Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Take it up with Mr. Bart. I didn't write the story.

[email protected]

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. I better don't, I worked at one of Mr. Rich's houses, won't say which one, and 'though I'm disabled and no longer work for him (through a private security company) there's still a confideliality document signed by me so I can't discuss anything about what I saw or heard while working for him. All in all, it's a stupid piece of paper as I only have good things to say about Mr. Rich and his family, may he rest in peace.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Apparently Disney shareholders at the annual meeting got a sneak peak of new Star Wars and Avatar footage, the deal must be very close to being finalized.

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

5. MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

7. I think one of my favourite movie studios is going to hell.

andrewskyDE and apesfan like this.
  8. There's a very colorful future timeline someone has drawn up with Disney replacing the Federal Government and then taking over the world. I used to think it was a joke but now I am not so sure...

MikaelaArsenault and sunspot42 like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very interesting and poignant essay by several major filmmakers on the legacy of 20th Century-Fox and what's being lost as it's gobbled up by Disney...

Fox Remembered: Guillermo del Toro, Paul Feig, Steve Levitan and More on Studio’s Legacy

I believe the sale is official as of today. "Let the hangings begin!" :shake:

Disney Completes 21st Century Fox Acquisition

And how about this headline...

Today is the Final Day for 20th Century Fox After 104 Years; At 12:02 am Tonight( Weds) - They will Cease to Exist

In other news: William Fox, the "lost executive" of 20th Century-Fox, is still pissed-off. Look up his sad history. Mr. Fox was a huge producer in the 1920s, and lost everything with the 1929 stock market crash and actually wound up losing his studio and his freedom when he went to jail for fraud for about six months. Millions of theatergoers saw his name for decades on the logo, but I think very few people remember who he was and what he accomplished in Hollywood.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing that link Vidiot.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

As of three minutes ago, 20th Century Fox is officially a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And apparently Deadpool has just weighed in on the acquisition...
    [​IMG]

And showrunner Al Jean of The Simpsons weighs in as well...

[​IMG]

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oof. Sad.

dan c

14. Deuce66

Welcome to the new Walt Disney Company. We OWN YOU....ok maybe not but we're close to 50% of the top box office.

The Walt Disney Company

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and jupiter8 like this.
  15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

sunspot42 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

jupiter8 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I agree- it makes money, unlike the newspapers he has held onto

18. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Lachlan said last November that he has no plans to change Fox News.

19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Fox News, Fox Business and Fox Sports are remaining as is. They have their own stock ticker separate from the Disney/21st Century Fox.

Vidiot and Vahan like this.
  20. My favourite movie studio (along with Warner Bros.) is going to be prostituted by the Mickey Mouse House. It's very very sad, at least it is for me.

21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

22. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I can't say anything negative about Disney for their purchase of 20th Century Fox. It was a smart business decision & I really believe we will all see it that way when they get their streaming service going. Let's wait & see what happens. My opinion.

Encuentro likes this.
  23. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

That would be the newly formed Fox Corporation (which trades as FOXA)- I believe Fox Sports that remains is only the national version since they have to sell off the regional sports network as part of the Disney deal

neo123 likes this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Don't be scared, it'll only get some Micky Mouse ears.^^

25. Deuce66

Disney is not wasting time layoff notices are already being issued.

Layoffs Begin at 20th Century Fox After Disney Deal Closes

While Disney never clarified how many people would lose their job, analysts say that by the time the dust settles, 4,000 of the jobs that conglomerate provides could be lost. Disney-skeptic analyst Rich Greenfield of BTIG even put the number at 5,000-10,000 over a longer time frame.

Acquisitions are usually accompanied by layoffs, though the Disney-Fox merger was always expected to be a bit more brutal than others given the overlap in various job functions, especially at the film studio's marketing, distribution and home entertainment units.

Management didn't provide any insight into possible layoffs before the deal close. "We have spoken about $2 billion in cost synergies and we're confident that we're going to be able to deliver those," Iger said on an earnings call in August. "There will be revenue synergies as well, but we have not been specific about what they are and we don't intend to get specific about that, at least for the foreseeable future."