Do AV Amplifiers make good Integrated Amplifiers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FloydVivino, Nov 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Anything is possible but "no" is most often the correct answer. There are so many circuits and processing to accommodate video and multi-channel sound that it degrades sound quality. And...home theatre is the priority which means dialogue is the priority, that translates to a very bright if not harsh sound for most music.

2. I’ve got a Marantz AV7705 which is interesting - it’s a multichannel AVR but has no internal amp (I pair it with an Outlaw 5000 amp). For me it’s the best of both worlds, with its primary duties being audio for TV/Blu-rays but sounds great at its price point with two channel audio.

I went with the AV7705 as AVRs get outdated after a couple years due to new versions of HDMI, new video resolutions etc. and this way when I replace it I won’t have to buy a new amp... as opposed to buying an AVR with built-in amp.

head_unit likes this.
  3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not so with mine. Used it for hours on end with music and films. It was a terrific amp. I don't think it's the exception however.

head_unit likes this.
  4. Peter Allison

Peter Allison Forum Resident

I have the Anthem MRX 520 (5.1 only) , it was good as it was in use for 2.0 or 2.1, but added a PS Stellar 300 to power the fronts, now its VERY good, (for the money that is)

head_unit likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

do they make tube AVRs?

Jacob29 and head_unit like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’ve seen a multi channel pre amp section with tubes but it’s not common.

head_unit and avanti1960 like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For a given budget, the more channels it has, the more formats it supports, the less of the total budget is spent on audio quality. Don't compare the vintage unit to a new unit unless it's been on the bench and known to operate to specifications.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I will also add that using a separate power amp is the best thing you can do. The amplification section of these AVR units are almost always terrible. Yes, there are exceptions but a good amp is a heavy amp. If you think you are getting five channels of good 100 watt power, out of a unit that weighs 40lbs, you are wrong.

McLover likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Such AVRs exist but they’re usually flagship models priced over $1K and/or have class-D amp modules.

DavidR likes this.
  10. frcnorth

frcnorth Forum Resident

My vote is, yes, they do. Or, at least the one I have.

About a year ago, I purchased a used Denon 5803 for $395.00 ($4300.00 when new) to set up an all analog system. It has outstanding build quality, enough power to drive almost any speaker (170 WPC, two channels driven), excellent DAC's, and makes it very easy to include a sub-woofer for a 2.1 system (which I prefer and quite like). The sound is robust, detailed, expansive and very enjoyable, whether I am listening to my turntable, cassette deck, or reel-to-reel player.

I'm probably easily pleased when it comes to most things equipment related and those that have listened to it have come away quite impressed themselves.

11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I think many folks would feel the AVR sounds good enough to be 'good'. The problem comes when you put in the integrated or external amps later and find out that the AVR actually wasn't as good as you thought. Then you wonder if the new ones are maybe not that good either and what you might be missing...

Razakoz likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It would really depend on the particular AVR. ASR has tested a number of AVRs and the performance varies from "pretty damn good" to "awful". Brand and price are no guarantee of anything either.

For most people interested in 2 channel, I would stick with a 2 channel amp instead. Some people may use AVRs for practical reasons, e.g. they have a home theater system and don't want 2 systems, OR they are on tight budgets and bought a used AVR cheap.

13. Not necessarily. It depends on economies of scale (big manufacturers win here) too.

14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My cheap Yamaha "Natural Sound" AV @ 105 watts/channel never leaves me disappointed. EVER!

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’ve spent more than 2k a couple of times, on a denon and a Marantz. Using the pre outs and adding a separate power amp was a very big deal in both cases. I agree with your point but I think the price is going to be quite a bit higher than $1,000.

and to be clear, I’ve listened to plenty of music on those AVR’s and had a fine time doing so. The question of this thread really all depends on your threshold for “good”. Whatever that may be, a two channel amp that doesn’t take in a video signal, doesn’t have DSP and has more substantial power supplies is going to be “better” for listening to music.

head_unit, Helom and Razakoz like this.
  16. My AVR weighs over 20 Kilos. Pretty heavy.

head_unit likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ever heard of the thing called Cost Cutting. The more channels for a price, the cheaper the quality was true even with big brand names in Quadraphonic, and those were better performers often than most AVR units if not 99% of them. An example, a Sansui 5500 was a better receiver than say a Sansui QRX 7500 for Stereo use. Both cost close to each other when new. The 5500 had more power than the QRX. And also was more reliable, and easier to service. AVR is best if you must have surround, if movies, video and gaming is important to you. 2 channel is better for music, and still is even today. Big manufacturers also tend to have to cheapen their products because of discounting by their willingness to sell them at every big box discounter.

head_unit and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Not really. I have a Sansui 9090 that makes 110wpc (2ch) and it weighs that much. My five channel power amp comes in at 40 kilos (90lb) and that’s without any of the weight that would be included with the preamp functions. Hell, I have a 2ch power amp that weighs 125lbs. “Pretty heavy” in terms of audio equipment means you need help moving it.

head_unit and Kiko1974 like this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No, how can you make tube surround decoding, HDMI, DSP, and their ilk. Also, AVR units are hot enough as they are without tubes crammed in there. Remember an AVR is part computer.

head_unit likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Try more like $4500-$6500 flagship models. And Class D is for me, not an amplifier I like to listen to for long periods of time. No IC chip amps please. For that kind of money, I also expect it to be repairable many years later, not landfill.

rodentdog and head_unit like this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not my experience I have to say.

I had demo'd an Exposure 3010s, a Leema Pulse, and had heard not long before, a Harman HK990 with a view to getting an amp upgrade, but I still went with the Onkyo amp. It was a terrific amp and had I not moved to a house with a sligthly smaller lounge, I'd still have it. Ample power - I only ever used it as a two channel amp and it was going into a pair of smaller Tannoy DC4s.

Plus it gave me functionality and connectivity that integrated amps of the day simply did not deliver. We were in a 21st century with 1980s thinking.

head_unit and unclefred like this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My definition of "Pretty Heavy" if not "Heavy". 2 strong man lift.

head_unit and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

This is on the money. If you don’t need or use these function or sources, there is no need for an AVR for listening to music. I get there are guys on this thread that get offended if you suggest there is a compromise in sound quality for listening to music through and AVR. I’m sure you are all having a good time listening to music but objectively, it’s a trade off. Sure, there are some very nice AVR’s that sound better than very poor 2ch amps but that’s the exception not the rule.

head_unit, McLover and Helom like this.
  24. Helom

Helom Forum member

That was the approximate power spec of a cheapo Yamaha AVR I owned about 10 years ago. It was fried in a storm and I subsequently bought the 2-channel 75WPC Yamaha R-S500 receiver, a real ear-opening experience.

Bingo Bongo, DavidR and head_unit like this.
  25. Yuan

Yuan Member

Here is an interesting read.
    It would be very interesting to see a double bild testing. AVRs vs intergrated amps with similar power ratings.

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Shawn and head_unit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.