Distortion on my vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheRealMcCoy, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member Thread Starter

Ok I've been having an issue and this has happened on 3 different records.... I have other records that play just fine no issues... BUT these 3 records which used to play fine now are distorted and kinda skip a little only at the beginning of the record both sides... after the first track then no issues.... What is going on here?? They seem to have a slight warp but nothing major.... I've had a new cart for a year now was professionally set up by musicdirect its a Clearaudio Concept table with a Sumiko Amethyst cart.... Does it need a little more tracking force? I don't know I never have touched anything of that.... Thoughts??

2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Measure your tracking force... most cartridges have a range and it might need to be bumped up a bit. There are a number of inexpensive electronic scales- very easy to use.

richbdd01 and TheRealMcCoy like this.
  3. TheRealMcCoy

Yeah... I had a little tool that came with my table that helps with the tracking force... I can’t find it! Ugh... I’ll keep looking if not I’ll have to buy something... With a small adjustment with my records that play fine be effected? It’s interesting because I have this record on cheap ass vinyl from the 70s plays just fine...

4. Anarchrist

Anarchrist Well-Known Member

How level is it? It has to be PERFECT.

TheRealMcCoy likes this.
  5. TheRealMcCoy

Just checked the level... it was pretty level slightly closer to one of the black lines... made a slight adjustment... no effect.... still the same...

6. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

If you're getting distortion primarily from either the left or right channel, it might be an anti-skate adjustment. Lot's of threads on here to help. I recently used the inner groove method at both 33 and 45rpm until the tonearm was moving very slowly toward the spindle.

Good discussion here: Using HIFI news test record to set anti skate

Also, from what I read the anti-skate adjustment on the Clearaudio is under the table and a PITA. The groove method might be the ticket.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  7. TheRealMcCoy

The problem is its only happening on a few records.... others play just fine no issues...

8. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

And these few records are clean?

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. TheRealMcCoy

They look clean too me... I cleaned one of them just to make sure.... nothing changed...

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Videos of these records playing would help. "Slight warp" could mean anything. If it's a nasty edge warp, that can cause problems.

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Does the skip happen when the stylus traverses the warp?

12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

What records?

13. TheRealMcCoy

First record of RHCP Stadium Arcadium, Pearl Jam VS first pressing... Hampton Hawes All Night Session Vol 2

14. TheRealMcCoy

It seems to...it sounds distorted and wants to skip and will a little.... Always at the beginning of the first track it will clear up usually mid first track or second track...

15. Leonthepro

Well the RHCP is a pretty quality but challenging record anyway so there shouldnt be much of any distortion on a proper setup. I dont recall anything like that anyway.

Maybe the stylus is starting to wear after a year or so.

16. TheRealMcCoy

That would be shocking as I don’t play that much vinyl and other records play just fine

17. Leonthepro

The fact that some other records play fine on its own doesnt mean much. RHCP is a challenging cut, as indicated by the amount of people on Amazon and other places that report skipping and distortion. There isnt any issue like that with the cut that Im aware of, its down to setup.

So I guess theres some issue maybe with alignment, anti skate, VTF or other.

richbdd01 likes this.
  18. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Purely one man's opinion, but I would get a scale and protractor just so you can double check cartridge alignment and VTF yourself, even if you're not comfortable actually making the adjustments. Take nothing for granted, especially since you seem to be having issues on a few records.

Anarchrist and Leonthepro like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Next step is to confirm that the correct VTF is being applied. Get one of the little electronic scales from Amazon. Forget about finding the one somewhere in your house. Let us know when you have accomplished this. :)

rcsrich likes this.
  20. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

Probably not the cause, but maybe worth a check: just wondered if the lift/lower is falling away sufficiently in order for the stylus to plant fully in the groove? Differing record thicknesses could explain why it’s only a few records that are affected.

Leonthepro likes this.
  21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Those 3 days records are probably giving your stylus a workout and exposing either setup or cartridge profile/condition.

How many hours on the cart? Just also want to add that unless you have either a set of scales or you are really nailing the process of floating the tone arm during setup, then tracking could also be out and you may be tracking with too little force like the previous post mentioned.

22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I've got a few LP's that have a hardly noticeable micro "edge warp" near the lead in groove. From the side while playing, it doesn't look like much, but they can bounce the stylus bigtime. Right on the outer edge of the LP. Hate those things.

Spica likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

Has only happened one time to me if I recall, and yeah its very annoying.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

25. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

It seems pretty clear to me that if only three are giving you issues, the problem is with the records. There's not much you can do except clean them but that's probably not going to fix the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.