Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Unfortunately Cousin Mike was never gonna play ball. In fact he orchestrated worse instances to come. Tragedy

2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Mike Love was never the dictator of the band's business affairs. It takes more than Mike Love to tango.

3. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I’m with Lance on this one. Perhaps a coda of the first part of the song, would have fit the bill and imagine what the vocals would have been like with the other Beach Boys on the track.

3/5

smilin ed and The MEZ like this.
  4. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Pablo fanques didn't use the word dictator. In 1978 Mike became more a manipulator. Getting the votes he needed to make things go his way in their business affairs. Orchestrated stuff to happen is an accurate enough way to say what Pablo was saying, because he wasn't talking about business affairs. Maneuvered might be a better word to use. His maneuvers caused a lot of negativity to take place.

5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Not really. The other members of the band were grown men who decided what was best for themselves, just like when they decided that Carl would set the running order for the 1971 Surf's Up album in opposition to Dennis's wishes. One band member doesn't get to determine the direction for the band. That applies to Dennis and Mike equally. They have a democratic system that they have been satisfied with for fifty years now. One band member's frustration doesn't equate to every band member's frustration.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  6. Dongoldberg5

Dongoldberg5 Active Member

Out in the Country
    written by Brian Wilson an Don Goldberg
    Sweet and Bitter written by Don Goldberg and sung by Mike Love
    Don Goldberg has a new book out that sets the record straight about the 2 songs
    and his involvement with Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys.
    (The lost Song ) by; Don Goldberg available on Amazon

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I Love You - kinda all over the place but has some spook to it. 4/5

Lance LaSalle, Mr. D and The MEZ like this.
  8. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Right, Will. He's had his cake and ate it too, especially after Carl passed away. And when he didn't get his way, like in the 50 year reunion tour, he decided that he would pull out because he didn't like the way things were going. Real democratic that Mike Love guy, huh? :wtf:

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Essentially I agree, but you could look at it charitably and see that Mike (and Al at this point) were trying to hold things together while the others were disintegrating around them. The vision of the BBs that they seemed to have in 1978 was a lot different to the one they (and that includes Mike, going by his interviews) had in the early 70s, but it kept the flag flying.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

So, Don, I've heard and like Out in the Country and Sweet and Bitter. When were they recorded. Was that version of Out in the Country recorded prior to the slower Jardine-led version? Were they ever intended for a specific album?

Thanks

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Just found my answers here: An Autobiography by Don Goldberg | EH

12. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Sorry to be absent for a day.

Your ratings for I Love You:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-2 votes
    4-3 votes
    5-1 vote

The MEZ likes this.
  13. Wata

Today's song is Constant Companion:

Will Harris and The MEZ like this.
  14. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

Another great Dennis song. This just proves that his follow up to Pacific Ocean Blue would have been great. What a loss.

15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Apparently this was mixed down for possible inclusion on the L.A. album - solid Carli Munoz song (with Rags Baker?), although I prefer the percussion intro mix, and use it as my lead off track for Bambu.

My only quibble with the song is Dennis's vocal - while it's good considering the state of his voice, the vocal just doesn't seem as emotionally engaged with the material as on his own songs - seems a bit flat. Especially when compared to his performance on another Munoz song more in his comfort zone, the ballad All Alone. 4/5.

16. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yes, the version with the extended percussion intro is my go-to for Constant Companion. I'd give it a solid 4/5. The released version on the POB deluxe edition 3/5.

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Wiuld have been rather good on LA - though would have been three DW tracks and one with a DW lead, not that I'm complaining if it meant dropping one of Carl's soporific ballads or HCTN or Sumahama or Shortenin' Bread.

I get what you're saying about the singing and the emotional engagement. Tempted to drop to a 3 but what the hell: 4

18. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Constant Companion is sexy cool slightly jazzy R&B I dig it; thanks Carli Munoz and dennis. Too tired at the moment to say more. 4/5. But this song makes me want to have get drunk and have sex, and I'm an abstinent Buddhist monk! No really.

Will Harris, Mr. D and The MEZ like this.
  19. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Good, catchy song with a good structure. Would have been a good BB song as well. 4/5

20. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Would have been interesting to hear this with some Beach Boys backing vocals - not sure if they would fit but they might have lifted the song to another level.

21. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

My favorite of the Carli Munoz songs. 4/5, Strong 8/10. Agree that "Constant Companion" would have been a wonderful addition to L.A. (Light Album).

22. Wata

Your ratings for Constant Companion:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-1 vote
    4-5 votes
    5-0 vote

The MEZ likes this.
  23. Wata

Today's song is Time for Bed:

The MEZ likes this.
  24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Before I rate this, I'd like to know who the hell is singing this. Ever since I first heard it on bootleg, I thought the vocal sounded nothing like Dennis of 1976 (or 75) to 1978. Maybe the Dennis voice of 1974 (My Love Lives On and Barnyard). But this wasn't recorded then, obviously. Listen to the line "walkin' slow" and the "headin' for that party" lines. Dennis has never sounded like that. When we get to the "marijuana beer and wine" part, that sounds like Dennis. Did he have another vocalist do the beginning of the song? Who?

oldsurferdude, The MEZ and Mr. D like this.
  25. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Interesting theory, lou. I have never thought it was anyone but Dennis but I hear your point.

As for the song, it gets marks for me for its everything but the kitchen-sink production. A lot happening on a standard boogie number. 3/5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.