Discussion: The Beatles "Old Brown Shoe" - Paul or Ringo on drums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

There's only one. Where's the second one?

On basic track there's piano (two-handed part, Paul), electric guitar (Clapton), acoustic guitar (George), organ (John), drums (Ringo).

Where?

nikh33, Onder, Ern and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

People are making the claim that because its triplets played simultaneously on the floor tom and snare, it’s not possible for Paul to have played it. That’s simply hogwash. I’m a drummer of McCartney’s experience and I can easily play those parts.

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Can you please show me where you got the information that both John and Paul play bass on "Helter Skelter?" The outtake clearly shows Paul playing it.

Onder, Ern and Gila like this.
  4. Ern

Ern Senior Member

No bass on the basic track takes.
    George on acoustic and vocal, Ringo on drums, Eric on guitar, Paul on piano and backing vocal and John on organ.

5. zen

zen Senior Member

For 50 years I thought Ringo was on drums, so, it'll leave it that way.

PIGGIES, 2141 and RAJ717 like this.
  6. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

Yes I believe so, though most of my sessions knowledge about all this is from over 30 years of reading Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book which is now claimed to be inaccurate in parts,so who knows.

7. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

For many years I thought Martha My Dear was a Paul Solo job (from the Revolution in the Head book),but in the White Album book it lists Ringo on Drums and George on guitar.
    I was quite pleased to read this, so it's another strange one like Old Brown Shoe.

Paulwalrus and J Alesait like this.
  8. Ephi82

Read the SDE book further. Version 3 ( the used version) has John on bass. Paul was alternating between piano and organ. George on acoustic. You can hear the picked clank of the Bass VI on the verses. ( I believe Paul overdubbed bass playing in unison with Johns part.

9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Excellent point, that jumped out at me when reading those notes as well. One wonders how mixing misinformation we've accepted over the years and gotten comfortable with?

People still think Paul drums on Why Dojt We Do it in the Road despite both Paul and Ringos comments to the contrary and the SDE book's liner notes.

Paulwalrus, J Alesait and lordcat like this.
  10. Ephi82

Lennon interview, can’t remember source. Among other things, he said he was proud of his bass playing on White Album, Paul giving him pointers. The SDE book says he played bass on it too.

11. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Not sure of your experience, but Old Brown Shoe is DEFINITELY RINGO on the drums. Case closed.

TFEC, boggs, Onder and 1 other person like this.
  12. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

We have a few sources leaning towards Ringo as playing drums. This one does provide insight:

RAJ717 likes this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's my point: the SDE book is wrong.

Have you heard the outtake on the set? It's Paul playing bass.

Gila and Onder like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

A question about Paul's drumming skills: can anyone show me a drum track by Paul where he even comes close to exhibiting this kind of skill on the drums?

angelees, Ryan Lux, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  15. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Yep. Old Brown Shoe. ;)

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I knew someone would say that. :p

tappioha, PIGGIES and boggs like this.
  17. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I know. Seriously though, I'm having trouble believing either the case for Paul or for Ringo! My ears are telling me one thing but it's hard to ignore Sam Okell's definitive answer to Kim's twitter question.

18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I'm really surprised to see so many people saying this was Paul; it's so obviously not. I'm sorry, Paul is nowhere near this level as a drummer. Once and a while Ringo really showed his chops and this song is a great example.

19. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

It's a two-handed piano part, and when organ comes in, piano is still going, so it couldn't be one person 'alternating' between those.

If it would have 2 bass parts in unison, besides the chorus-y sound, there certainly would be a moment or two when they are not exactly the same. That picked clank is from Fender Jazz which Paul also used on Helter Skelter, Yer Blues, Birthday, Glass Onion, I'm So Tired, Piggies, Don't Pass Me By, and perhaps another song or two.

Bass playing in Back in the USSR is a messy mush, Rocky Raccoon bass playing ain't exactly something to be proud of, nor is the first version of Helter Skelter where he plays one quarter note pulse for minutes. Unlike George, John never recorded even a decent bass part during The Beatles.

maywitch, Ern, J Alesait and 2 others like this.
  20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Are we talking Gently Weeps here? Then Paul is certainly not alternating between piano and organ. Unless he has more than two hands.

Onder, baitzahn and Gila like this.
  21. Ephi82

Dear Prudence

maywitch and Chuckee like this.
  22. Ephi82

You’ve never seen someone alternate between piano and organ? You've never seen a keyboard player playing two keyboards?

23. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Check these isolated parts from Beatles Rock Band, from 0:52 to the end of the bridge section. It's two-handed piano part playing simultaneously with organ.

24. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

More revisionist history

PIGGIES likes this.
  25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Plus the Let It Be Jam inbetween WMGGW takes clearly has two people on those instruments. Paul on Piano and John on organ.