Dire Straits - MFSL SACD - Sound Quality Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 30, 2019.

1. HumbleBy

HumbleBy Forum Resident

I just ordered all the Dire Straits MoFI SACDs from a Danish retailer, which unfortunately cannot deliver until end of November.
    I have all the SHM-SACDs, and have listened to them extensively over the years, so am very anxious to listen to the MoFi versions and make a comparison,

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I had a look at Dynamic Range Database, the SHM-SACD of Making Movies has better dynamic range than any other release of this album...better than original Lp, better than blu swirl CD. How can that be? It is impossible to add more dynamic range to a master tape.
    Ok, that is why I hear excellent micro dynamics on the Jpn SACD, much better than CD versions.

ispace and OptimisticGoat like this.
  3. Jedburgh

Jedburgh Forum Resident

Mine are delivered by FedEx directly from MoFi and will arrive in Copenhagen this afternoon, not sure yet what will be the cost for VAT and handling - cant wait to compare with my other versions on SHM, MQA and redbook...

Linger63 likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks Dave, that Communique is all i'm missing.

Dave likes this.
  5. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

I'm really excited for these. It will be tough to beat the original WG Vertigo discs.

6. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

EQ can have an effect on dynamic range, either adding or taking away.

Plan9 and Anonamemouse like this.
  7. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Oki. Not known to me.
    But in case of Making Movies jpn SACD, it is a flat transfer.

8. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

The original, true master tape can have more dynamics than any version released. Take for example Supertramp’s Crime Of The Century, where the original 70’s vinyl and early CDs were DR13, and where MFSL released a gold disc with DR16. o_O

Jarleboy and ispace like this.
  9. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes. You know that "do not use" masters ;) I love the tape that was used for the MFSL Gold CD. My wish dream for a SACD release...

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

This ^^

11. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I can't wait to give my new hybrids from MoFi a whirl.

12. jirie123

jirie123 Forum Resident

I am really curious who will be the very first reviewer :agree:

13. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Just received LOG and MM on my doorstep minutes ago. All tube system, FYI. And my only other copies of these 2 titles are US vinyl pressings. First, quick impressions

Played Telegraph Road from LOG first. Very smooth sounding, nice warmth, but no loss of detail. I thought it absolutely wonderful on first listen - strikes just the right balance.

Just put on MM. Tunnel of Love just finished. Also great sounding. Little more forward than what I heard on Telegraph Road, but a whole different song, so any comparison at this point is pointless. What I can say is that there is no shrillness at all on my system. In fact, the gentle picking and singing at around the 5:45 mark has the prefect soft nuance to it. Great range up and down. I never heard the SHM but this isn't bright at all - really nice overall tonal balance, good bass and detailed guitar. Romeo and Juliet playing now. Sounding just great!

I'm sure there'll be lot more to say as these get a lot of play this weekend but I'm loving these releases already!

Bananas&blow, Ere, Zafu and 18 others like this.
  14. jirie123

jirie123 Forum Resident

Thak you a lot for the first look :wave:

15. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Very welcome. You know there will be an avalanche of contradictory opinions in the coming days!

But I just finished the whole MM disc and Mofi got it right this time, imo. Rocks out at all the right moments with no fatigue. Even found I enjoyed Les Boys which is, by far, my least favorite track in the record. But the guitar work/tone was right on.

Jarleboy, Dignan2000, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Less bottom end could be one reason...

Nevertheless a DR difference of 1 is insignificant. It could be a fraction of 1 for all you know due to rounding error.

Plan9, dobyblue and agentalbert like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is who did the mastering listed in the booklets of the MOFI SACDs?

18. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Inside cover of MM says mastered by Shawn R. Britton. LOG says mastered by Rob LoVerde, assisted by Shawn R. Britton.

19. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Just sat down and closed my eyes and gave LOG a careful listen. Eager to hear others' thoughts (and shocked that this thread isn't yet filled with at least some first impressions) but I have to say WOW!

One of my favorite parts of Telegraph Road is Clark's keyboard work before Knopfler takes over about halfway through and just slays it. The piano tone and clarity was absolutely beautiful. Great separation. The interplay between instruments - bass, marimba, drums, guitar - that starts about the 4 minute mark of Private Investigations and continues to the end was stunning, as was the delicate opening of Love Over Gold. My only minor criticism was I wished they had pushed the vocals a little more out front for the first few minutes of It Never Rains, but it picks up steam halfway through.

I've bought a boatload of music tin 2019, but this might have been my most enjoyable listening session all year. Can't wait to get my hands on the 45 LP and play it through my new Modwright PH 9.0!

OK, now I'll shut up and let others weigh in on these SACDS (until my other 2 come in, that is :D)!

Jarleboy, Kyhl, Rob Hughes and 12 others like this.
  20. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Amazon won't be getting these until Nov. 15, but I'll be patient. Got loads of needledrops to make & edit until then.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you!

George P likes this.
  22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I don’t own any CDs or SACDs at all of Dire Straits... I was going to grab some a few years back but was waiting for these and figured I could just play my old albums... REALLY thankful for the reviews so far and excited to check these out. Keep those opinions coming!

23. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Well. I couldn’t wait until the weekend to get a listen to these discs and played Love Over Gold late last night. I confess that this may not be a helpful quick review as I won’t be able to qualify or quantify and compare different versions as I only have a old LP of this which I haven’t listened since its release and not many times at that, so my familiarity with it is limited. Hence the choice to give it the first listen. In transparency, I admit that this is my least favorite album from Dire Straits so my bias here is noted.

Also, I listened to this through headphones ( Massdrop HD-6XX via Oppo BDP-105).

This first listen was a revelation. I can relate to what others have reported about how Steve Wilson’s remixes of certain Jethro Tull remixes have given them a renewed appreciation of them. I will say that has happened to me here. I admit this disc sucked me in and immersed me into the music deeply.

Again, this is not a comparison to other versions, not a this is better than that one, this is just an initial first time listening experience.

The first thing I noticed was how clear and detailed it was. It sounded really good to my ears. The bass was tight and not bloated. The drums had boom and bottom. Instruments were separated and not tangled together. It had good depth and at times an expanded soundstage. My only critique was Knoffler’s vocals are set a little too far back in the mix on the opening track and sounds more up front in Industries Disease, which is my preference.

Again, I am not a good critic for this particular disc, and I won’t be helpful to others that are more critical to the mastering or have more revealing systems, but on first listen I will say I like and thoroughly enjoyed this disc. No regrets for me. I actually look forward to spending many many hours listening to these discs. I am a big fan of the band and hope others here will leave feedback both positive and negative. Thanks!

Jarleboy, Gardo, Dignan2000 and 12 others like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks for the reviews guys. Helpful, as i'm not sure I want to invest in re-buying these again :laugh:

Joti Cover and PH416156 like this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks a lot! I am very curious to find out who mastered the other two.