Do I have to decide between having an automatic turntable and a good turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oscillation, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For full automatic, I now own both a Dual 1019 and own a Technics SL-1300. The SL-1700 is superb, and a good solid, reliable, durable semi automatic. Congratulations!!

Slick Willie likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You're not offending. I move like a drunken pub-crawler with a few brews down the hatch. I enjoy my music and my brew in the evening. And I've owned many Duals (and went to Technics later on at home as an option). I do keep cueing operational on them. If I don't feel like changing records, I have my Otari MX 5050 B II tape machines.

rcsrich likes this.
  3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Here's my Technics SL-Q2 that I picked up recently at a hobby shop for $100. It came in the original box and everything works perfectly except the "stop" function, which gums up with hardened grease from what I understand. Right below it in the cabinet I have my modded SL-1200mk5, which does not get the same amount of playing time anymore. I am going to fill the plinth up with plasticine and install RCA jacks in the back. Does it sound as good as my SL-1200mk5? No, but it's sure a hell of a lot more fun and convenient.

[​IMG]

Oelewapper, rcsrich and Slick Willie like this.
  4. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

I think it's probably a combination of the shipping, having to outfit it for 220V/50 Hz and the swanky, brand new, custom wood base and smoked dustcover. He's going to check back with me once he figures out the shipping, the 1K was a ballpark he gave me.

5. Oscillation

I should probably just get one of these German Dual guys on the phone, they all speak perfect English, it's their web pages that are indecipherable! But having google translated the most popular ones, it seems like something equivalent here would cost me north of 700 Euros which is pretty much 900 bucks at the moment.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Ah yes, if he needs to get some specific type of dusctover, it could get expensive real quick - especially in "as new" condition.
    Even more so for a custom made wooden base...
    But why does it need voltage conversion?
    All of Europe is 230V @ 50Hz nowadays.
    Is it imported back (made in Germany) from the US?

7. Oscillation

Yeah those are were all among my top choices. The top problem here seems to be finding them at 220V

8. Oscillation

U.S. for that one. fixmydual.com Also, apparently they are making their own custom wood bases and dustcovers, so it's all in house.

Radio and Oelewapper like this.
  9. Oscillation

The thing is, if I go with the Dual, I have to find a phono stage. The preamp in my integrated amp is tubes, which means I must keep the early stage tube pathway in tact. Which I can't help but imagine involves some careful tube matching. Nevertheless, I shall persevere in my quest! This is maybe a positive as it allows me to customize my phono stage, why? Because I must!

10. Oscillation

So here's the thing, finally an SL-1300 that has apparently been overhauled, but for 749 CHF which equates to like $830, and with an old cartridge and stylus.

https://www.ricardo.ch/fr/a/843414098

Why wouldn't I not shell out the extra 100 bucks and get the dual from a company that's a known commodity? Plus the Dual has style points over the Technics, imo.

11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I just saw this thread.

For a decade, I've had both a fully automatic and a manual turntable in my high-end system. My reason for having both might be unique. I also have a whole house music system. The phono system is one of the house system's sources. When I'm listening to a record while cleaning house, or cooking in the kitchen, or sitting out front, watching the river flow, I'll use the automatic. I like listening to a kick-ass, rock 'n' roll album while I'm taking my morning shower. If the record ends, I don't have to worry about it.

When I'm sitting down in my listening chair, I always use the manual. It sounds better. When I need convenience, I'll use the automatic.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    DaleClark likes this.
  12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Is that $830 USD? With shipping?

Anyhoo, the Dual will reqire some regular adjustments/maintenance.
    The 1300 should not.
    But you have to go with what pleases you.

13. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

The lack of return feature can be done with a simple device like the Q-up for under $40.00.

The real concern for me is the amount of new tables on the market that don’t even come with a freaking dust cover. I think it’s ridiculous to spend thousands of dollars on a turntable and then go have to buy a $250+ after market dust cover for it.

The Pinhead and Oelewapper like this.
  14. Slick Willie

And no hinges.

beowulf likes this.
  15. VictoryHighway

VictoryHighway Use of goto is deprecated.

I ended up getting one of these based on his video. I absolutely love it.

Pinknik likes this.
  16. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Funny you should mention that, my fancy Dynavector went into the label of a LP recently, after hitting a hair which was adhered to the record. Neither record nor cartridge/ stylus was damaged.

17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.............there's no better than that one when it comes to vintage TTs. My dream TT for sure but big bucks down here (2K)

Bandeja Giradisco Denon Dp-45f - $ 300.000

18. Oscillation

How much did you pay? If you don't mind my asking.

19. Slick Willie

Be careful, many things can go wrong with those tables. They can quickly become a nightmare.

20. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

I haven’t read all answers to your question but I think that many of the 1970’s half automatic and fully automatic turntables are much better than many of the turntables today. I have a Pioneer PL-540 and that is incredible solid and good sounding. It has automatic return.

I had a Rega RP6 and it was to me not as good. I sold it and have never looked back.

Bruno Primas likes this.
  21. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Sounds like the stories of servicing a gummed up Dual mechanism :p
    AFAIK, mechanical complexity is often a thing with older automatics.

22. Slick Willie

True, but that Denon goes beyond just mechanical complexity.
    Auto VTF, size, speed selection are way too complex for the average person to ttoubleshoot. And that table has even more cool features!
    I don't even like controls that reside outside the dust cover.

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. VictoryHighway

VictoryHighway Use of goto is deprecated.

It was about $1000, including shipping. This particular seller did include many updates to the ‘table, including a new dust cover, new isolation feet, a brand new Sumiko Olympia cart (alone a $200 value), a 120V to 100V step down xfmr, and a record clamp that doubles as a bubble level. The previous owner also recapped it with Nichicon caps. Maybe I paid too much, but I’m happy with it.

Ingenieur likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Even figuring as much as $150 shipping, it is a bit high. But if it holds up...worth it.
    You might have done better, but who wants a $500 display piece.

25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Own both a Dual 1009sk and Technics SL1200mk5 and a Technics SL1200G. All great tables audio wise for different reasons. You don’t have to sacrifice imo. Depends on what you want to do :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.