Discogs seller refuses to help

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jenkovix, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No. The last vintage LP I bought was for my father-in-law who wanted the soundtrack to Breakfast at Tiffany's. After finding a cheap sealed mono 1st pressing, I jumped on it. It was in perfect condition, thankfully. I figured if it didn't pan out, I'd buy him a newer pressing via Amazon.

2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Well, yes. I meant my comment for purposes of buying to play.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Hi, welcome to Musicland."
    "Do you have that new Whitney Houston album?"
    "Sure, here it is, right here - still in its' shrink wrap."
    "I'll take it."
    "Enjoy!"

(two days later)
    "Hi, welcome to Musicland."
    "Hi; I bought this Whitney Houston album here last week, and I took it home, and it sounds like crap."
    "Well, you know it's 'vintage'...came from the warehouse almost 72 hours ago, so...Merry Xmas."
    "Can I talk to your manager, please?"

(two minutes later)
    "Renee says she wants you to take this copy back, and give me a fresh one - and, open it here, and play it on the store system to make sure it's right."
    "Hey, what do you expect? I already told you, it was 'vintage', and we don't have another copy anyway, so...Merry Xmas...-!"
    "Yeah, about that; she also says, if there's not another one in the store, just give me a refund...and then, she wants to see you in her office..."

4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

If you buy a new album in a retail store, you can exchange it for a non-defective copy. That’s not the situation under discussion in this thread.

5. Dillydipper

Store. Credit. When you're working with the right caliber people, it ain't that hard to not lose a customer.

6. Gabe Walters

We’re not talking about stores, here.

Strat-Mangler and GentleSenator like this.
  7. Dillydipper

A seller is a store. Or, just think of him as, "a dude who doesn't like to lose business for being callous with a buyer". Your call.

Luisboa and showtaper like this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Buyers and sellers on Discogs engage with each other under Goldmine rules, unless they clearly state otherwise. I already said, upthread, how I would handle the situation as a seller. (I have 100% feedback on Discogs, eBay, and here, but that's beside the point.) The rules are the rules--open a sealed record bought from a private seller at your own risk. It's not the same as buying from your fictional Musicland, or from Bull Moose.

GentleSenator, Luisboa and Spitfire like this.
  9. Dillydipper

"fictional"...?
    [​IMG]

10. Gabe Walters

How about nonexistent? The salient point stands. This thread is not about what to do if you buy a defective new record from a storefront.

11. Dillydipper

I think I'm all done opening up this site for today and running into responses from the same poster over and over again. You don't like my position, I get that. I'm sorry it's ruining your experience here, too.

12. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident Thread Starter

Again:
    The lp was brand new sealed item from 2017. it arrived unopened in shrink wrap. Value: 24 USD
    I sent a very polite message to the seller describing the situation. I wasn't rude what is the point? his message was basically: I don't care **** happens it is not my problem. no positive response so far.
    guys I am the victim in this story! if you would buy anything brand new you would expect that it is flawless right?
    I opened a PayPal case.

Dave and Luisboa like this.
  13. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I think with his response that was the right thing to do.

14. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

There should be no serious flaws. Small imperfections have to be expected on brand new vinyl.

I would expect the same if the sealed record was from 2007, 1997 or 1987.

15. Strat-Mangler

Your position is one that ignores a key element. If I sell a sealed album on Discogs, it's not the same as if you bought it from Amazon but your point is that it is an identical situation.

Hard to have a meaningful discussion when the foundation for a position is on such rocky ground.

GentleSenator and Gabe Walters like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

I have serious doubts that is how it went. My guess is it escalated and/or key details gave not been relayed to us.

Again,we're only getting one side of the story, here. *If* what we were told is wholly accurate, then I agree that opening a dispute was the right thing to do. At the very least, an apology should be sent.

17. joachim.ritter

What grading will you use in that case?

18. Strat-Mangler

Discogs states it should be set to "mint" but in reality unless one has x-ray vision (lol), there's no way to know for sure.

That's why you see the phrase "no returns/exchanges on sealed albums" here and elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Luisboa likes this.
  19. joachim.ritter

Yes, you will offer a "mint" record and a "mint" sleeve to buyers.

And if there is a problem you are not willing to keep your promise?

I assume (and hope) that Discogs and Paypal will not let sellers get through with something like that.

20. Gabe Walters

21. Gabe Walters

It's new information to us that the record was released in 2017 and cost $24. If I were the seller, I would offer you a refund. But he sold a sealed record and delivered a sealed record. His obligation has ended at that point. He doesn't care about keeping you happy, according to what you've told us, and that might come back to hurt him if he loses sales or if you give him negative feedback, but he has no obligation.

22. Strat-Mangler

There is no promise. That is the point! You do understand there is no way whatsoever for a seller to verify the condition of the LP contained in a sealed package, right?

It is a sealed record manufactured by a company not associated with the private seller in any way. How could you fault the seller for a flaw by the manufacturer? Explain this concept at length and use anything else but the words "mint" and "promise" because no such thing exists.

Answer truthfully. Have you ever sold sealed LPs for sale? If so, did you ever run into an issue where the condition was not absolute perfection? What did you do in such a case?

Luisboa likes this.
  23. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Since Korvettes went bankrupt and closed its last store in 1980, you would have had a hard time getting recompense in 1991.

24. joachim.ritter

If you are offering a "mint" record you have to ship a "mint" record, right?

(If you are not willing to follow this rule you can open the record to check condition or you can sell it in sealed condition elsewhere. Nobody forces you to use Discogs. If you use Discogs you have to follow their rules. If you accept Paypal payments you have to follow their rules.)

Does Discogs make a difference between business sellers and private sellers in this respect?

Yes, I had such a case on eBay and refunded the payment. But I mostly sell CDs (as business seller) on eBay and Amazon.

25. Gabe Walters

Discogs rules follow the Goldmine rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.