Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

'S okay. 3

oldsurferdude and The MEZ like this.
  2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

All I wanna do - Oh
    Is give this song a 2 - Oh

Kidding...love it. 5/5

3. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Looks like Rock66 and I are of the same opinion on this one. This tune never moved me one way or the other except to skip it when playing the CD. 3/5

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

You know, I like it but I don't think it's particularly great in the way that most of the other songs on this album (and at least one of those omitted) are.

Rock66, Uncle Ernie and oldsurferdude like this.
  5. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Doing some catch up:

The Trader: 5/5
    Leaving This Town: 5/5
    Only With You: 3/5

Rock66 and The MEZ like this.
  6. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Ya get one per quarter, and maybe a good place to stick the man under the chair emoji.

7. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I guess I’m the only one who enjoys Carl’s vocal on OWY. He could have sung a grocery list and I would have loved it.

4/5.

8. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Only With You"

Carl's worst vocal 1962-1990, hands down. The "do-ooh"s are not good. Interesting melody and production, but not sure how good it would be with another singer or a better Carl performance.

2/5

9. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with Carl's vocals, but "Only With You" is a pretty boring song, not much to recommend. I wonder if they put the "all I want to doo-ooh" section in there to spice it up a little, which it does for about 30 seconds. A big come-down after the dramatic, exciting "Trader" and "Leaving This Town", I give it a 3/5 .

10. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

I really love Only with You - I could name it as my favorite song by Dennis - and I prefer Carl's rendition here to Dennis' on POB bonus tracks. It's totally slick but very much heartfelt and mellow.

5/5

ChristopherTeuma and The MEZ like this.
  11. Wata

Your ratings for Only With You:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-8 votes
    4-4 votes
    5-3 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  12. Wata

Today's song is Funky Pretty:

13. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I like 'Funky Pretty', it's weird and sounds like a doodle that got lucky - but it's got some good charm. I don't like the subsequent rocked-up live version they did, I don't think there's enough of a song there to warrant a live appearance. Nice ending 3/5

Uncle Ernie and oldsurferdude like this.
  14. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

5/5

This song, in all its weird glory, best represents the magic of those first four early Warner Bros. LPs to me. It comes at you from left field and is difficult to hook into at first...but when it grabs you it never lets you go. One of my most played Beach Boys songs. Also, I love that rising-and-falling synth line that's buried in the bridge when Carl sings "The meaning in Los Angees..."

Question:

Can anyone tell me if they also hear Marilyn on the coda? I've looked for references about this on the Smiley Smile and Cabin Essence boards but never found info. I know Brian gave Billy Hinsche a line, but that is not what I'm referencing. I hear a female voice. Or two. Or is it Brian or Al sped up? Below is what I hear (timings from the video above):

2:41 - Blondie: "Funky...
    2:42 - Marilyn And Company: "Oooooooh funky."
    2:43 - Blondie: "...I still remember Funky Pretty."
    2:47 - Mike: "Why she left my Pisces lady..."

15. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

I have cloth ears so instead of listening I looked around at Smiley and like you found no mention at all of Marilyn in this context. Someone at Smiley did point out that Brian's first "On my way" in "California Saga: California" is sped up so maybe the same thing happened here. Interesting point you raise, CS.

These are the "definitive" vocal credits for "Funky Pretty": The Definitive Vocal Credits List

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Funky Pretty - live version is definitive but this great too. 5/5

17. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

4/5 - A really good song, but not quite as good to my ears as some tracks like California or Steamboat. But it helps make the album a must have in the BB catalog.

18. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

Oops. Missed "Only With You" which I would have given full marks.

But I'm in time for "Funky Pretty". It's a wonderfully upbeat closer to a consistently listenable album. That tag is worth the price of admission alone.

5/5.

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

5 for me. What's not to like?

20. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

With the synth and the goofy, funny lyrics (to me anyway) this track is kind of a precursor to Love You. Funky Pretty adds some much needed "rock" and a little bit of funk to Holland (Sail on Sailor and the first half of Trader are the only other songs that might be considered to "rock"). I love that this started as some off the cuff improvisation from Brian and was developed into this catchy and rockin' ear worm. 5/5

21. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

FP - not quite top shelf Beach Boys but any song that features the band’s multiple vocalists is alright by me.

4/5

22. Cipresso

Cipresso Forum Resident

Just love this song, both the weird studio version and the (quite different) funky rocking live version. An easy 5/5.

23. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

The Holland version of Funky Pretty is excellent. The live version is outstanding!

4/5 for this version

24. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

5/5 right out of the gate as they say. A mysterious, catchy and incredibly tantalizing look at this fascinating woman who's guiding light is in the stars. Jack's lyrics are as amazing as it gets and along with Brian's melody and Carl's production, it creates the curious vibe throughout the album and leads us to the spacy Mt. Vernon. The apex of this song is, as Celebrated Summer stated, is the enticing bridge which is such cool poetry. By the way the 5/5 is for the studio cut.

25. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

I really enjoy Funky Pretty—or as my wife calls it, “Pisces Princess, Leo Lady, whatever . . . just make it stop”—but it’s apparently not for everyone. A fun, spontaneous BW musical invention with admittedly awful, dashed off lyrics—but what are you gonna do? It’s a Beach Boys thing. 4/5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.