Dirt accumulating on stylus after record cleaning

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dorer, Nov 6, 2022.

1. dorer

dorer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi
    it's about a 1-2 month I noticed that after cleaning a record the stylus accumulates some dirt (before the clean that doesn't happen). It's very annoying, since that dirt is hard to remove from the stylus (also with a gel), it seems a bit sticky. I noticed this problem is systematic, it doesn't depend by specific vinyls, now it happens for all the records I clean.

I've cleaned a lot of records in years and this never happened, I don't know what the hell is happening.

My cleaning process: I use this kit following their instructions. So, I place the vinyl on a microfiber cloth, spray 3 times the liquid, waiting for 30 seconds, with the other microfiber cloth I made 5-6 complete rotations counterclockwise, then 2-3 rinses (spraying distilled water on the record, then same counterclockwise rotations with the same microfiber cloth). Repeat the same for the other side. Then put it on a stand to dry for 1-2 hours.

Then I have to play the records 1-2-3 times to (apparently) remove the dirt, very annoying. This what happens after 1 playing:

[​IMG]

After the next playings the accumulated dirt is reducing.

I really don't know what's the problem, I could say something is wrong with
    - the fluid: expired? but I bought in 2020
    - or the microfiber cloth: worn? but I used for near 20 records. I never washed it, it could be this the cause?

Really don't know, I hope someone could help! Thanks

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  2. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Ditch the cleaning solution and just use the distilled water. I have a similar cleaning regime to you by the sounds of it, but I don't bother with cleaning solution. I commented on another post recently regarding it. I've been doing my method for over 40 years and it WORKS !

CatManDude and Texado like this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yeah, clearly that cleaning kit doesnt work. No spray and wipe method Ive heard of is worth your time.

Stop using it and dont "clean" any records until you have something like a Spinclean or RCM unit like the Record Doctor which is the cheapest I know of.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Based on your description you are getting the results I’d expect. This is what’s known as an “ineffective cleaning method.”

5. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

The initial outlay might seem high, but a Record Doctor cleaning machine is the way to go. In this case, I do use their recommended liquid, and a couple of other brushes I’ve purchased. You clean first, then flip over the record, turn on the vacuum, and let gravity do its things, about 4-5 rotations, then reverse. Very clean, put the record in a new sleeve, and you’ll seldom need to clean that record again, and your stylus will seldom if ever have gunk on it. I think your cloth is leaving fibers on your record.

jim249 and Westerwick like this.
  6. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

What you explain is not a cleaning process. It simply spreads dirt all over LP. The only thing that really works is ultrasonic cleaning, better with vacuum drying process. Also do not forget to swipe LP with brush before each playback.

Westerwick likes this.
  7. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Ditch the MF rag
    Get a brush or 2
    I like the AT, cleaner on 1 side, then slowly rotate to dry.

the sharp grooves rip fiber off the rag
    What color is you rag?

[​IMG]

8. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

You may want read the ingredient list on the back of bottle. Audio Technica™ AT-6012 brush/kit originally was nothing more than IPA+DIW. New regulations have made labeling and shipment of 'flammable fluids' difficult, so they shifted to an alcohol-free (non-flammable) detergent/surfactant-based cleaner that should be rinsed otherwise say hello to residue. You may not see it at first, but every time you use it a thin layer of residue is left behind unless you rinse. So, after time, the residue builds up and once that happens a full-wet clean is pretty much the only way to clean the record.

9. Ingenieur

I Noticed that.
    I mix it now.
    1 bottle to 5 parts IPA (91%) + 5 parts DW
    Seems to remove all of it. One of their bottle full of the mixture lasts months, perhaps 250-350 lps.
    I only use a drop or 2 per lp

the residue was 'gummy'

The brush is nice.

10. dorer

It's orange.

That AT kit should spreads dirt all over, as someone says above...?

11. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

For simple wipe cleaning that you are doing, 'natural' alcohol-free cleaners sound safe, but they can be a combination of detergents/surfactants that are not really suited to the cloth wipe cleaning process; especially if using the same cloth for drying after rinsing. As you note, you have all kinds of detritus which can be from cleaner residue, cleaner residue from the cloth which you used to dry the distilled water rinse. Being in Europe you may find this to be of help for a low-cost effective record cleaning method: VINYL CLEANING GUIDE PT. 1: MANUAL METHOD - The Audiophile Man;

Tommyboy likes this.
  12. Ingenieur

The stuff on the stylus is orange.

He was saying the new cleaning fluid formulation has 'soap' in it, it leaves a residue. I dilute it with DW and IPA.

Even without dilution the residue is small, but does accumulate. But 1 bottle should do 100's of lp's, and most is wiped off if you use the brush correctly.
    But no doubt, a small % is left behind.

The brush doesn't shed.

dorer likes this.
  13. dorer

Thanks all guys, you've various discordant opinions.
    Recap:
    - microfiber leaves fibers in the grooves
    - cloth or brush spread dirt all over
    - cleaning fluid leaves residues on the record unless I vacuum it

Then, from your answers I deduct to stop cleaning records until I have a machine to vacuum, right? Since I don't buy it, I simply stop cleaning?

jerico likes this.
  14. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

What is the final volume? A 50:50 mix of IPA & DIW is a decent cleaner in itself. It will easily wet the record and has some solvency for cleaning. Dilute the detergent too much and it does nothing other than leave residue. What's too much, to a clue without knowing the actual concentration of the detergent cleaner.

15. Ingenieur

basically a quart
    1/2 IPA, ~ 16 Oz
    2 Oz AT fluid
    Fill with DW, ~14 Oz
    But eyeballed, not measured, lol
    Actually more diluted than I thought

I have 2 bottles of AT left
    I may go to IPA/DW
    In 5-10 years lol

The results are good
    Quiet, no stylus build up (using a jewelers loupe)

16. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

No - as I said - Being in Europe you may find this to be of help for a low-cost effective record cleaning method: VINYL CLEANING GUIDE PT. 1: MANUAL METHOD - The Audiophile Man; This method does not involve a vacuum-RCM.

Otherwise, the well-designed brushes such as the Audio Technica™ AT-6012 brush can work to some degree. Using just a simple IPA+DIW cleaning solution and wetting the record and brushing with the brush leading edge and drying with the trailing edge can work to some degree. The brush will some-what penetrate the groove absorbing soil and picking up debris/particles and the trailing edge picks up what was missed and the IPA+DIW will quickly evaporate. You will need to periodically clean the brush because it just like the MF-cloths will get dirty after cleaning X number of records. However, there are limits to how well this will work and can easily be challenged by used records.

The most effective record cleaning processes are full-wet processes. Vacuum-RCM only makes it convenient. But there are many opinions and ways to clean a record. However, if you wish to explore this is far more detail this book is free - Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records-3rd Edition - The Vinyl Press. However, not saying you need to read or even use any method in the book to clean records - it's just a source of info to use or dismiss as you see fit.

dorer and Ingenieur like this.
  17. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

At that dilution there is not much left of the AT Fluid understanding that it is most likely already diluted to 5% and more could be 1%. Even if it's a 5% solution, by the time you are done diluting, it's not doing anything (0.05%)(2oz)/32oz = 0.003125% = ~31 ppm. At this 'likely' concentration, residue left behind is below audible and visible.

Ingenieur likes this.
  18. Ingenieur

Thanks
    Straight it did leave a film, gummy.
    Now, nothing.
    I wash the brush every few weeks, warm water, worked with a soft brush, then rinse with IPA/DW, shake off excess, air dry.

I got some stuff called Boundless as a gift. It is terrible imo. Massive film.

[​IMG]

19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yes. If this is all you got, might as well not clean at all, because its probably making the records dirtier if anything.

20. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

The Boundless leaves me speechless. The propylene glycol is not really a cleaning agent - it's used as a stabilizer to keep other stuff in solution. The DMDM is an anti-bacterial that works by slowly releasing formaldehyde Does DMDM hydantoin really cause hair loss? Here’s what you need to know | Environmental Working Group (ewg.org) and the Stearyl Phosphate is an anionic surfactant. The stuff sounds like it started as a shampoo.

Dignan2000 and Ingenieur like this.
  21. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

If you do not want to get US machine, you can try to wash LP under running water from sink, use dishwasher detergent and brush made from horse hair. After cleaning, rinse it in distilled water, then let dry. If you do not have way to do vacuum suction for cleaning, place wet LP between two shots of microfibre cloth, but do not wipe. Cloth will suck most water, then let LP to dry on air. That process worked for me until I bought US machine.

dorer and Westerwick like this.
  22. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Shampoo that apparently makes your hair fall out.

23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The cleaning materials is causing the dirt. Buy an ultrasonic cleaner.

sound chaser and Nakamichi like this.
  24. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Get one of the many Spin Clean variants. I prefer the Disco Antistat as it has brushes rather than tight velvet pads. Use one of the various cleaning solutions, whether homemade or commercial.

Always, always do a rinse (in a second Spin Clean if you can stretch that far) with distilled water. I've found this part to be just as important as the first. If not more so.

Air dry on a rack (it takes three hours) and do not rub the records with any fabrics in an attempt to speed up the drying process.

That's about as simply as I can put it. With tricky records you can try repeat cleanings but after a few attempts you have to accept the record as it is.

25. dorer

Thanks, this one sounds as the most human and reasonable way, to me.

IPA is pure alcool? and DIW is Distilled (I?) Water? In ratio 1:1? You avoid to add cleaning fluid to avoid residuals?

After cleaning a record, I should clean the brush, otherwise it leaves residuals on the next record I'll clean? The records I have to clean are little dirty, nothing exaggerated

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022