Dire Straits MFSL - 45rpm + SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

That description is listed on all the B2B titles and is the generic description which stems from the box collection (the albums 1978 - 1991). The first four in the box set and the individual releases will still be AAA cut by Bernie, whereas BIA and OES were digital masters prepared by Ludwig (and cut by Bellman?).

If you want the Pallas vinyl of any of the first four titles they should all be in stock at places like Elusive Disc/Acoustic SOunds/etc for $24.99 - $26.99.

richbdd01 likes this.
  2. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

And what a great SACD it is.

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's got to be better than the 20th Anniversary SACD. That's the one in my collection. Issues with the 5.1 mix: vocals blasting out of center channel. This was still so well-recorded though, originally.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

You think so? It sounds like the typical dated Sony digital recording from the 80's to me, high signal to noise ratio, but absolutely artificial sounding.

5. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

You know, I really changed my opinion of this recording, and I think I tend to agree now more with Eddie. When I first heard it, I thought it was really crystal clear, clean and dynamic sounding. Now, I think it does sound really "digital" if you can use that as an adjective. Very "sterile"..like all the life and air in the performances was sucked out. I do think this is an artifact of early digital recording and mastering. The music of course is amazing and it will always be a GREAT album, but yeah, my opinions on the sonics of it have certainly changed.

I also vowed I was done buying this album. I have an original US CD pressing, original US vinyl, the 20th anniversary SACD, the remaster CD and the MFSL SACD. The MFSL SACD is my go to, and I am not ever buying this record again.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    AnalogJ likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Fortunately for my wallet, I am not a huge DS fan. That said, I'll spring for Making Movies. I want to hear that guitar break on "Tunnel of Love" on 45 rpm vinyl.

TS582 and Myke like this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think Brothers In Arms is boring/dated sounding and dead sonically. Goes right into the audiophile darling recordings (that really isnt) that Id never listen to. Dire Straits at their most pompous excess. Thank God Mark got back to his roots at times and gained some respect back. A fine guitarist, but what an overbloated turd Brothers In Arms is.

vinylkid58 likes this.
  8. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I can't agree, remembering how much this was loved by all of us that were of college age at the time. It will always be iconic for people of that age.

Linger63 likes this.
  9. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

iconic and artistically weak can go along .

10. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

It will be years before we get all these DS MoFi titles. At least Music Direct's catalogue didn't tease us with a whole lot of other "I want it NOW" titles that will also take years to show up. "Surrealistic Pillow" SACD in mono, anyone?

Randy Goldberg likes this.
  11. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I disagree that this is artistically weak, but understand it's subjective.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  12. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

Pretty happy with my vinyl first editions! Trying not to get dragged into SACD world...trying.....

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Shipped today. :agree:

Joti Cover and signothetimes53 like this.
  14. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Well, I'll be doggoned! Fabulous!

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

The SACD pre orders are up at both Music Direct, and Acoustic Sounds. TBA right now.

I thought I'd see what filling my cart at Music Direct would look like...

They applied the 15% off code of MUSIC15 !?!?!?!?

I was able to choose my FREE method of shipping as Fed Ex Ground Home Delivery !?!?

My grand total for the 4 inc. sales tax was only $111.40 or...$27.85 each !!! :bdance:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  16. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up.
    Just ordered the four DS (vinyl) and three Ry Cooder (vinyl) and got the 15%.
    So...Merry Christmas to me.
    ...or Happy Valentine's Day...Easter?...Arbor Day?... whenever, I'm gonna get them anyway, why not?
    (may go for the Breakfast In America and Heart Like A Wheel, too...hmmm...I currently use the old MoFi BIA)

17. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

...also noticed free FedEx Ground Home for the DS order ($170) and only free Media Mail for my separate Ry order ($89.22)...

18. Myke

The more you spend, the better the free shipping becomes.

19. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Yup.
    So I gather that if the shipments are incremental, as is likely (i.e., "ship when available"), still no cost...that seems like an additional bonus.

john lennonist likes this.
  20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Does Music Direct wait to charge your credit card until pre-orders ship, or when you initially place the order? If the former (no charge until items ship), I'll load up some pre-orders and take this 15% off deal as well.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, Music Direct waits for shipment before charging our credit card.

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You can load up all you want on pre-orders but that won't get you a discount.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not true. I just preordered all of the upcoming Dire Straits MOFI SACDs from Music Direct and received the 15% discount. It worked out to $25.49 a disc for a total of $101.96 with free FedEx Ground shipping. I normally wait for importcds to buy MOFI SACDs but at 15% off and free shipping the price will be very close if not cheaper from Music Direct. Plus I'll get them much quicker :).

Myke likes this.
  24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I just gave this a try. I pre-ordered ten "Availability: TBA" SACDs from the top of their "pre-order digital" list, including the four Dire Straits titles. I was tempted to do a "mega-order" of every single pre-order TBA MFSL SACD in their system, because I basically collect them all at this point, but I held back because:

My receipt shows that free shipping was applied and 15% off was applied. My uncertainty/concern is how these pre-orders will be fulfilled, and if the 15% off and/or free shipping will "disappear" at the time of shipping, when it's too late for me to make adjustments or cancel the order.

Does anyone have experience with how Music Direct handles this sort of situation? I don't want to pre-order 10 SACDs with these discounts/promos, only to receive up to ten smaller packages (as each title is gradually released over the next few years) at full price plus a charge for shipping cost of each small package....

Craig.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Music Direct will hold some discs if you request this option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.