Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Too much going on at the house today for me to write a long post. Will do so tomorrow. "Slip On Through" is a very special song to me. 5/5 Big Time!

The MEZ, Isamet and Mr. D like this.
  2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Yes I checked both are on YouTube.

3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"A Time To Live In Dreams"
    Good tune and lyrics. Peace and love. 4/5

"Break Away"
    Slicker than Murry's fake eyeball. Underproduced? Maybe ever so slightly. Good group lead vocal sharing with Al, Brian, and Mike all taking turns at the mic. 5/5

"Celebrate the News"
    On par with "Break Away" in the quality department. Great Dennis lead and group background vocals. Mike's bass vocals are neato. 5/5

"Cotton Fields"
    The sped up tempo, steel guitar, and weird sounding Al don't work as well as the Brian version. The arrangement is still pretty respectable, and it's hard to mess this song up if you have decent musical talent and an ear for the song. 4/5

"Slip On Through"
    Poor lyrics on this one, I'm afraid. Interesting melody and arrangement, but not enough in the lyrics department.

3/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  4. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I always thought "Celebrate the News" had a kind of Dennis/Manson ring to it, has a similar sinister vibe that "Never Learn not to Love" has, especially the chaotic bridge leading to the fade at the end

5. classicrockguy

"Slip on Through" is a perfect rocking opener to Sunflower, just kind of comes right at you and says "this is going to be a great album", and it turns out to be true! My favorite BB album next to Pet Sounds

6. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Slip On Through:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-1 vote
    4-1 vote
    5-6 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  7. Wata

I've limited it to released tracks, but if people want to discuss them, I'm all for adding them to the song list. Everyone, what do you all think?

oldsurferdude likes this.
  8. Wata

Today's song is This Whole World:

The MEZ and oldsurferdude like this.
  9. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

5/5. This is an positive track, even if it is short.

10. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

TWW- great opening 1-2 shot from Sunflower.

My only quibble: too short. Nonetheless, still a 5/5.

11. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I can't wait until the 2020 copyright collection comes out and we can hear the alternate version - it's 3 minutes long with a drum break and instrumental section in the fade and alternate vocals! As it appeared on Sunflower, this song has simiply stunning vocals - Brian and Carl did an amazing job with the vocal arrangement. It's pure ear candy, one of the highlights (if not the highlight) of the album. 6/5 would be appropriate but I'll give it the max of 5/5.

Chris M, Rock66, Will Harris and 2 others like this.
  12. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Aum Bop diddit…Fantastic Brian song with all the stops pulled out. Amazing what they could jam into such a small space. Easy 5.

Will Harris and Mr. D like this.
  13. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"This Whole World" is great. I love the guitar sound...the backing vocal arrangement...that celeste bit...the lyrics are cute...it goes by in less than two minutes, but with so many changes and different parts in it, that's about all it needs to be an awesome 5/5.

The MEZ, Rock66, Will Harris and 3 others like this.
  14. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Slip On Through and This Whole World both get a 5/5 from me. One of my favorite 1-2 punches to open any album from any era.

15. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Tomorrow is here, but still only enough time to stick in my rating for "This Whole World". 5/5.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  16. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Tremendous melody here, but the lyrics, for the most part, are pretty nebulous and weak. The part about girls leaving is the best part of the lyrics. The rest need some help from Mike Love or someone. Weird EQ on the vocals does nothing to help matters.

4/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  17. classicrockguy

"This Whole World" - amazing melody and arrangement, def. a 5/5, great spiritual lyrics as well. I especially like how they keep changing the key, like the way it goes from "...you are there like everywhere like everyone you see..." to "...happy cause your living and you're free..."
    Forgot rating for the previous song "Slip On Through" that is 5/5 as well

18. Custom Machine

Custom Machine Forum Resident

I'll never forget being blown away the first time I heard This Whole World, on the $2 mail order Warner/Reprise loss leader double album The Big Ball, a number of months before Sunflower finally appeared. Definitely a 5/5.

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  19. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

This Whole World 5/5

Pure Brian perfection.

20. Wata

Your ratings for This Whole World:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-1 vote
    5-10 votes

Will Harris and The MEZ like this.
  21. Wata

Today's song is Add Some Music To Your Day:

22. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Add Some Music" is great, but I don't like it as much as I wish I could, especially since I know it's about the only fully Brian Wilson produced song on this album, the others being produced or co-produced by others. It's enjoyable enough, has an incredible vocal arrangement and is a nice slice of sunshine and it's fun to sing along with and I suppose it fit in well with the soft rock times it was a part of, but it's a very 4/5 song to me. My favorite part is the bridge.

No, you know what? Forget what I just said. I'm giving it a 5/5, the more I htink about it the more the tiny details start jumping out at me. Maybe I just find the lyrics a little dippy, that's all.

23. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I agree with Lance that the lyrics are a bit dippy, but I also remember that 1970 was a very dippy time. It is a sweet song well executed so I give it a 5/5. And who shouldn't add some music to their day?

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Add Some Music - 5/5

Will Harris and The MEZ like this.
  25. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

ASM - I love Beach Boy songs where there multiple "lead" vocalists. I love how this song showcases the collective vocal talents of the band and, to me, epitomizes Lester Bangs' quote how "listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral".

The lyrics may seem dippy or square (heck, they are signing the praises of muzak, for crying out loud), however, this is one of those instances where Mike's common man lyrics especially work. What's more uplifting to many, then singing about the virtues of music?

Needless to say 5/5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.