Discogs: Leave negative feedback or give seller a chance to make it right?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TwiceFan, May 11, 2022.

1. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

True, I have one or two guys who are completely spot on, but between the last two I've bought from and the 3 who replied back to me on the Marvin Gaye disc I feel I'm just better off with Ebay where I've really only ever had an issue with condition and ZERO issues with pressing variants. Especially when it's something as simple as a Japan pressing versus a BMG club pressing.

2. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Haha, I’ve definitely had a worse time on eBay, go figure

Dave, astro70 and Duke Fame like this.
  3. Duke Fame

Yeah, condition I could see being an issue on ebay, but if pictures are posted you at least avoid the crap I've been dealing with on Discogs as far as a Japan pressing versus a garden variety club pressing.

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I think sometimes it is that that seller is play grading with a micro line or similar high end stylus and the buyer is listening with an elliptical that picks up more of the imperfections?

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What you are describing is basically a submission error. If the 1A and 1C are different (in terms of year, plant, mastering engineer, etc) then they should be separate.

However, you might have 1A and 1C matrix details that are just variants as everything else is the same (year, plant, label, cover, engineer). In which case, they belong in the same submission. No one should be thinking Discogs files submission by mastering alone.

Discogs is not an audiophile centred database that bases their entries on mastering alone. No one should be using it like that, so for anyone looking for a specific variant, you need to ask if the entry has several.

As for sellers not responding...sellers always complain that when they do, people never follow through with a purchase. So a lot of them don't bother. Why spend the time when someone else won't ask and will just buy, eventually, anyway?

6. FuzzyNightmares

Well shoot, just ran into my first one of these situations… I don’t feel bad calling out strangers on eBay or Discogs, but this is a little different. Meep.

I’m also over here feeling bad that the VU & nico I sent you wasn’t properly vetted by myself and I went by the shop grading from where I purchased it haha

astro70 likes this.
  7. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Don’t worry about it! It’s honestly pretty roached on side 2 and skips during Black Angel’s Death Song, but was worth it to me to hear a west coast copy with that volume increase. I like to collect the early peelable copies anyway regardless of condition, because after-all, they’re 60s warhol prints :D

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  8. FuzzyNightmares

Of course I wasn’t there long enough to demo side 2 at all :doh:

astro70 likes this.
  9. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

I don't know about the refund, that goes well beyond site policies and has mostly to do with one's own personal attitudes and values. But yes, grade negatively, do not even think about it.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why, oh why, is it so difficult to understand that it's *people* who lost stuff and not the platform and therefore inaccuracies are the responsibility of individual sellers?

The platform provides a service. What happens on it is up to buyers and sellers.

Ask questions and use logic to weed out the bad sellers from the good ones.

Lost In The Flood and TwiceFan like this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

D'oh! That should be "list". Damn autocorrect! :laugh:

Dave likes this.
  12. Duke Fame

The people make the platform. Therefore.....................

13. Strat-Mangler

That's a very simplistic way of thinking, DF.

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Lightest of whispily whispering angel hairlines with full gloss aside from a few light mars and gouges typical for a well loved record of this age. Would be NM--/VG++++++++++++++ if not for a smallish chunk missing (not pictured) if not better!!!!! Full vinyl richness when played in instances when the analog goodness is audible over kind of a sixties gravel driveway that always reminded me of home and our 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 when Beatlemania was at its peak! Don't expect to get this warm, rich liquidy "messed-up-my-debonair-white-slacks" analog experience out of any CD at any price. 100% money back guarantee on virtually all Discogs' sellers new records.

[​IMG]

15. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Outstanding!

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Be sure to ask for the 100% optional money back guarantee when purchasing records from any other Discogs seller! Buy with confidence and remember clicks, ticks, pops, whooshes, IGD, dirt, dirt and gravel, molds, smells, old weed, seeds, cup rings, jumping arms, bug parts, a random pube, kitty fur and pizza grease are all vital parts of the full vinyl experience.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  17. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

Just send it back for a full refund. Done. Easy.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I always make sure to ask for any pubes that get stuck in the packing tape to be covered up.

19. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Curious to see what people think of this situation.

- I ordered four CDs from one Discogs seller on 23 December.

- No acknowledgment or status update given from seller.

- On 4 January, I sent a message stating "Hi there. If this order hasn't shipped yet then could I add another CD to it without incurring a separate postage charge? Artist X, Title Y. Let me know and I can put through a separate order. If the order has already shipped then no problem. Thanks.". No reply from seller to this message.

- On 11 January, I sent a message stating "Hi there - just wondering if order has shipped yet? Thanks." No reply from seller to this message.

- On 16 January, seller updates order status to shipped.

- On 29 January, items arrive. Packaged ok and play fine.

I decided to leave positive but factual feedback.

"Items arrived as described.
    Order made 23/12, shipped 16/01 & arrived 29/01.
    On 04/01, I enquired re adding one CD to order - no reply.
    On 11/01, I asked if order shipped - no reply.
    Seller has good inventory but I would not buy from him again."

Does that sound reasonable or was I too harsh?

Telemark likes this.
  20. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Ain't no way I'd give positive feedback to a seller who took 3 weeks to ship my order with no communication. 1 week is pushing it. I'd have left neutral feedback with the same explanation.

AaronW and astro70 like this.
  21. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Thanks Gene, I was undecided between neutral and positive but the end result was that I got the CDs I wanted and they're fine. The lack of communication was really annoying though.

I looked at his previous feedback and up to December it was 100% positive with no communication issues mentioned in the comments.

Then last week, his first negative that related to a transaction from 20 December. That feedback said
    "Order arrived after a little over 1 month. The inner jewel case hinge is broken and the wrapping was torn. Seller has been completely silent this entire time, never responding to any of my questions."

22. Semolina Pilchard

Semolina Pilchard Forum Resident

I'd say Neutral, but leave out the part about adding the extra item since it's not material and may confuse. I'd keep it to: "Items are as described, but seller took 24 days to ship and did not respond to enquiries."

Dave, nlgbbbblth and astro70 like this.