Do I actually need any post 1976 Dylan albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oscillation, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

Desire is an acquired taste I agree. And if you can sit through Joey undistracted you're probably in need of some form of medical aid...Still lots of songs there I love and wouldn't give up, my oldest kid keeps requesting Hurricane so...

2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Well, I mean...I consider stuff like Infidels and Oh Mercy pretty essential stuff (among others) but of course your mileage may vary. Techically you don't need any of it, but its up to you to decide if you want it or not. /shrug

Library Eye likes this.
  3. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

of course not

take care of yourself and get plenty of rest

4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

If you don't like it there's nothing wrong with you. To me it's the diff between Bob Dylan anbd "Bob Dylan."

"Bob" was never as intersting to me as Bob. You don't have a duty to follow someone forever. Music and the muse jump from one person to another.

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Oh my goodness. My hand would cramp up typing out everything you need to listen to.

oskaraleman, Uncle Miles and Vaughan like this.
  6. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I think Time Out of Mind is his best thing for years and up there with the 70s stuff.

Anything else from the later years doesn’t do it for me.

frightwigwam and CybrKhatru like this.
  7. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

this is great

8. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

Get the Masked and Anonymous soundtrack if only for Bob’s reworking of Cold Irons Bound, stay for Shirley Caesar (Gotta Serve Somebody), the Dixie Hummingbirds City of Gold, a Japanese language version of My Back Pages, an Italian hip-hop take on Like a Rolling Stone, One More Cup of Coffee from Turkish pop star Sertab Erener, and a gentle, spoken-word Most of the Time by Swedish singer Sophie Zelmani.

He contains multitudes.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  9. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I love Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind... so, for me, it would be tough to live without those.

10. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

I mean, when somebody's got a body of work as big as Dylan's you've got to be willing to go along with it and appreciate what Dylan is (or was) at that moment. And of course, it's tough (even impossible) in some cases to appreciate what that is--I'm thinking Knocked Out Loaded, for example. So a strict comparison of "Is SONG X from the 2000s better than When the Ship Comes In (or some other utter classic)?" sort of sets things up to fail. That said, there are numerous post-'76 songs that stand shoulder to shoulder with his best earlier work, in my opinion. Much of Infidels, most of Oh Mercy, nearly all of Time Out of Mind and Love & Theft, and a grab-bag of stuff from the religious records should all be explored if you're interested in hearing how Dylan evolved. If you just want that 60s-style Bob, then you've still got loads of outtakes and Bootleg Series stuff to dig into. Whether you go broad or go deep w Dylan, you're gonna find more winners than losers.

JP Christian likes this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm not a massive Dylan fan but I'd recommend:
    Street Legal
    Infidels
    Oh Mercy

Echoes Myron, Library Eye and ARL like this.
  12. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

If you have to ask, then no, you don't deserve them.

13. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

My favourite and most played, yes I know it’s not “ the best” but it’s my favourite- go figure!

peace and love✌Dave

nsm, limoges and Who'sTommy like this.
  14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Not sure why you’re using 1976 as a cut-off point. The Street Legal album is outstanding and my personal favourite, though I know it has its detractors. The ‘Jesus Trilogy’ may not be for everyone lyrically but it’s by no means for ‘believers’ only.

I’ll admit to finding his work a lot less compelling after 1981 and his current stuff doesn’t do much for me at all. But I’d definitely acquire Street Legal, as you’ll probably like it, even if you initially react against the ‘big band’ sound.

15. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

But the fact that you're asking, means you're curious... so you'll eventually get there on your own anyway.

16. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Shot of Love is a masterpiece, and Zim, himself, still considers it one of his most artistically successful.

DJ WILBUR, Echoes Myron, nsm and 4 others like this.
  17. styler

styler Senior Member

yes! i prefer the last 3rd of dylans career. Oh Mercy!, Time Out of Mind, Street Legal, Tempest, Modern Times, Love and Theft, world Gone Wrong, Slow Train Coming and Shot of Love.. plus the Bootleg Series, of particular note is Tell Tale Signs, which if i could have only one Dylan album it might be the one i'd choose. the pop standards albums didnt do it for me, nor did a couple 1980s flops but theres a lot of great post Blood on the Tracks music.

the duds: Knocked Out Loaded, Empire Burlesque, Dylan and the Dead, Down in the Groove, Under the Red Sky - though each of the albums have at least one good song.

DJ WILBUR and The MEZ like this.
  18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That's one of my faves (and Every Grain of Sand geta my vote as Dylan's masterpiece) along with Oh Mercy, Tempest, Love & Theft and Infidels. Slow Train Coming is good too.

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  19. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

Top five:
    Street-Legal
    Love and Theft
    Time Out of Mind
    Tempest
    Oh Mercy

Mid-tier:
    Rough and Rowdy Ways
    Slow Train Coming
    Together Through Life
    Infidels
    Modern Times

Not essential:*
    Good as I've Been to You
    Shot of Love
    Saved
    World Gone Wrong
    Knocked Out Loaded
    Under the Red Sky
    Down in the Groove
    Empire Burlesque
    Triplicate
    Fallen Angels
    Christmas in the Heart

*Maybe some of these are essential. Maybe they all are. It's freaking Dylan. I haven't had enough time with the last group to properly form an opinion.

Tommy Jay and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. MWebb

MWebb You and me...we died a long, long time ago

I took some time to warm up to the later period Dylan, but Oh Mercy, which I initially was very tepid on, is honestly one of my favorites in his extremely deep catalog at this point. Most of the Time is one of my stone favorite Dylan tracks.

For super current period Dylan I wasn't particularly convinced by the Sinatra albums, but Rough and Rowdy Ways has some definite flourishes on it. I particularly like the vibe on Key West, and I imagine you have heard Murder Most Foul if you have even a passing interest in Dylan at this point.

Tommy Jay and Echoes Myron like this.
  21. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

I'm pretty much in agreement with Sipuncula except for World Gone Wrong, which is the most definitive and concise history of old folk music by any artist. Every vocal is steeped in generations of musical tradition and Bob's playing is exemplary.

Spitfire likes this.
  22. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

we need to define "need".

onlyconnect and frightwigwam like this.
  23. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

The Bootleg Series Volume 3 starts with a 1974 outtake, then three Desire-era numbers, but from track 5 on it's 1979 through 1989, is full of quality selections, and has this three song sequence of Infidels outtakes which I think matches the level of his 60s and 70s primes:
    12. "Lord Protect My Child" (May 3, 1983)
    13. "Foot of Pride" (April 25, 1983)
    14. "Blind Willie McTell" (May 5, 1983)​
    …and it comes with the first two discs covering the years you're already fond of.

24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I think that Oh Mercy is great and this tune is one of his finest performances:

25. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

His opportunities to do a solo at Bob Dylan shows was somewhat limited...

Funky Boss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.