Resident

An acetate of the 1968 version is brought in, heard on the Nagras.

seacliffe301 and Onder like this.
  17. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Thankfully.:D

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, I like the short edit just fine and I see why they didn't include the full version.

DTK likes this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The full version is just about unlistenable due to Heather's bleeting and Paul's annoying vocal.

20. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident

Here's a better and perhaps more controversial question, which ties into the discussion in general:
    Do you guys consider Let it Be a "canon" Beatles album? Or is it more like, say, to use an analogy, The Silmarillion in Tolkien's canon: Since it came out after the 'death' of the author(s), it's canonical status is unclear?

applejam101 likes this.
  21. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely canon, yes.

vegafleet, PhoffiFozz and noahjld like this.
  22. muffmasterh

yes Canon as flawed as it is and the fact that with the right treatment it could have been so much better, it is still canon.

23. Terry

Terry Senior Member

No.

24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Oh man, that's good!

Lostchord and PIGGIES like this.
  25. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

45 Seconds?????:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.