Digital convenience in one box. Is there a respectable "jack of all trades" for <$3k?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aunitedlemon, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

@aunitedlemon Sorry, disregard this. It looks like the RS250 has BlueTooth A2DP built in so you wouldn’t need an external reciever.

felvis likes this.
  2. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith. Thread Starter

Are you sure the RS250 can receive music via a Bluetooth connection? After looking over the manual I only see mention of the included remote control being Bluetooth and no mention of pairing a separate Bluetooth device? Any RS250 users able to verify whether you can or can't send music to it from a phone, tablet, laptop, etc via Bluetooth?

3. vinylscuz

vinylscuz Forum Resident

Great input! When I saw this thread title, that's exactly what I was going to say!

jusbe, aunitedlemon and TarnishedEars like this.
  4. Harris11235

I saw that it’s listed under “Network Connection” in the stats on their website

HiFi ROSE

This review says it “takes Bluetooth 4.0”.

HiFi Rose RS250 Streaming DAC - HiFi and Music Source

It implies that it should work for Bluetooth audio, but I agree that it’s murky. By all accounts its a well thought out product and it seems likely that it would be included.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

unless you need the ability to rip directly to it via it’s optical drive, i would take a Node over the vault. You can connect an external drive to the node or serve the files from the PC. Take the extra savings to upgrade the DAC, but the DAC on the Node is surprisingly good

aunitedlemon likes this.
  6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Donno about the others or if it will do everything you want, but I’m using the Innuos ZENmini. I do have external Topping D90SE DAC. Never tried the internal DAC …

New version has SSD. Mine has 2TB HDD. I might trade it in sometime … they seem to imply it can be upgraded, hopefully for difference in cost? We’ll see.

I subscribed to Qobuz, use the Innuos OS to run it all. Excellent to me anyway.

mreeter and aunitedlemon like this.
  7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This all in one NAD may get you to where you want to be. The only downside is that there is no phono input so you’ll need to invest in a separate phono amp to listen to vinyl.

NAD Masters Series M10 V2

8. I’m not sure of the price point in the USA but I use an Auralic G1 Altair and think that it may meet your requirements. I use the internal DAC and found I liked it more than my Chord Qutest (which is very good). Their Lightning DS app works well although I’m currently trying Roon. I’ve had the Altair for about 18 months and have had no regrets.
    Good luck with your search.

Toneh likes this.
  9. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Since this seems to have inevitably drifted into the Roon space, I will add that there is a growing body of MOON MiND 2 users locally (at least) who have found that they get better sound quality simply by using the MiND products without Roon. I have never got around to trying Roon myself but these messages have come from other customers of the shop that I use and I have no reason to doubt them. I have no doubt that the Roon interface and information system will be better but that interests me less and I do not really want the bother of having other elements in my system.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the MOON MiND 2 streaming unit is common to all of their products that provide a streaming function including the aforementioned MOON 280D, the MOON 680D and MOON 780D DACs and others; it is essentially an internal factory-fit, dealer-upgradeable, plug-in component. It is also available as a standalone unit called, confusingly, the MOON MiND 2.

For the avoidance of doubt, until recently I had the MOON 360D CD player and the 280D DAC/Streamer, which was a terrific combination. Recently I took the opportunity to upgrade to the MOON 650D DAC/Transport, which is a massive step up in SQ (and financially), but I no longer needed the 280D with its DAC function so I traded that in for MOON MiND 2 streamer (box). I offer this simply so that you can see that I have very direct experience with the MOON 280D; IIRC it was in my system for about three years (or just over) and if I have one criticism of it that would be that it was so good that it set my curious streak running and I got to thinking that if I could get this level of SQ for £3k what could I get from higher end MOON products (I have not been disappointed).

aunitedlemon likes this.
  10. aunitedlemon

I'd forgotten about the Innuos. Thanks for bringing that to the discussion. I like the asymmetric front panel. It doesn't appear to support bluetooth but it seems nothing is going to do everything.

Rick58 likes this.
  11. aunitedlemon

Thanks for this suggestion. It's a bit outside of where I'm aiming as I don't need an amplifier. Pretty cool that it comes w/ a calibrated mic to use w/ the Dirac Live room eq.

12. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

If you don't do SACD, Marantz's ND8006 is a less expensive version that just plays regular CDs.

13. aunitedlemon

This looks like a solid option too. Pricing here is $3,649 w/ 2TB of storage. Thanks for the suggestion!

14. aunitedlemon

Good call. The ND8006 looks to be pretty comprehensive. Thanks for the head's up!

15. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I have had Auralic streamers since the original Aries and found them well designed. I have never heard the Altair, though.

You might look at the Matrix Audio product line. They offer a slightly bewildering array of products with excellent DACs and streaming capabilities. It may take a few minutes to figure out which one might work for you. I'm not sure, but I think there's a comparison table on the Web site somewhere. The Element line looked great last time I was there. Sold by Apos Audio in the USA with possibility of trial and return.

I have a used Matrix mini-i Pro 3 in a secondary system. I tried it in my main system and was astounded at how good it is. That particular model is Roon only for streaming, though. The more expensive models work with Matrix's own control software, Roon, or any DLNA setup. Most (if not all) have Bluetooth.

aunitedlemon and Toneh like this.
  16. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

Thats what I do, the streaming service apps are better then the software that comes with the streamer in most cases. blueos is generally considered good software and I still find it clunky
    compared to Tidal or Spotify

17. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have had three Bluesound devices for a number of years now. Very few issues. BluOS is underrated IMO. Get one and a Schiit Bifrost 2/64. Vault plus DAC just over $2K. Need an ethernet connection for the Vault or use powerline adapters.

aunitedlemon and Rick58 like this.
  18. vinylscuz

vinylscuz Forum Resident

Hi. You gave me a like earlier. Thank you. I had targeted the 8006 for myself because I prefer vinyl and have no SACD's. It looks like Marantz is discontinuing that model. AA has none in stock with no price listed. Usually, if it's just out of stock, it's still got a price listed. Crutchfield might have a couple left, from what I can see. Great advice and "less expensive" as you said.

19. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

Hi, vinylscuz. Try Music Direct -- they have some new and a couple refurb/open box. I got one from them pretty recently, 'coz I'm in pretty much the same situation -- I have a vinyl setup, and I wanted some digital options, but I don't care enough about that side of it to go too far up the ladder (I'll probably spend as much time streaming podcasts and mid-century radio shows as I will music). I haven't had a chance to spend any real time with the 8006 yet, but from what I've checked out so far, it looks like it'll be just fine for my needs.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  20. vinylscuz

vinylscuz Forum Resident

I understand. I prefer vinyl. Qobuz and Tidal make the most sense for quality streaming along with a good DAC (as in the 8006). I have about 60 CD's that I really like and don't want to give up. I even look at older cars, pre 2018, so I can have a CD player and bring my own music. haha

21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

This is right from the RS250 webpage:

Bluetooth Remote Controller
    You can easily control the device with a dedicated Bluetooth remote controller.

22. Harris11235

Thanks Jon, it seems like there are many mentions of the Bluetooth remote control, but there aren’t any clear statements about it accepting audio over Bluetooth. @aunitedlemon will just have to get one and let us all know. :agree:

23. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Actually Harris if you scroll down to the diagram of possible hookups it shows Bluetooth there as well so seems like it's a definite yes.

aunitedlemon and Harris11235 like this.
  24. Harris11235

Oh yeah, I see that now. Good eyes!

jonwoody likes this.
  25. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

You could also add one of these to your list of options? It's a little over budget, but perhaps close enough to still be a contender?

Streamer/(very good) DAC/Balanced Outs/Bluetooth and can be configured with onboard SSD storage for those FLAC rips of yours, or you can just plug and play from your current external drive (which is what I do)
    Their control app is also quite good - at least on par with my previous experience of BlueSound's (which is quite good), only with a few added benefits. I have the previous gen "G1" model since I had the same "single box" wishlist that you do when I was considering options. You can see a review of it here if you feel so inclined.

My only wish is that it had a physical remote - purely for quick, direct volume adjustments. I find it mildly annoying having to use the app or - heaven forbid, get up and walk over :laugh: - to make volume adjustments.
    For what it's worth my previous streaming front end was a BlueSound NODE and a Topping D90SE - similar neutral sound signature to the Topping, but this does take things up a notch from there.

I also wouldn't sleep on the upthread suggestion of the Simaudio Moon 280D. That was my first consideration when I was deciding to "compress" two boxes (streamer and DAC) into one. Didn't get to try it in the end unfortunately, but it seems like a worthwhile option worth an audition.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    aunitedlemon likes this.