Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd say it's because their core expertise is in producing TV shows and they've just recently started exploring the movie landscape.

But, I also think that original TV shows are more valuable to them than original movies. Movies are just a single-shot watch affair, whereas TV series have many hours bundled up in episodes and across a number of years/seasons. This makes it more appealing in attracting customers and keeping them subscribed over the long-run.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It changes daily. From their perspective, they're doing well in terms of monthly & yearly income. I judge them by their TV series: we watch an awful lot of the Netflix shows in a given year. I like their approach, I like the cost, I like the picture quality, I like the lack of commercials, I like the variety, and I like the very high level of entertainment. Lost in Space, House of Cards, the Marvel shows... lotta good stuff there. Netflix is spending $8 billion on new content this year. Here's a partial list:

Here are all the confirmed original shows coming to Netflix in 2018

If you don't like it... don't watch it. But I enjoy what I'm watching and I think they're doing a pretty good job. If I were in the traditional network business, I'd be very nervous.

sunspot42 and audiomixer like this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Where did you get the $392.8 B market cap for Netflix? (NFLX) on Nasdaq shows a market cap of $174.64B and P/E ratio of 249.36 which tells me their shares are way overpriced.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  4. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Netflix - PE 280 - no dividend /no yield - Market Cap $176B - 52-wk range 144/419

5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Dunno that I agree here.

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

If Fox becomes a subsidiary of Disney, will future releases of the six Fox-era Star Wars films retain the Fox logo and fanfare?

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope so for the sake of both tradition and authenticity.

enro99, PhantomStranger and Encuentro like this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, they bought it all fair and square, so...

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

If Disney is buying Fox’s assets but not the name itself, it seems that any future release would not include the Fox logo and fanfare.

10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

What does that have to do with these mega-mergers being a good idea or not?

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Then buy stock in Disney and complain to the CEO and tell them you don't agree with their decision to buy Fox. Maybe they'll listen to you.

There are legal issues that I think are still unclear. My guess is that they will own the 20th Century-Fox logo and Alfred Newman's "Fox Fanfare," so they could include it on any Fox films. It's probably they wouldn't do it on movies never released with the Fox logo, but maybe they'd make an exception for the Star Wars saga. You know... it's only a logo.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You are absolutely right -- I am not a stock broker and glanced at the wrong column. The Google searches are confusing. :)

But the gist of my argument is correct:

Netflix's Market Cap Is Now Greater Than Disney's and Comcast's

They still have to get the stockholders to agree to the deal, and I think they're not scheduled for that approval meeting for another 2 weeks. So you can agree to it "in principle," but things can change in a week or two.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    sunspot42 likes this.
  13. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I haven’t seen any negatives yet. Disney seems to be treating the acquired franchises respectfully.

14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Ease up on the strawman.

15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Sure. The big mainstream ones. Some of us care about the fate of niche titles they'll acquire. There's more at stake to these deals than whether Wolverine and Spiderman will be in the same film.

These huge mergers are trash all the way around.

EDIT: And this may be splitting hairs but didn't Disney/Lucasfilm just release the first Star Wars film to lose money?

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Watching video and DVD over the years it’s always looked to me like old movies retain all the logos and whatnot that appeared at the top, regardless of whether a new company purchases the library they belong to and rereleases them. That stuff is part of the movie. There may be a new logo before the film begins but once the actual movie starts its original preamble is retained.

The new Star Wars films have not had Disney’s name on them, only Lucasfilm’s.

Encuentro likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That may be the case for other films, but it hasn't been the case for five of the six Fox-era Star Wars films. The digital download versions and post-Disney sale television broadcasts of all but the original 1977 film do not have the Fox logo and fanfare. They have been replaced with this:

18. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Im a Planet of the Apes 1968-73 fan obviously and I want my 4k HDR great sound even mono. Before I leave this mortal coil I want the best the apes can be with the Conquest prologue inserted and all the films done like recent redos Midnight Cowboy, 2001 and so many from the same era.
    oK back to money talk, John M.

19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Wow. Didn’t know that. I guess they felt freer to change that because Fox only distributed those movies...?

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

My understanding is that Fox currently has the rights to distribute the physical version of all six films. There was a Blu-ray release after Disney bought Lucasfilm, and the films on the Blu-rays retained the Fox logo and fanfare. They were just the 2011 Blu-rays repackaged. Because the digital downloads aren't being distributed physically, and the films themselves are owned by Disney, the Fox logo has been removed. I'm not sure why the logo remains in the digital download version of the original 1977 film. I know that Fox owns the distribution rights to that one in perpetuity but only owns the distribution rights to the other five films until 2020. Still, I figured the same principle would apply to a non-physical release of the 1977 film, but the Fox logo remains for the digital download version.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

All they had to do to get approval was to sell the Fox Sports regional channels. Well, that smells like trouble for those with the sports package from the cable or satellite provider.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. Comcast is making noise about upping their cash offer again.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They don't gots de money. There's always the possibility that a huge corporation with the money could swoop in at the last minute. Rupert Murdoch is rubbing his hands with glee: $72 billion is a lot more than Fox is actually worth.

The deal will be over with on July 27th:

Disney, Fox Shareholders to Vote July 27 on Deal

Fox Sets Shareholder Meeting For Vote On Disney Offer

While I hope that Disney gets the deal done, a month is a long time and a lot could happen in that time...

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Mickey's empire is about the get bigger, Comcast is out.

Walt Disney Co. to claim 21st Century Fox entertainment assets after Comcast drops out of the bidding war

The Walt Disney Co. has prevailed in the bidding war for much of Rupert Murdoch’s empire after Comcast Corp. said Thursday that it was dropping out of the fight for 21st Century Fox’s entertainment assets to instead focus on its bid for European pay-TV giant Sky.

Comcast’s early morning announcement hands a key victory to Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger, who has agreed to spend $71 billion for the Fox assets, which include the company’s prolific television and movie studios, cable channels FX and National Geographic, the controlling stake in streaming service Hulu, and international properties in India and Latin America.

For Comcast, continuing to pursue the Fox assets just became too expensive — and a big stretch for wary shareholders. Comcast would have had to offer more than $80 billion to stay competitive with Disney’s sweetened $71-billion bid and it has separately bid $34 billion for Sky.

sunspot42 likes this.