Discogs new layout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CWChrome, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I understand that some of the code on that site was held together with duct-tape and twist ties, but they could have made the page look and act more like the old one.
    There was no need for them to go the direction they did. The complaining on the Discogs forums is bad. When it's up to 6 pages here, you know they did something wrong.

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's. What. The. Filters. Are. For.

ARK, Carl Swanson, Leugi and 2 others like this.
  3. Exactly! ALSO, do people not realize that it's INFINITELY easier (and always has been, for over a decade!!) to just right-click on each album link, and open it in a new tab -- so the original page never disappears??

Maybe I've just trained myself to do this with LOTS of websites (most websites, actually) -- but it's nearly always easier to open up lots of tabs (even if it's a dozen or more), than it is to go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth (literally) whenever you want to look at multiple pages linked from one page.

Dusty Groove, for instance -- looking at the New Arrivals page, as I'm scrolling down, I just right-click on each title I want to see the details of and open it in a new tab. Maybe that's 5 items (tabs), maybe it's 15 (tabs). Either way, then I look at each tab and as soon as I'm done with it, I close it. THAT WAY THE ORIGINAL PAGE IS UNDISTURBED by my NOT having to ever go back.

I saw this whole Discogs format complaint thread, and I literally had to read through at least 4 pages before I could even understand what the issue was. If anything, the filters are a HUGE plus (I'm almost never looking for anything other than CD's) -- and the changes make the image of each release bigger and easier to identify visually (if there happen to be visual differences (which isn't always, but when you're literally "looking" for something, the old system was a lot more of a pain).

Discogs' changes are complete non-issue for me, and from what I can see, all of them are a big benefit. The only one I can see if if I happen to be looking for something using 'ctrl-f" and if I've forgotten to fully expand the list of releases first. But other than that, nothing about the changes are bad.

negative1, TheLastVoice, ARK and 3 others like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There are plenty of image hosting services including some which don't even require registering for an account.

Attachments aren't supported due to storage and bandwith considerations. It costs, according to Steve Hoffman, 5K/year to run so I can only imagine if we tacked on images that this could easily double.

5. tronds

tronds Forum Resident

Not being able to see the full release list by default irritated me that much that I wrote some quick and dirty javascript that will automatically click the "show more releases" button until the entire list is loaded. It's not for everyone, but if you know your way around your browser's Developer Tools (F12 on most browsers) you can run this script from the console. Will of course break the moment Discogs changes some of it class names/restructures the DOM, but this works as a temporary solution for me.

PHP:
    (async function() {
       var 
    loadMoreButtonClass "ui__MoreButton-sc-sa8gat-6";
       var 
    tableClass "table__TableUI-sc-nxpr31-0";

var 
    getLoadMoreButton = () => { return document.getElementsByClassName(loadMoreButtonClass)[0]; }
       var 
    getSpinner = () => { return getLoadMoreButton()?.firstChild; }
       var 
    getTable = () => { return document.getElementsByClassName(tableClass)[0]; }
       var 
    clickButton = () => { getLoadMoreButton()?.click(); }

// while the 'show more releases' button is present ...

while (getLoadMoreButton()) {

clickButton();

/*
           While the next 75 releases are loading, the button icon will show a spinner. We check
           this spinner's aria-label attribute to know if we're still loading releases.
           */

while (getSpinner()?.getAttribute("aria-label") === "loading") {

await new Promise(=> setTimeout(r500)); // sleep for 500 msec

}

console.log(getTable().rows.length);
       }

/*
       Set the linked releases to open in a new tab, so that the master release list is
       preserved when we return.
       */

for (let row of getTable().rows) {

let link row.getElementsByTagName("a")[0];

link.setAttribute("target""_blank");
       }
    })();

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

You're clear. I wouldn't. I'd immediately use the checkboxes to narrow it down to what I wanted to see. "all versions" is just the gateway.

7. Carl Swanson

Ah, I see. You were appointed spokesperson, and everyone excetp me got a vote.

OK, got it.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

So what?

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Until a few days ago, you could toggle it off. No more. It consumes more page volume and to me, requires me to open an entry to get info I thought I was getting just by the summaries in the old format, but may be wrong. The more things change, you know, the thing.

Iving likes this.
  10. Deja Doh

Deja Doh QUARANTINED

I don't find much change.

Big Blue and uzn007 like this.
  11. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

New version sucks. And the filters - well, they don't work for me on Windows 11 - base Edge with no add-ins. They work on Google Chrome on the same PC, but Chrome can hog resources so use Edge lately.

Wish they kept the old version as an option.

skisdlimit likes this.
  12. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I honestly don't think it's that bad, the visual aides are somewhat useful if you're looking for a particular pressing with a visual cue. Of course this is a big shift for users who prefer text list, I understand that, but they do need to change. "Don't fix what ain't broke" sure, but the site is really outdated and poorly laid-out. Overall this updated module looks like its had more UI attention than the usual Discogs stuff so that is a welcome change.

The real problem is they're jamming too much into the site. It's a database, a marketplace, a blog, a review site. It's really whatever they want to make money off of month to month and there hasn't been a concerted design effort to clean up the bric-a-brac of feature modules. The place is honestly a stain on the hobby and sometimes makes me long for my spreadsheet days. At least then I didn't have to look at "content" like this when I wanted to add a new album.

Big Blue likes this.
  13. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

You know, you just may have to get used to it. Change may seem absurd at first. But a wise man once said, “If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.”

andrewskyDE, dee and mr.datsun like this.
  14. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

:tiphat:

15. It's not about the change. It's a lousy design. Getting used to it doesn't make it any less lousy.

no.nine, Iving, dee and 1 other person like this.
  16. AlphabetMan

AlphabetMan Senior Member

I didn't notice there was a new layout at all, maybe I'm blind

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

honestly, I was just trying to be funny because if your quote at the bottom of each posting. I failed.

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I enjoyed it. Reminds me of Cage’s (paraphrased here) ; ‘if you’re not annoying somebody, then you’re probably not doing it right’

Discogs new design being an exception, of course:). It sucks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    ARK likes this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, but I feel they could have achieved this in a much simpler filter design. Similar to the filters they use elsewhere.

dee likes this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The real problem is that their profits are down and they’re trying to think of ways of fixing that. First the ongoing debacle over setting shipping prices and then having to add vat. Sales must have dropped. Plus the market is becoming exhausted and Discogs are of course helping that happen. Probably futile, but they must hope these UI changes will improve sales.

zombiemodernist and ARK like this.
  21. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

I went through this thread and all the time I was thinking: “what is all the fuss about? It has never been easier finding a specific version using the filters and searching within the filters’ results”. I really like this update.

If they really want to improve sales then they should add extensive filtering options to the Wantlists pages especially to the page Show Items In Marketplace. The option to block sellers has been requested for ages and I get it why they don’t want to implement that but then at least give me the option to remove their inventory from this page while browsing. Or the option in my Settings to only show items sold from certain countries (with the huge shipping costs I am hardly ever going to buy again from the US).

uzn007 likes this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Just Why?
    Why would they destroy such a beautiful thing?
    :shrug:

OptimisticGoat and Brian Lux like this.
  23. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Several people here have said the new system is great if you use the filters. But the problem with that is that if you don't know the particular parameter for this filter or that one, you reach a dead end and then have to fumble through opening multiple pages. Argh! I found it a lot easier to use the you could scroll through the whole list of album variations.

My wife likes to talk about that making lemonade out of lemons nonsense (I love her, but hate that aphorism). But OK, I'll try: From now on, I'll only take an interest in albums that have fewer than half a dozen release variations. Obscurity in music, here I come!

Iving likes this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

I am glad that works well for you and for cd's.

It's not working that well for me and searching for records. I can find a specific pressing still just typing info in the general search tab. But I'm looking for ALL the various pressings listed of the same album. Or different iterations of that album. On the same page. Because I've found quite a few 'rarer' ones or unique or interesting ones doing that. Plus, if I'm buying, I still have to click into the actual sales listing page or pages of the listed items being sold by the sellers. So, that's more windows or tabs or whatever. It can be done still but not worth my time doing so with the new format and display.

Use of the similar 'new' main filters were already inherent in a larger context on an all-inclusive single album release page. The country, year, label etc. category tabs at the top would sort the list very quickly and orderly with a simple click. You could even 'play' with the search options too and 'see' the variables in your search change easily, quickly, orderly, and not lose your place.

But just opening many more windows can also = more useage hangups with loading more info and simply more confusion in tabbing. I remember working at a computer based inc. and one of the techs there always scolding one of the managers who always had computer issues. Simply put, he reminded him every day you've got too many (profanity) windows open.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    ARK, Iving and Brian Lux like this.
  25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

This really describes what I was thinking, and describes it well and better than I could. Thank you!

Iving and dee like this.