Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

5/5

The MEZ likes this.
  2. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

I like it but always sounded like a B side and there are some GREAT B sides as we all know. I'd say it could have been a better choice for 20/20 instead of All I Want To Do, but perhaps it wasn't written yet. A somewhat weak 4/5.

3. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Apparently the multis are missing as we didn’t get a stereo version on MIC. Would love a stereo mix to add to my Surfs Up lineup!

Will Harris, Mr. D and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Sound Of Free is more fantastic music from Dennis. Man, he was on an incredible roll at that point in time.

5/5.

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

4/5

Yup, representative of missed opportunities on that album.

Mr. D and oldsurferdude like this.
  6. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

The biggest frustration of being a Beach Boy diehard over the years was the non-release of SMiLE. The second biggest frustration may be the ignoring of Dennis' obvious talents and not including his songs on Beach Boys albums from Surf's Up, onward (appreciating that he also had a hand in their non-inclusion).

As I am sure many of us have said time and time again re: the Beach Boys: "Oh, what could have been!"

SOF: 4/5

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I dont think they left Denny out. He chose to pull out of Surfs Up.

Carl and Passions he gave 2 songs.
    Holland he gave 2 songs.

Then he (and everyone else) got sidelined as Brian took over. Gave Dennis excuse to go solo.

Then LA Light Album picked up where Holland left off and some Dennis songs got included again.

I think they were well aware of his talent and encouraged his participation.

erikdavid5000, The MEZ, mr. k and 3 others like this.
  8. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Fair comment, Daniel.

Yeah, I agree that re: Surf’s Up, Dennis is as much to blame but I think we’d all agree that SU would have been even better with any one of or all of WIBNTLA, 4th of July and Sound of Free.

Appreciating that timing is a bit off but Carry Me Home would have improved Carl and the Passions.

Almost all of the POB songs would have improved post-Holland Beach Boys’ albums, though they arguably may not have fit in with what the others were writing. Nonetheless, I have made a number of post 1975 BB playlists including some of Dennis solo stuff, which greatly improves the proceedings.

Yes, LA is certainly example where Dennis contributed songs that he originally tagged for his second solo album to the betterment of LA.

9. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

"Sound of Free" is one of Dennis very best songs. 5/5 or 10/10 - yes, top marks. What a great little song! It would have been perfect for Surf's Up. So would "4th of July". As everybody is saying though, it's a new world with comps and playlists. We had cassette tapes in the old days, but I never thought they sounded nearly as great as the vinyl we were using to make comps - and the damn things were too easy to break. Car players just loved to eat them for lunch. CDs are a much better medium to build with.

10. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Sound of Free"
    DW and Rumbo struck gold with this Wilson/Love song. Nice sentiment and positive energy: almost a religious type of lyric. Sounds like Carl on BGVs.

5/5

The MEZ likes this.
  11. mr. k

Agreed, Will, except the bits about Surf's Up. ;-) Pre-recorded cassette tapes were so darn fragile. The empty tapes for homemade comps were better, but not much better.

12. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Sound of Free:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-4 votes
    5-6 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  13. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Today's song is Barbara:

14. Daniel Plainview

Barbara - I really like this one. One of these days they've gotta issue an early 70s Dennis solo record that collects all these great songs under one roof. 5/5

pablo fanques, The MEZ and Mr. D like this.
  15. mr. k

Sorry to dig this up but I just came across this remark from Andrew G. Doe regarding the BGVs:

"According to Steve Desper's little book about recording Sunflower & Surf's Up, the vocal part in question [the 'girl's' voice on 'Long Promised Road'] is Alan, triple tracked."

16. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Barbara" is a lovely little melody. The lyrics don't do much for me at all and bring the song down a notch. 4/5

Man, did the Beach Boys like the Barbara name or what? "Barbie Barbie, Queen of the Prom", "Barbie '89", "Barbara", "Barbara Ann."

17. Daniel Plainview

Barbara is my favorite Dennis Wilson ex-wife!

[​IMG]

pablo fanques likes this.
  18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Beautiful ballad, melody, and heartfelt almost heartbreaking vocal. One thing about Dennis’s songs, whether you like them or not, is that he is 100% committed vocally and emotionally to them. This just needs some subtle percussion, bass and a string overdub in the latter part of the song to make it perfect. 4/5 for being unfinished but another great Dennis song left on the cutting room floor. It would fit great on Carl and the Passions and I prefer the song to either Cuddle Up or Make It Good.

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Barbara" floored me when it came out on Endless Harmony. 5/5

20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Dennis mastered the ballad form as evidenced by Barbara. Agree with lou, a little skeletal and would benefit from some additional colour. 4/5.

21. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

A soulful song to someone he loved very much and the song shows it very well. 4/5

22. Will Harris

If you go watch the 1972 OGWT clip with American Spring, Marilyn let's it slip that that they, she's implying both of them, sing on "Feel Flows". She also says they are doing background vocals on Holland.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Lance LaSalle and mr. k like this.
  23. Will Harris

John, as you can see above, I quoted the wrong post of yours. And too late to change it. This is the post I was answering.

mr. k likes this.
  24. Will Harris

"Barbara" - lovely, a 4/5 or 7/10. I'm noticing we all have different very favorites of the Dennis stuff.

The MEZ, Mr. D and oldsurferdude like this.
  25. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Barbara"
    Nice melody, but it's kind of a poor man's "Your Song".

4/5

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.