Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

5/5 - The first Beach Boys single I remember hearing when it was a hit. It got a lot of airplay in Chicago.

2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I never heard "Darlin" until I first accidentally got into the Beach Boys in 2006 with Sounds of Summer, which I bought on a whim.

It immediately caught my ear, and was probably my favorite songs among the songs i dind't know on that collection.

5/5. Love the horns, love the feel love the singing but most of all I love the melody.

3. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

5/5 - classic Beach Boys uptempo rocker and a showcase for Carl’s vocal abilities. A highlight of most Beach Boys shows for the next 45 years!

4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Darlin'"

Groovy picture sleeve. Hal Blaine and Ron Brown on drums and bass lay down the groove. #10 on Cashbox chart.

[​IMG]

5/5

The MEZ, Rock66 and factory44 like this.
  5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Two words: Carl. Wilson.

5/5

6. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

That sums it up for me. one of their top 10 songs, imo. 5/5

Also, the live version on Endless Harmony is stellar.

oldsurferdude and The MEZ like this.
  7. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Cool picture, I wonder if that's supposed to be Brian in the middle? Kind of looks like him with the eyes and the chin

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Darlin - classic. 5/5

The MEZ likes this.
  9. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Ohhhhh yeahhh!!! It was so good to see this coming down the pike after the ho-hum reaction of the first single(WH). And to see it live was incredible when I saw 'em do it in 67, 68 & 69. 5/5

Will Harris and Mr. D like this.
  10. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

11. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I still have my original picture sleeve 45rpm, but it's a bit worn on the top and edges. It came out of that sleeve so often! 5/5.

12. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Darlin':
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-0 vote
    5-10 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  13. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Today's song is I'd Love Just Once To See You:

factory44 and oldsurferdude like this.
  14. Lance LaSalle

I love this song. Especially in stereo. 5/5.

15. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

This song is almost too cutesy. 5/5

The MEZ and Will Harris like this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

NUDE: 5/5. PARTICULARLY PLEASING TO ME WHEN I WAS A TEEN AND WASHED DISHES AT THE RESTARAUNT. PIE.

Will Harris likes this.
  17. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Not a major Brian composition but kind of a prelude to Busy Doin Nothin. Love the acoustic guitar vibe and Brian’s vocal is perfection. And it’s funny in that goofy Beach Boys Brian humor way. 3.5 -4/5, but for voting purposes a 4/5.

18. Lance LaSalle

Yes, this may be the first of Brian’s “spirituality of the everyday” songs. I wonder what Mike’s contribution was. I bet it was relatively light on this one.

Will Harris and oldsurferdude like this.
  19. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

As Lou stated, a definite prelude to BDN for sure and I love the song, the guitar and Brian's great vocal which is kinda sweet and easy going. The ending was kind of an eyebrow raiser back in the day when I would play it for friends(especially the ladies). 5/5 with or without clothes.

pablo fanques and Will Harris like this.
  20. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I too have always wondered how much of most of the songs on this record had much input from Mike. "I'd Love Just Once To See You" sounds just like the kind of lyrics Brian writes. Maybe Mike stuck in the naughty bit at the end!
    I like the way you put it, "spirituality of the everyday" - yep, that's Brian.

In any case, this is a Big 5/5. Brian's vocal is a knock-out! It's outta the park!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  21. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"I'd Love Just Once To See You"

This song paved the way for "All I Want To Do".

Good melody that complements the sentiment and expression in the lyrics. I like the part about trying to put the girl to work in the kitchen, but, believe me, you have to be prepared for that strategy to backfire sometimes.

5/5

22. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

ILJOTSY is a classic. Such a great vocal from Brian. And yes, “in the nude” is such a great ending. It was such a naughty surprise when I first heard the song as a 10 year old. 5/5.

23. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

5/5 - His greatest of the minimalist work.

24. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Have to agree with lou, again.

Yes, musically an antecedent to Busy Doin' Nothin'. Lyrically, perhaps a descendant of Wouldn't It Be Nice. He's had her bake him a pie, they've washed dishes together but he hasn't seen her nude yet?!

I also like the "ba ba ba's" before the final line. I wonder if the Velvets were inspired by them for Who Loves the Sun.

4/5

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. Lance LaSalle

I think that "Who Loves The Sun" has a clear Beach Boys influence. AS does "Here Comes the Sun". And in fact, any song that references "sun" and "summertime" or "surfing". It's like an unwritten rule that if a song title or lyric contains those words, there must be a Beach Boys reference; at the very least a backing oo-wee-ooo vocal. It's like the rule that says the word "blue" must always be on a blue note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.