Disturbing Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayski, Mar 4, 2013.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

OTP layer change. Player dependant it seems. Cheaper players no problem( I've read). I have a BDT500 BD player no probs with Blu Rays just some DVDs it's never bothered me actually trade off for the price. But, my old Sony DVD player had the layer change as well. Wonder what players 4K/ BD that play DVDs that problem doesn't exist and plays DVDs seamlessly?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

O' OK...

3. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Here is the explanation I found: A Serbian Film - Wikipedia

Quote:

“The film was released to great controversy over its portrayal of sexual violence. Spasojević has responded to the controversy with "This is a diary of our own molestation by the Serbian government... It's about the monolithic power of leaders who hypnotize you to do things you don't want to do. You have to feel the violence to know what it's about."

Another way I heard it was how in Serbia, people are getting $&@#%* from birth till death.

psubliminal and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

with that explanation it makes sense...well sort of.

eric777 likes this.
  5. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

There are two movies that I found deeply disturbing. Both movies are straight stories, no special effects, or purposeful shock moments or gory scenes. Both movies are psychological.
    1-) The Pledge - 2001 with Jack Nicholson & other big names. This movie disturbed me so much that I've not been able to watch it again. The other disturbing part connected to this movie and my reaction to it is the fact that a couple of years or so after I was talking with a co-worker who is a movie buff. Since childhood this guy has watched movies from all over the world, Russian films, Japanese, Finnish, Swedish, Hungarian, South American ... you get the idea. For some reason The Pledge came into our discussion and the first thing he said to me was that this movie disturbed him so much he was unable to watch it again. I was totally blown away when he said that. It was the very same reaction that I had & still feel.

2-) The Sweet Here After - 1997, with Ian Holm & Sarah Polley. This has to be the saddest film I've ever seen. Aside from the main incident in the film there are side stories within the film filled with human tragedies. But none of these are overblown or sensationalized. They're part of life and they just seem to happen naturally. The acting is subtle in the sense that it's natural and you can't help but being drawn into what emotional pain these characters are living with. The late Roger Ebert gave this Canadian/U.S. film four stars & this is a copy & paste of the last paragraph of his review :

"This is one of the best films of the year, an unflinching lament for the human condition. Yes, it is told out of sequence, but not as a gimmick: In a way, Egoyan (director Atom Egoyan) has constructed this film in the simplest possible way. It isn't about the beginning and end of the plot, but about the beginning and end of the emotions. In his first scene, the lawyer tells his daughter he doesn't know who he's talking to. In one of his closing scenes, he remembers a time when he did know her. But what did it get him?"

I was 61 when I watched this film last year. I cried through most of it. I've never done that before watching a film.

AndrewS likes this.
  6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't know if Wonderland has been discussed here, but I found it pretty disturbing. The film runs through the backstory and actual events of the Wonderland murders from different perspectives of the characters involved, and at one point the depiction of Val Kilmer's character as actually committing the murders with a crazed semi-smile on his face took the film from just a sort of car wreck that you couldn't look away from to something seriously disturbing for me. I watched it at a former girlfriend's and she loved it which freaked me out even more.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A Nightmare On Elm Street is pretty disturbing- especially compared to the lighter sequels. Freddy Vs. Jason has a really disturbing scene with Freddy in his boiler room...

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Saw "You Were Never Really Here" a couple of weeks ago.

Not much of a date movie.

pdenny and Grunge Master like this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

For everyone who was disturbed by the film version of Salo, you might be interested to know that the original novel was even more depraved and shocking. Just try and read the summary on Wikipedia without feeling your stomach churn!

The 120 Days of Sodom - Wikipedia

10. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I watched Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, directed by Werner Herzog and starring Nicolas Cage (maybe I should have seen it coming). There were a few times in the film where I felt like I was watching an outtake or like the film dropped acid all of a sudden. Lizards, weird voices, weird walks. And for some reason I was expecting a line drawn between good and bad, and expecting Val Kilmer to have some reason to be in the film. It was surreal, and somehow more real because of that.

Claus LH likes this.
  11. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Since the thread is long, a couple of re-caps:

"Santa Sangre" was mentioned once along this thread; it has been a favorite of mine for years. Jodorowsky is one of those directors who truly makes "his own films" and "Sangre" is a Freudian, unsettling, blasphemous masterpiece.

"10 Rillington Place" is an unforgettable slice of "man-next-door horror" , beautifully made and acted. The British "cardigans and teapots" atmosphere just makes it worse.

"Jacob's Ladder" has carved its own niche over the years as a special film; in terms of dealing with mental conditions and perceptions of reality, the film remains as unsettling as the day it was made.

"Snowtown" is as frightening as anything made in the last, say, 30 years. Man is truly the ultimate monster....

And, finally, "The Deathmaker"
    German film consisting of the (documented) interview between a psychologist and a famous 1920es serial killer. Riveting and chilling, the two men plus a stenographer in a one-room setting keep you glued to the screen. So glad I have the DVD of it, because it's one of those that could fall through the cracks in terms of getting onto BR.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    btltez, Holy Diver and Marc 74 like this.
  12. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Yes,that was a brilliant chamber play and George's presence was incredibly intense. Acting at its best.

13. Michael

The factory -netflix...

14. Michael

"Jacob's Ladder"
    one of those oh, yea I got it movies...fabulous and so down.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It says the French government considers Sade's original manuscript to be a national treasure. WTH? What does that say about the French government? That's just wrong.

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Papillon

17. Michael

loved it and I was glad to see Billy Mumy in it as well...great movie.

Platterpus likes this.
  18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Papillon is a great movie but it is kind of disturbing to watch especially for a young kid like myself at that time. I was unaware of Billy Mumy when I originally saw Papillon as a kid on TV back in the late 70s. I became familiar with him on the "It's A Good Life" Twilight Zone episode rerun in the early 80s. I was really surprised to find out many years later that Billy Mumy was one part of the Barnes & Barnes duo.

19. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here is a category of disturbing movies: any movie featuring animal cruelty, especially dogs. It is not enough comfort for a disclaimer to appear at the end "no animals were harmed in the making of this movie, etc."

And it ain't restricted to dogs -- it could be other domesticated animals (cats, rabbits, cows, horses, etc.) or any wild animal as well (I am even disturbed when hunters pose with a dead elk, deer, or mountain lion -- stunning as it may seem, mountain lion is still legal in Arizona, unless they just changed it). Sea life too -- it's disgusting when fisherman boost of killing another shark.

modela likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Whatever you do, DON'T watch "The Adventures Of Milo & Otis"!

altaeria and unclefred like this.
  21. danner

danner Forum Resident

Yeah, for all of the disturbing, weird stuff in Bad Boy Bubby, it was the scenes involving the cat that disturbed me the most.

22. Michael

and his best role as Will Robinson on Lost In Space...

unclefred likes this.
  23. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Animal Cruelty or Killing:

"Cannibal Holocaust"
    "1900"
    "Wake in Fright"
    "Heaven's Gate"
    "Apocalypse Now"
    "Old Boy"
    ...come to mind, along with innumerable Westerns and historical epics using the "flying" leg harness to bring horses crashing to the ground (before that device and its variations were outlawed in most countries)

B. Reeves Eason, assistant director and horse wrangler from the 20es on, had a lot of (horse) blood on his hands between the scrapped footage of the chariot race shot in Rome for "Ben Hur" (1925) and "The Charge of the Light Brigade" (1936). His approach seems to have been: "If they get injured, just kill them; we can always get more."

24. Michael

madman Cage! I liked it..

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Just finished The House That Jack Built. Any Lars Von Triers movie is a difficult watch & hearing the stories of shock & outrage when this was at Cannes (I think), made me expect much worse than it was. There is a ton of grotesque & shocking imagery but without characters that you care about & a decent storyline, it pretty much just left me cold as a walk-in freezer.