Discogs (pay as a friend?)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by LitHum05, Jun 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

Has anyone had an international seller ask them to pay directly to their PayPal as a friend/family? I’ve already answered that I can’t do that because my purchase is not ensured. This is not someone I know, as would be the case on this forum.

At this point, I’m wondering if I should just run because there is something fishy going on. Maybe this guy wants to dump a poorly graded record on me without my having recourse to discogs’s complaint and reviews system?

What would you do? Thanks!

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Dump the sale. Also, anything other than Goods and Services here is against the rules, and should be reported to a Gort.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. LitHum05

I'm also wondering if this is more common in Europe. I haven't dealt with too many international sellers.

4. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Since when do the Gorts have anything to do with Discogs?

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You have to read all the words that are posted. :tiphat:

6. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

When it comes to any seller or buyer who insists that I to do something that is against either the rules or my interest, and in this case the Discogs seller is asking the OP to do both, I won't play along. Period. Makes life easy. Who really needs that frickin' record, anyway? Not I.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. LitHum05

I read up on this and it’s fairly common in Europe for discog sellers to charge the PayPal fee as additional (the guy I’m dealing with tried to do it off the books).

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Never use anything but Goods & Services. You otherwise forfeit any possibility of a refund in case of issues.

9. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I'll work with someone who feels this way. Last week I bought a record from a man in the Netherlands who initially refused to accept PayPal because of its fees. He wanted a wire transfer or for me to use the "friends and family" path with PayPal. After spending a day or two exploring many options, we agreed to what you suggested, increasing the amount of the purchase a few Euros to cover the fees. That's a fine solution.

Frankly, as an old retailer whose business was was over 50% credit cards, I just factor any fees into the equation when I set a price. I think that's the easiest answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.